Post something you've learnt today

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Samoan

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Samoan » 25 Oct 2021, 14:02

Horses are able to sleep both standing up and lying down.
They can tolerate long distance aeroplane flights (for example, transporting them to Olympic Games events) but the plane flies with an equine vet aboard as well as the horses' familiar personal grooms. They need sufficient space to be able to put their heads completely down to eat and drink although they can graze on a little hay with their heads up.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Flower

Postby Flower » 25 Oct 2021, 21:11

Today is International Artist Day.

https://nationaltoday.com/international-artist-day/

We celebrate International Artist Day on October 25. Art as a creative human expression encapsulates myriad things. It portrays the beauty of life or a bitter reality. It records history, revolutions, rebellions, and sometimes is a means to escape them. In short, there is no history or culture without art. This day celebrates all forms of art — paintings, sculpture, photography, architecture, music, and more. Through this celebration we show our respect for the passion and creativity in all artists.

History of International Artist Day

In the summer of 1961 President Kennedy made an effort to settle a salary dispute between the Metropolitan Opera and the American Federation of Musicians. He succeeded. Kennedy’s actions signaled his passion for the arts. Congress, in the mid 60s, designated the National Cultural Center, launched in 1958, as a “living memorial” to President Kennedy and authorized $23 million to begin construction. It’s now simply known as the Kennedy Center.

The following year President Johnson signed the National Foundation on the Arts & the Humanities Act, which created the National Endowment for the Arts.

By 1970 focus on the arts increasingly spread to television and cinema. Mobil Oil committed more than $1 million to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting for presentation of Masterpiece Theatre on PBS — and for 5 million copies of new Sesame Street magazine to be given free to preschool children in low-income neighborhoods. This was the largest gift to CPB from the business community to date......
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 28 Oct 2021, 07:19

Today's featured article in Wikipedia is about a woman who founded the RSPB and was a member of the the Women's National Anti-Suffrage League. She seems like a real sour-puss, which may not not be all that surprising given that she was called Etta Lemon.

Good job she didn't marry Sir Henry Puffin. I think she should have wed Simeon Nicecream.
Bugger off.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 28 Oct 2021, 15:34

Found out today (and yesterday) that Cincinnati is an absolute shithole. My wife is doing a Djembe course there and I decided to tag along for a road trip. Can't wait to cross the Ohio in Southern direction tomorrow morning. We spent Monday night in Memphis. It's not much better, although an outdoor concert by Cowboy Neal & The Real Deal made us happier than we'd ever by in Cincy.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 28 Oct 2021, 16:30

I don't know Cinci, but man I love Memphis.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 28 Oct 2021, 17:11

My old band played in Cincinnati once, and that was enough. I do remember a cool little guitar shop down the street from where we played, and there was a pretty great teevee show based on town, but that's about it.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Six String

Postby Six String » 28 Oct 2021, 17:14

mudshark wrote:Found out today (and yesterday) that Cincinnati is an absolute shithole. My wife is doing a Djembe course there and I decided to tag along for a road trip. Can't wait to cross the Ohio in Southern direction tomorrow morning. We spent Monday night in Memphis. It's not much better, although an outdoor concert by Cowboy Neal & The Real Deal made us happier than we'd ever by in Cincy.

Djembe as in drum? Is she a student or a teacher? I play a little djembe myself.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 28 Oct 2021, 18:27

Charlie O. wrote:I don't know Cinci, but man I love Memphis.

I was watching a William Eggleston documentary the other night and had the same thought (about Memphis). Been too long.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 28 Oct 2021, 19:11

der Freiherr wrote:

I was watching a William Eggleston documentary the other night and had the same thought (about Memphis). Been too long.

2025 - 20th anniversary ?
We're way past rhubarb

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 28 Oct 2021, 19:26

The Fish wrote:
der Freiherr wrote:

2025 - 20th anniversary ?

:shock:
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Six String

Postby Six String » 28 Oct 2021, 19:40

:o :shock: :o :shock:
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 28 Oct 2021, 20:06

Six String: yes, Djembe as in drumming. She's very good and this course will enable her to become a teacher. Do you know Mattress Mack from Gallery Furniture in Houston? He's a true believer of the good drumming does for mental health. My daughter and I are in a group that play at this Katy store every Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday. Not always the same drummers, of course. The leader/teacher is a 75 year old Vietnam veteran turned monk and he's losing it a bit so my wife is going to sort of help him with the teaching of new rhythms etc. I play a bit as well, with emphasis to 'a bit'. I may as well try to follow Dweezil playing the solo in Watermelon In Easter Hay.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 28 Oct 2021, 20:11

Charlie: It was nice enough on Beale Street, but the town as a whole is just in such a bad shape. There's enough people roaming the streets to fill three mid-size asylums. This road trip (we stopped over in Shreveport and Louisville as well (just a couple of hours) and it makes you realize that this country needs a major overhaul.

Six String

Postby Six String » 28 Oct 2021, 21:11

mudshark wrote:Six String: yes, Djembe as in drumming. She's very good and this course will enable her to become a teacher. Do you know Mattress Mack from Gallery Furniture in Houston? He's a true believer of the good drumming does for mental health. My daughter and I are in a group that play at this Katy store every Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday. Not always the same drummers, of course. The leader/teacher is a 75 year old Vietnam veteran turned monk and he's losing it a bit so my wife is going to sort of help him with the teaching of new rhythms etc. I play a bit as well, with emphasis to 'a bit'. I may as well try to follow Dweezil playing the solo in Watermelon In Easter Hay.

That’s cool. Back in 2019 a conga player started a drum circle on Sunday afternoons at the cider tasting room I frequent. I brought my Djembe, dumbek and a small pair of ceramic African drums every week and we had some fun times over the summer. We never achieved a large group but we had several other participants that made it worth while. It stopped around October as the inside of the tasting room is too small to support such a thing. I get a lot of joy out of playing them, especially my full on trap set.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Flower

Postby Flower » 31 Oct 2021, 12:52

That there is something called a "Piecaken" ... does NOT seem appealing.

Piecaken is when a pie is baked within a cake. The outside it looks like a typical cake but when you slice a piece you get pie within it.” Piecaken looks like a cake from the outside, but cutting a slice of it reveals the pie that was baked inside.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 31 Oct 2021, 22:46

Not appealing sez you!

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 02 Nov 2021, 15:11

You can make sourdough with coconut milk!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 02 Nov 2021, 21:40

Stanley Tucci makes a Negroni with equal parts gin and vodka!

Flower

Postby Flower » 04 Nov 2021, 12:01

That there is an author who was named John Sanford, not to be confused with current author John Sandford (David Camp) ... I'll have to check out Sanford at some point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Sanford_(author)

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 05 Nov 2021, 11:44

The UK has an extremely low robot to worker ratio. 15 per 10,000 industrial workers, compared to 531 in South Korea.
Bugger off.

Return to “Nextdoorland”