REAP CORNER

Do talk back
robertff

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby robertff » 08 Oct 2021, 16:08

C wrote:
robertff wrote:NP

Pretty good intro comp. if you've never heard any prog.

I would enjoy playing that Rob.

As you say a good intro.

It's a shame (I think) that a lot of the selections are predictable but then again that is why it would make a good intro to prog(!)

Camel- always something from bloody Snow Goose...!

That’s all they did C. isn’t it? :D

Actually playing it now as I tap away.

robertff

Postby robertff » 08 Oct 2021, 16:14

mudshark wrote:Thanks for the unfortunately underwhelming advice on Stand Up. Vinyl is in excellent condition. But it certainly is no first pressing. It has the Palm Label. I'll get back to work.

Sadly most LPs that aren’t first pressings or incredibly rare aren’t worth very much, particularly from that era, as many albums sold in hundreds of thousands or even millions. Nowadays if you sell 12 in any format you get to number 1!

Well not quite 12 but you know what I mean.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Oct 2021, 16:15

I wouldn't classify Procol Harum as prog either. The songs on side two of their second LP might count, especially when they lumped them together as one track on the live album. Otherwise...

robertff

Postby robertff » 08 Oct 2021, 16:22

Matt Wilson wrote:I wouldn't classify Procol Harum as prog either. The songs on side two of their second LP might count, especially when they lumped them together as one track on the live album. Otherwise...

More progressive rock than prog rock I’d agree Matt.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Oct 2021, 16:24

You guys are gonna have to school me on the exact distinction between those two terms again. I use them as synonyms.

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Oct 2021, 16:29

NP

I love me a bit of Ravi

Matt - join us this evening/afternoon

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Oct 2021, 16:32

Stephen, you gotta remember I'm a lowly public school teacher who works Monday through Friday. I'm at work right now, in fact.

If you did these syncs on Saturday...

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Oct 2021, 16:51

Matt Wilson wrote:Stephen, you gotta remember I'm a lowly public school teacher who works Monday through Friday. I'm at work right now, in fact.

Yes, sorry Matt - I don't remember (ie I keep forgetting)

:D
Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 08 Oct 2021, 17:18

C wrote:
robertff wrote:That was the trouble with so many prog groups, great musicians but many of them didn't have a decent vocalist

Thanks gawd for Lee Jackson!

NP

Ha ha! He certainly was distinctive.

Steve Hogarth, Fish, Annie Haslam, John Wetton, Sonya Cristina were all pretty good.
“Erratic associate member”

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 08 Oct 2021, 17:53

Neil Jung wrote:
C wrote:
robertff wrote:That was the trouble with so many prog groups, great musicians but many of them didn't have a decent vocalist

Thanks gawd for Lee Jackson!

NP

Ha ha! He certainly was distinctive.

Steve Hogarth, Fish, Annie Haslam, John Wetton, Sonya Cristina were all pretty good.

Fish? Gabriel clone. Annie? Sandy Denny clone. John Wetton? Non descript. Sonja? Just so WEAK

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Oct 2021, 17:59

You could have said Wetton was a Greg Lake clone too.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 08 Oct 2021, 18:05

Matt Wilson wrote:You could have said Wetton was a Greg Lake clone too.

I should have called it "Send in the clones"

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Oct 2021, 18:45

slightbreeze wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:You could have said Wetton was a Greg Lake clone too.

I should have called it "Send in the clones"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good lad - I chuckled out loud!

:lol:

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Oct 2021, 18:46

Was Sonja a clone....?

Maggie Bell perhaps

Elkie Brooks

Discuss

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Oct 2021, 18:47

Annie Haslam

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 08 Oct 2021, 19:33

Matt Wilson wrote:Annie Haslam

What about her? I said she was good. Some cloth eared fool said she was a Sandy Denny clone.
“Erratic associate member”

robertff

Postby robertff » 08 Oct 2021, 20:07

Matt Wilson wrote:You guys are gonna have to school me on the exact distinction between those two terms again. I use them as synonyms.

I'll try Matt.

In the late 60s and early 70s you could walk into record shops and they would have records in various sections as many still do, so there might have been pop, blues, jazz, etc. and one that started to creep in was underground. Underground came about as an amalgam of the British Blues Boom and psychedelia. Anything really that John Peel wanted to play on his Perfumed Garden radio programme really. In this section you might find bands find bands like Cream, Jim Hendrix, Family, Tyrannosaurus Rex,Ten Years After, early Jethro Tull, Taste, Jefferson Airplane, The Doors, Keef Hartley Band, Colosseum, Pink Floyd etc.

However, underground fairly quickly mutated into progressive, perhaps as a result of a number of record labels starting to put progressive on the spines of record covers I guess to help stockists and the music press. So these bands then became progressive because they were being experimental in their approach. As an example, the first two Fleetwood Mac albums would have been listed under Blues, or even Pop as they sold well, but the third would have been under the term progressive because to took the music beyond straight blues, it went further than the blues, it progressed, so was progressive.The first two Yes albums were progressive, same as the first two King Crimson albums, the first three Jethro Tull albums, John Mayall's Bare Wires and Laurel Canyon, Floyd's Atom Heart Mother, TYA's Ssssh, Free's albums, Atomic Rooster's first couple, Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come, Groundhog's Thank Christ and Split, Led Zep's albums, Beefheart's albums, Sabs', Deep Purple's, Fairport's, all these would have been termed progressive, although after a while some of them mutated into other genres but for a while there were progressive.

The 'Prog' nomenclature really came into its own around the time of The Yes Album when the music was taken to another more complicated, longer tracks, symphonic level, an extension of progressive. The Nice were progressive but ELP became prog which is a pretty good example. Close To The Edge was prog, the Yes album would still just have come under the banner of progressive. Aqualung was progressive, TAAB became prog.

I don't know if this helps Matt, C. might want to come in and add more but, briefly and hurriedly, this is how I understand the two terms and I think C. and I understand it in the same way. Hopefully he might shed more light. Others of course might completely disagree but this is how I remember it to be.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Oct 2021, 20:22

Okay, so from that description I'm understanding that "prog" as we use that term today encompasses all the groups we discuss and wank over, while "progressive" simply means the late sixties batch of bands which were taking rock into another level from its simplistic origins. Thus, Hendrix/Cream could be progressive, but once the term prog came about, they wouldn't fit the bill.

In other words, "progressive" isn't really used the way it was over fifty years ago.

Bet I'll still use them interchangeably though...

robertff

Postby robertff » 09 Oct 2021, 10:21

Matt Wilson wrote:Okay, so from that description I'm understanding that "prog" as we use that term today encompasses all the groups we discuss and wank over, while "progressive" simply means the late sixties batch of bands which were taking rock into another level from its simplistic origins. Thus, Hendrix/Cream could be progressive, but once the term prog came about, they wouldn't fit the bill.

In other words, "progressive" isn't really used the way it was over fifty years ago.

Bet I'll still use them interchangeably though...

Hendrix, Cream, TYA, Wishbone Ash, Groundhogs etc. could never be described as prog, although they could be described as progressive.

The bands that were progressive and the albums that they produced at the time are still known as progressive and those bands who changed to become prog and the albums they produced are prog. So for a short while Yes were progressive then they became prog. To people like C. (I think) and myself that term sticks.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 09 Oct 2021, 11:10

Thieves’ Kitchen - The Water Road

Every time I play this I have a different reaction - sometimes it feels lacking in melody, other times too long and meandering - yet other times its mellow, jazzy, symphonic, and complex music really hits the spot.

Very nice for a Saturday morning.

Any fans here?

Return to “Yakety Yak”