LL/PSL: John Coltrane & John Martyn: Grace & Giant Steps

Do talk back
Six String

Re: LL/PSL: September Birthday Bash: Tues 14th Coltrane and Fri 17th Martyn @ 9pm

Postby Six String » 14 Sep 2021, 21:23

Syeeda’s Song Flute has always been a favorite of mine. I love that opening theme.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

C
Robust

Re: LL/PSL: September Birthday Bash: Tues 14th Coltrane and Fri 17th Martyn @ 9pm

Postby C » 14 Sep 2021, 21:23

Lovely penetrating bass - meandering this way and that way!

Robust stuff!

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

C
Robust

Postby C » 14 Sep 2021, 21:24

Six String wrote:Syeeda’s Song Flute has always been a favorite of mine. I love that opening theme.

Gorgeous - isn't it?

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 14 Sep 2021, 21:24

John aka Josh wrote:
LMG wrote:The Duke Ellington album was not one I knew at all, indeed I was rather surprised to find I had a copy.

I am a bit like that these days. No baby chasing a greenback underwater or woman walking her jaguar at night while her chauffeur smirks on the cover, and I have a hard time registering the purchase.

Me too - I've had to resort to keeping a small list with my cards for a few artists (mainly classical) to remind me of what I've got. Was hesitating today over a Vaughn Williams CD - turned out I did have the work, though not by that orchestra & conductor.

Yes.

I suspect it is not going to get better.

I recall the day a while back when I bought Drastic Plastic by Bebop Deluxe on CD, played and enjoyed it, left it out by the stereo a week or so for a few more plays, then went to file it with the rest of the titles I already had.

There was already a copy there.

That was the beginning.

C
Robust

Postby C » 14 Sep 2021, 21:27

Naima.

Lovely...

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 14 Sep 2021, 21:27

Six String wrote:Tommy Flanagan can be so unassuming at times but he’ s always there with his support. He’s never played with pyrotechnics but he someone needs to hold things together!

Considering his work includes other major recordings including Saxophone Colossus and The Incredible Guitar of Wes Montgomery, he's really not cited as often as he deserves.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 14 Sep 2021, 21:29

This is such joyful music.

I only wish Coltrane had charmed an audience with a few selections from this album on a farewell/retirement tour in 2010.

Like Sonny Rollins did.

He was born not long after JC.
Last edited by LMG on 14 Sep 2021, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.

C
Robust

Postby C » 14 Sep 2021, 21:29

LMG wrote:

Still it's better to have that than go to the case and the CD is not there

Often something else in its place. So you then go to the case of the rogue CD and there is something else in there - rogue 2....!

And so it goes on - ad infinitum

:lol:

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 14 Sep 2021, 21:32

C wrote:
LMG wrote:

Still it's better to have that than go to the case and the CD is not there

Often something else in its place. So you then go to the case of the rogue CD and there is something else in there - rogue 2....!

And so it goes on - ad infinitum

:lol:

I had a girlfriend who mused about whether that was a good way of wreaking revenge on a lover.

I assured her it would be easily sorted.

She was dyslexic and believed me...

Six String

Postby Six String » 14 Sep 2021, 21:32

Naima is such a beautiful ballad. Coltrane could do so much. Paul Chamber’s bass is perfect and then there is Tommy raising the beauty stakes.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 14 Sep 2021, 21:32

C wrote:Naima.

Lovely...

Doob.

I vividly recall when I first heard this. I'd managed to get my mother to record Alexis Korner's show for me on Saturday afternoons, as I had a Saturday job in W. H. Smiths. Played the tape in my sun drenched bedroom, dust motes dancing in the air as I lay on my bed looking at my Hendrix poster and that of of a Hindu god.

Was blown away.

C
Robust

Postby C » 14 Sep 2021, 21:35

John aka Josh wrote:
C wrote:Naima.

Lovely...

Doob.

I vividly recall when I first heard this. I'd managed to get my mother to record Alexis Korner's show for me on Saturday afternoons, as I had a Saturday job in W. H. Smiths. Played the tape in my sun drenched bedroom, dust motes dancing in the air as I lay on my bed looking at my Hendrix poster and that of of a Hindu god.

Was blown away.

Nice John

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 14 Sep 2021, 21:36

LMG wrote:This is such joyful music.

I only wish Coltrane had charmed an audience with a few selections from this album on a farewell/retirement tour in 2010.

Like Sonny Rollins did.

He was born not long after JC.

JC died tragically young, 'tis true.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 14 Sep 2021, 21:37

Did you know Coltrane and Sonny Rollins did an East Coast/Midwest tour together circa 1957/58 in Miles's band? Sadly, no recordings survived.

I read it in an interview with Sonny. Until something emerges, the track Tenor Madness is their only recorded collaboration.

Six String

Postby Six String » 14 Sep 2021, 21:38

John aka Josh wrote:
Six String wrote:Tommy Flanagan can be so unassuming at times but he’ s always there with his support. He’s never played with pyrotechnics but he someone needs to hold things together!

Considering his work includes other major recordings including Saxophone Colossus and The Incredible Guitar of Wes Montgomery, he's really not cited as often as he deserves.

Agreed. Flanagan and Hank Jones are two pianists who can comp with the best of them but also surprise you with their own solo albums. They are subtle to the uninitiated but deep in knowledge and execution.

Edit: listen to Tommy blaze on Mr. P.C.!
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

C
Robust

Re: PSL: September Birthday Bash: Fri 17th John Martyn @ 9pm

Postby C » 14 Sep 2021, 21:41

A great album in great company

Thanks John
Thanks Chris
Thanks Les

To Reap and other absent friends

And John and many of the band

*chink*

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 14 Sep 2021, 21:41

Six String wrote:
John aka Josh wrote:

Agreed. Flanagan and Hank Jones are two pianists who can comp with the best of them but also surprise you with their own solo albums. They are subtle to the uninitiated but deep in knowledge and execution.

Doobs.

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 14 Sep 2021, 21:41

Six String wrote:

Waitress! Another round of doobs please.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 14 Sep 2021, 21:42

Fantastic music, a great listen.

Thanks Les/John/Skipper

To absent friends.

*chink*
"They love hating the music they hate nearly as much as they love loving the music they love"

- Andrew Mueller It's Too Late To Die Young Now

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 14 Sep 2021, 21:43

A corker!

Many thanks all, as always.

To Reap and other absent friends,

*chink*

Return to “Yakety Yak”