Lord Rother’s One a Day

Do talk back
Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Re: Lord Rother’s One a Day

Postby Rorschach » 13 Oct 2021, 09:44

Lord Rother wrote:Beautiful.

I really can't make up my mind about her.
I have several tracks from this album and Titanic Rising on my 'Music to Work by' playlist and it does a fine job of sounding pleasant but unobtrusive in the background. But, when I listen to her properly, I find myself swinging between 'This is the most gorgeous music ever!' and 'It's a bit meh'.

I suspect/hope she has a real killer album, just about to burst out of her.
Bugger off.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 13 Oct 2021, 13:28

Rorschach wrote:I really can't make up my mind about her.
I have several tracks from this album and Titanic Rising on my 'Music to Work by' playlist and it does a fine job of sounding pleasant but unobtrusive in the background. But, when I listen to her properly, I find myself swinging between 'This is the most gorgeous music ever!' and 'It's a bit meh'.

I suspect/hope she has a real killer album, just about to burst out of her.

I know exactly what you mean.

robertff

Postby robertff » 13 Oct 2021, 14:58

Lord Rother wrote:Hard to like but boy did they put out some great songs. Not a single, but just a brilliant track.

Not that hard and they did put put some great music, one of my favourites is All Around The World from the much maligned Be Here Now album. Funny how minds get changed, I remember that getting a thumbs up 5* review form loads of mags, now it's often written off.

Took my son who was/is a massive fan to see Oasis at Wembley. They had good support acts Happy Mondays and the Doves, the latter good, the former excellent, in fact better than Oasis - my son didn't think so.

robertff

Postby robertff » 13 Oct 2021, 14:59

Lord Rother wrote:The marvellous folk artist Clive Gregson with his pop band Any Trouble before he went down the folk path.

Think I've got this, I'll have to check.

robertff

Postby robertff » 13 Oct 2021, 15:00

Lord Rother wrote:1st song I ever heard by Porcupine Tree

Really good band.

robertff

Postby robertff » 13 Oct 2021, 15:04

Lord Rother wrote:

Have got the deluxe box vinyl set of this - well it did cost very little. Underwhelming I would say, as was the film, always thought Zep were better in the studio than live, saw them twice.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 13 Oct 2021, 17:14

robertff wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:

Have got the deluxe box vinyl set of this - well it did cost very little. Underwhelming I would say, as was the film, always thought Zep were better in the studio than live, saw them twice.

Led Zep II was my intro, but this came swiftly afterwards in my listening, and I've always loved it. The versions of Rain Song and No Quarter particularly good for me - also, although it's undoubtedly overblown / overlong I love Dazed and Confused on this. (Moby Dick I tend to skip.)

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 13 Oct 2021, 17:15

robertff wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:Hard to like but boy did they put out some great songs. Not a single, but just a brilliant track.

Not that hard and they did put put some great music, one of my favourites is All Around The World from the much maligned Be Here Now album. Funny how minds get changed, I remember that getting a thumbs up 5* review form loads of mags, now it's often written off.

Took my son who was/is a massive fan to see Oasis at Wembley. They had good support acts Happy Mondays and the Doves, the latter good, the former excellent, in fact better than Oasis - my son didn't think so.

Be Here Now is ace. (I think that's my drive home music sorted for tonight.)

(The hard to like comment was about the brothers as individuals. Although they were probably overhyped / over-rated at the time ("greatest band on the planet" and all that), their music is under-rated now. Odd really, I think it stands up pretty well.)

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 13 Oct 2021, 22:48

Swedish band’s debut album from the noughties - now disbanded but it’s a mellotron fuelled retro prog rock album that was full of promise.

Black Bonzo - Where the River Meets the Sea (from the album Lady of The Light). Well worth a listen.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 13 Oct 2021, 23:09

robertff wrote:

I know I'm the odd ball here but I love just about everything Oasis has done, Including the 00's albums. Did they have duds on each album yes but still very good songs on all albums. This track is a good one.

Robert - Doves are one of my favorite acts of the 00's. Their album this year even has a few good songs.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 13 Oct 2021, 23:15

robertff wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:1st song I ever heard by Porcupine Tree

Really good band.

sometime in 99 I heard The Sky Moves Sideways and loved it but didn't delve into their other stuff.
a few years later I was heading to my first NEARfest and they were on the bill. so bought Lightbulb Sun which I'm a fan of but not their best.
After seeing them live I was sold. The added addition of Gavin Harrison I think molded this band into the amazing category.

Love Blackest Eyes!

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 14 Oct 2021, 01:22

The first PT track I heard was Radioactive Toy. A Prog loving friend of mine was trying to convince me that there was still good modern Prog music after he heard me dismiss it as mostly rubbish. He compiled two 90 minute cassettes full of stuff which I found mostly bland and dull but Radioactive Toy really stood out from the rest. I told him I loved that one but was largely unimpressed with the rest so he gave me cassette copies of the first two albums and we went to see him live for The Sky Moves Sideways tour (just in a pub at that time). I was hooked from then on.

Blackest Eyes is a great track from one of the best PT albums.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 14 Oct 2021, 19:52

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 16 Oct 2021, 13:02

Parts 3 & 4 of a wonderful epic.

C
Robust

Postby C » 16 Oct 2021, 13:39

robertff wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:The marvellous folk artist Clive Gregson with his pop band Any Trouble before he went down the folk path.

Think I've got this, I'll have to check.

I love his stuff with Christine Collister

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 19 Oct 2021, 06:47

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 21 Oct 2021, 05:57

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 21 Oct 2021, 07:21

Lord Rother wrote:

I'd never heard anything except Sabre Dance before (which I would love if they cut about a minute off it) and it turns out it's not my cup of tea.
I feel like they could have pulled a very nice, brief solo out of that, but extended blues noodling in an Albert King style (or any other for that matter) really isn't my thing.
They seem to be extremely competent at what they do so I imagine it's great if you like that sort of thing.
Bugger off.

robertff

Postby robertff » 21 Oct 2021, 09:52

Lord Rother wrote:

They were good for an album.

robertff

Postby robertff » 21 Oct 2021, 09:54

Lord Rother wrote:

Got a lot of time for Echo and the Bunnymen.

Return to “Yakety Yak”