Genesis gig

Do talk back
Brickyard Jack

Genesis gig

Postby Brickyard Jack » 09 Sep 2021, 08:18

So a mate of mine has a spare ticket for Genesis in Newcastle in a couple of weeks. A Thursday night. In the metro arena or whatever it is called. Her husband was supposed to be going but can’t go now. She is one of my best friends (I have known her for more than 30 years) and I want to show solidarity.
However Genesis are pretty poor live, and it is Newcastle whereas I live in London ( as does my mate - god knows why they bought Newcastle tix).
So it is a train journey and night in a hotel in Newcastle, all to watch what will in all probability be a very ordinary gig - but I will spend hours and hours with my good mate.

Advice please.

C
Robust

Re: Genesis gig

Postby C » 09 Sep 2021, 08:29

Positive Passion wrote:However Genesis are pretty poor live

Are they?

Were they?

Tony Banks, Mike Rutherford, Phil Collins, Daryl Stuermer and Nic Collins on tubs

I've seen them with and without Gabriel many times and their live shows have always been immaculate.

Even post-Wind & Wuthering, although the material would not be to my taste, I would be surprised if they were 'poor' during that period

Still each to her/his own

As my old grandmother used to say: it wouldn't be for us to all be the same

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 09 Sep 2021, 08:38

C wrote:

Are they?

Were they?

Tony Banks, Mike Rutherford, Phil Collins, Daryl Stuermer and Nic Collins on tubs

I've seen them with and without Gabriel many times and their live shows have always been immaculate.

Even post-Wind & Wuthering, although the material would not be to my taste, I would be surprised if they were 'poor' during that period

I would accept that I probably did not see them at their best - at Roundhay Park on the Invisible Touch tour - 1987, I think - but they were poor.
Anyway got any advice? It will probably cost me £350 all in.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 09 Sep 2021, 09:27

Positive Passion wrote:Advice please.

Positive Passion wrote:.....but I will spend hours and hours with my good mate.

There's your answer.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 09 Sep 2021, 09:28

And if Phil's appearance on BBC Breakfast about 20 minutes ago is anything to go by, it will be the last chance you'll get to see them live.
Give a shit or be a shit.

C
Robust

Postby C » 09 Sep 2021, 12:47

Positive Passion wrote:
C wrote:

Are they?

Were they?

I would accept that I probably did not see them at their best - at Roundhay Park on the Invisible Touch tour - 1987, I think - but they were poor.
Anyway got any advice? It will probably cost me £350 all in.

I wouldn’t go. Even if it cost £35

They are a spent force and Phil can’t play tubs anymore which is always a main attraction for me

Incidentally, there was a feature on them on BBC’s radio 4 Today programme. Of course it was more the Phil Collins show with him being the main interviewee and the music clips they played were all the ‘lightweight’ post W&W stuff that is not my cup of tea.

I couldn’t sit through an hour or so of Duke/Invisible Touch type nonsense

- they are unlikely to play much proper music from album like NC, F and SEBTP.

I used to run around Epping Forest but I never did find the bastard that got me framed.

Save your money and go and see Steve Hackett doing real Genesis music instead

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 09 Sep 2021, 13:55

C wrote:
I used to run around Epping Forest but I never did find the bastard that got me framed.

What?

Is this one of those references that only prog goons get?
Bugger off.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 09 Sep 2021, 15:12

Positive Passion wrote:So it is a train journey and night in a hotel in Newcastle, all to watch what will in all probability be a very ordinary gig - but I will spend hours and hours with my good mate.

This line sums it up for me. I would imagine I wouldn't be very impressed by the current Genesis although a song or two might be interesting.
The question is how often do you get to see your friend and is the trip worth it for that? You would also be supporting them as they are now stuck going alone.

Sort of sounds like a lot of money so I could see passing.

C wrote:

:lol:
C wrote:Save your money and go and see Steve Hackett doing real Genesis music instead

actually there is the advise. Hackett is playing a much more interesting show then Genesis today.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 09 Sep 2021, 23:00

You don’t really want to go do you... I’ve seen them loads of times including the 2007 reunion which was fine but like then we know they won’t be playing the good stuff. It might even be the same set! Make an excuse and arrange to see your friends without shelling out loads on a gig you don’t want to see.
“Erratic associate member”

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 12 Sep 2021, 14:40

Positive Passion wrote:I would accept that I probably did not see them at their best - at Roundhay Park on the Invisible Touch tour - 1987, I think - but they were poor.

I do not believe this.

Genesis were *never* poor.
What they *played* may well have been - and largely was on that tour (I saw them at Wembley) but they were never less than polished and top of their game.

But yeah, you'd have to pay me to go see them now
I lost interest 35 years ago. Even that Wembley show, I only attended out of habit.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 12 Sep 2021, 14:42

Rorschach wrote:Is this one of those references that only prog goons get?

Why would you expect otherwise?

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 12 Sep 2021, 15:23

The Slider wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:I would accept that I probably did not see them at their best - at Roundhay Park on the Invisible Touch tour - 1987, I think - but they were poor.

I do not believe this.

Genesis were *never* poor.
What they *played* may well have been - and largely was on that tour (I saw them at Wembley) but they were never less than polished and top of their game.

Bleeding’ ‘ell - I have no doubt they could play their instruments and maybe quite well - there is a lot more to doing a good gig than being a musical virtuoso. I once saw Jeff Beck live, and although I expect he played technically well, it was sterile and boring, and therefore I would describe it as poor. Same thing here - uninteresting songs, weak engagement with the audience, etc etc - they were poor. The support act - Paul Young - was far more exciting and entertaining.

Now I have to go and comment on your nonsense about Wild Horses.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 12 Sep 2021, 15:24

Anyway I am not going. My friend was fine about it and I see her on Monday anyway.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 12 Sep 2021, 15:34

Go and see Hackett instead.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 12 Sep 2021, 19:24

Positive Passion wrote:The support act - Paul Young - was far more exciting and entertaining.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 14 Sep 2021, 18:25

Paul Young was kind of ok.
Genesis were uninteresting but they were not poor - if you liked the music they were playing they'd have been great.
Frankly I'm a bit surprised you of all people didn't. You strike me as the sort who'd have rather heard That's All and Illegal Alien than The Musical Box and Firth of Fifth.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 15 Sep 2021, 04:55

The Slider wrote:Paul Young was kind of ok.
Genesis were uninteresting but they were not poor - if you liked the music they were playing they'd have been great.
Frankly I'm a bit surprised you of all people didn't. You strike me as the sort who'd have rather heard That's All and Illegal Alien than The Musical Box and Firth of Fifth.

:lol: :lol:

As I recall the best bit was In the cage.
You whined the other day about Queen doing rock'n'roll covers, but Genesis's finale of Everybody Needs Somebody To Love was cringeworthy - even if they hit all the right notes.
Last edited by Brickyard Jack on 15 Sep 2021, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 15 Sep 2021, 13:17

Oh it was an abomination

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 15 Sep 2021, 13:25

It would take the finest kind of sophistry to contend that Everybody Needs Somebody was not poor.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 15 Sep 2021, 13:42

The crowd lapped it up
I left

Return to “Yakety Yak”