Richard Hell & the Voidoids

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Richard Hell & the Voidoids

Postby GoogaMooga » 13 Sep 2021, 19:37

Now playing the scarce CD, "Destiny Street", by Richard Hell & the Voidoids. It's the 1987 Line CD, so the sound is superb. Line is the most collectable CD reissue label of all, with the best sound. There's stuff on Line that is only available in their edition. I think this album is at least as good as "Blank Generation", if not better. There's ace guitar playing by Quine and Julian, and some heavy bass lines brought well to the fore. Ramones may have had better songs, but Richard Hell is right up there with the best of them. His songs tend to be longer, with more complex compositions than those frenetic hits by Ramones. Richard Hell & the Voidoids were the first act to play CBGB, and as such were the main inspiration for the class of '77, all the punk bands that were formed in that pivotal year.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: Richard Hell & the Voidoids

Postby naughty boy » 13 Sep 2021, 20:43

:o
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 13 Sep 2021, 22:49

GoogaMooga wrote:Richard Hell & the Voidoids were the first act to play CBGB, and as such were the main inspiration for the class of '77, all the punk bands that were formed in that pivotal year.

Not really, he played bass for Television who were playing CBGB's in 74.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 14 Sep 2021, 00:29

Mike Boom wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Richard Hell & the Voidoids were the first act to play CBGB, and as such were the main inspiration for the class of '77, all the punk bands that were formed in that pivotal year.

Not really, he played bass for Television who were playing CBGB's in 74.

I know he is ex-Television, but 1974 would have been before the change of name and ownership of what became CBGB's, if I am not mistaken.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 14 Sep 2021, 00:54

CBGB OMFUG opened on Dec. 10, 1973.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 14 Sep 2021, 03:11

Mike Boom wrote:CBGB OMFUG opened on Dec. 10, 1973.

"Country, Bluegrass, Blues and Other Music for Uplifting Gormandizers." :)

It changed its focus in 74 and became a punk/alternative club in 1975. Same owner, though.

Return to “Yakety Yak”