What is the Rolling Stones' greatest UK album?

Do talk back

Best UK album?

Aftermath
14%
Between the Buttons
5%
Beggar's Banquet
14%
Let It Bleed
14%
Sticky Fingers
33%
Exile on Main Street
19%

Total votes: 21

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Re: What is the Rolling Stones' greatest UK album?

Postby Rorschach » 08 Sep 2021, 21:27

robertff wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
OUTPLAY wrote:Well Sticky Fingers is certainly not their best - half of it is shit!

The voice of reason!

I hate the damn album, it has so many songs I detest. Wild fucking Horses for a start.

Why not just put us all out of our misery and just say that you don't like the Rolling Stones - end of.

Well, mostly because I rather like the Stones, especially this period. Beggars Banquet is one of my favourite albums ever. I like every track.
I think Let it Bleed has magnificent moments but is uneven and I have a nostalgic fondness for Between the Buttons.
However, I think Sticky Fingers is a total stinker with very few tracks I like.

Is this strange for you? You don't ever dislike an album by a band or artist that you normally like?
Bugger off.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 08 Sep 2021, 23:46

Moonlight Mile is the best thing on Sticky Fingers but it also has Sway and Bitch and I like Sister Morphine and I love Wild Horses.

I still prefer Beggars Banquet tho, I love how the acoustic guitar is upfront and to the fore.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 09 Sep 2021, 05:09

Exile is their best LP by any sensible measure, of course.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 09 Sep 2021, 07:36

Mike Boom wrote:Moonlight Mile is the best thing on Sticky Fingers but it also has Sway and Bitch and I like Sister Morphine and I love Wild Horses.

I still prefer Beggars Banquet tho, I love how the acoustic guitar is upfront and to the fore.

Interesting, isn't it. We both like BB but have such completely opposed opinions about SF.
Bugger off.

robertff

Postby robertff » 09 Sep 2021, 09:37

Rorschach wrote:
robertff wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
The voice of reason!

I hate the damn album, it has so many songs I detest. Wild fucking Horses for a start.

Why not just put us all out of our misery and just say that you don't like the Rolling Stones - end of.

Well, mostly because I rather like the Stones, especially this period. Beggars Banquet is one of my favourite albums ever. I like every track.
I think Let it Bleed has magnificent moments but is uneven and I have a nostalgic fondness for Between the Buttons.

Is this strange for you? You don't ever dislike an album by a band or artist that you normally like?

Doesn't appear to be the case based on everything you have written about the Stones up to this point. The thread title was 'What is the greatest Stones' UK album. Nowhere on this thread do you state your opinion about this, rather you simply pour more and more vitriol onto an album which many, critics and fans alike, might consider to be the greatest Stones' album and, in fact, the voting here demonstrates that. Why didn't you state what your opinion with regard to the thread title rather than continuously just slating SF, what was the point?

I'm not a huge fan of SF preferring other albums, as mentioned earlier on the thread, but just to keep saying, I hate this, I hate that, blah, blah, blah, I can't see the point.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 09 Sep 2021, 10:54

robertff wrote:
Rorschach wrote: I rather like the Stones, especially this period.

Doesn't appear to be the case based on everything you have written about the Stones up to this point. The thread title was 'What is the greatest Stones' UK album. Nowhere on this thread do you state your opinion about this, rather you simply pour more and more vitriol onto an album which many, critics and fans alike, might consider to be the greatest Stones' album and, in fact, the voting here demonstrates that. Why didn't you state what your opinion with regard to the thread title rather than continuously just slating SF, what was the point?

I'm not a huge fan of SF preferring other albums, as mentioned earlier on the thread, but just to keep saying, I hate this, I hate that, blah, blah, blah, I can't see the point.

Fucking hell. Are you always this uptight about people not following rules you've just made up in your head?

Or maybe i missed the memo that says that every fucking post has to be a direct reply to the thread title.

I'm giving my opinion of the album that's leading in the poll and I cannot for the life of me see why you would have an issue with that unless you're just totally precious about the music you like, and you get all upset about someone daring to not agree with you or, heaven forfend, the BCB consensus!

Well boo fucking hoo. If you don't like it just put me on ignore.

And as for, 'what was the point?': What's the point of posting an album cover of something you're listening to? What's the point of saying which Rolling Stones album you like best? What's the point of any of this?
There is no point except that we do it for fun. You get your kicks out of saying that SF is good and I get my kicks out of saying it's tedious crap. If you want to object and take that personally, that's your problem. If you disagree with me then either ignore me or make a defence for your position and leave out the ad hominem attacks.
Bugger off.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 09 Sep 2021, 10:57

robertff wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
robertff wrote:

Doesn't appear to be the case based on everything you have written about the Stones up to this point. The thread title was 'What is the greatest Stones' UK album. Nowhere on this thread do you state your opinion about this, rather you simply pour more and more vitriol onto an album which many, critics and fans alike, might consider to be the greatest Stones' album and, in fact, the voting here demonstrates that.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 09 Sep 2021, 11:06

Rorschach wrote:What's the point of any of this?
There is no point except that we do it for fun.

My delusions are crumbling.

robertff

Postby robertff » 09 Sep 2021, 12:07

Rorschach wrote:
Fucking hell. Are you always this uptight about people not following rules you've just made up in your head?

Or maybe i missed the memo that says that every fucking post has to be a direct reply to the thread title.

I'm giving my opinion of the album that's leading in the poll and I cannot for the life of me see why you would have an issue with that unless you're just totally precious about the music you like, and you get all upset about someone daring to not agree with you or, heaven forfend, the BCB consensus!

And as for, 'what was the point?': What's the point of posting an album cover of something you're listening to? What's the point of saying which Rolling Stones album you like best? What's the point of any of this?
There is no point except that we do it for fun. You get your kicks out of saying that SF is good and I get my kicks out of saying it's tedious crap. If you want to object and take that personally, that's your problem. If you disagree with me then either ignore me or make a defence for your position and leave out the ad hominem attacks.

Just cannot see the point in so vehemently stating 'I hate this', 'I hate that' etc. without having anything else to say, positive or otherwise. It's all so negative and damning especially as you state that you like other Stones' albums on a later post relating to the thread. To be honest I couldn't care less what you think about the music I like or the BCB consensus and I certainly haven't taken it personally.

Sorry, didn't recognise that there were any ad hominem attacks, none intended anyway, perhaps you are being over sensitive?

Hag-man

Postby Hag-man » 12 Sep 2021, 09:13

toomanyhatz wrote:I'm not sure I understand the UK designation; only the first two are different between the UK and elsewhere.

The UK Aftermath is far superior to the US one, imo. BB is a toss-up, but I might give it to the US version.

Weren't the UK and US versions of "Between the Buttons" different? Or am I just going senile?

("Beggar's Banquet" has to be the best, BTW....)
Avant-garde? It's French for 'bullshit' - J. Lennon, 1965.

Chunky wrote: I'm a country member. I don't need to remember; I'm constantly reminded.

C
Robust

Postby C » 12 Sep 2021, 09:27

Welcome back Hag-man - over 8 years!
mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

Hag-man

Postby Hag-man » 12 Sep 2021, 09:31

C wrote:Welcome back Hag-man - over 8 years!

You can't rush into these things, you know.

Chunky wrote: I'm a country member. I don't need to remember; I'm constantly reminded.

C
Robust

Postby C » 12 Sep 2021, 09:37

Hag-man wrote:
C wrote:Welcome back Hag-man - over 8 years!

You can't rush into these things, you know.

:lol:

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 12 Sep 2021, 13:23

GoogaMooga wrote:Sticky Fingers - "Wild Horses" is a personal favorite, and "Sister Morphine" holds up very well.

The two steaming turds on what would otherwise be their greatest album.
So it isn't

The Baron is correct here
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

Hag-man

Postby Hag-man » 12 Sep 2021, 13:36

The Slider wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Sticky Fingers - "Wild Horses" is a personal favorite, and "Sister Morphine" holds up very well.

So it isn't

The Baron is correct here

In an ever-changing world, some things never change. Even after eight years. :P

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 12 Sep 2021, 15:25

The Slider wrote:

Wild horses is ace!

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 12 Sep 2021, 15:52

The Slider wrote:

Took you long enough!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Return to “Yakety Yak”