What is the Rolling Stones' greatest UK album?

Do talk back

Best UK album?

Aftermath
14%
Between the Buttons
5%
Beggar's Banquet
14%
Let It Bleed
14%
Sticky Fingers
33%
Exile on Main Street
19%

Total votes: 21

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

What is the Rolling Stones' greatest UK album?

Postby GoogaMooga » 04 Sep 2021, 20:27

Aftermath is the first great album, the one where Jagger and Richards come into their own as songwriters.
Between the Buttons has the best cover art and the wonderful "Yesterday's Papers".
Beggar's Banquet has "Sympathy for the Devil", "Street Fighting Man", and "Salt of the Earth", all key works.
Let It Bleed - were it only for "Gimme Shelter", this would still be a contender, but there are at least two more biggies on there, while "You Can't Always Get What You Want" sounds a bit tired now.
Sticky Fingers - "Wild Horses" is a personal favorite, and "Sister Morphine" holds up very well.
Exile on Main Street - many fans have this double-album as their favorite, and I think it is at least top 3.

Six unqualified masterpieces in only six years, what a run!

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Pool Hall Richard

Re: What is the Rolling Stones' greatest UK album?

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 04 Sep 2021, 22:00

Sticky Fingers, just 10 tracks of pure quality. None of that pissing about with Keith playing bass, Bill plays on all tracks where bass is needed.

Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, Can't you hear me knocking (which is joyous,) Bitch, I Got the Blues, Sister Morphene, Dead Flowers, Moonlight Mile

I can never get with Exile, which has some great tracks but Sticky is perfect from beginning to end. Their best.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 04 Sep 2021, 22:11

Exile easily, and am I the only one who loves Satanic Majesties?
We're way past rhubarb

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 04 Sep 2021, 22:41

The Fish wrote:Exile easily, and am I the only one who loves Satanic Majesties?

No.
And, of course, Exile easily.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 04 Sep 2021, 23:01

Exile is flabby, its not lean, it has good songs but i just see a lot of sloppiness, too many weak songs.

I know its the album everyone loves but i just see Sticky as the better album, no weak spots. Not even a 10 track edit of Exile would be better than Sticky, again, i cant change peoples minds, i know Exile will win but i still dont get the universal love for Exile, never really have. Maybe one day.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 04 Sep 2021, 23:15

Pool Hall Richard wrote:Exile is flabby, its not lean, it has good songs but i just see a lot of sloppiness, too many weak songs.

I know its the album everyone loves but i just see Sticky as the better album, no weak spots. Not even a 10 track edit of Exile would be better than Sticky, again, i cant change peoples minds, i know Exile will win but i still dont get the universal love for Exile, never really have. Maybe one day.

Exile is the place where the Stones finally mastered their source material and successfully created a unique hybrid of the great American musics they had been trying to play for the prior ten years. It is true that it lacks the towering individual tracks you might pick out of the three records that came before it, but it is a different kind of triumph and contains a magic they never sustained anywhere else, so if you’re looking for “Street Fighting Man” or whatever, it isn’t going to give you that. But it is a seamless masterpiece of a different type that captures a perfect vibe and maintains it for four sides. The hints of gospel, country, blues, and Stones funk (assisted by Mick Jagger being relegated to another instrument) ebb and flow to deliver several peaks and valleys. Editing it would kill the flow and the feel, and that’s what it’s all about. I don’t hear anything flabby in it whatsoever, it all fits together perfectly.

I say this as someone who would happily whittle down the White Album or, even more urgently, Physical Graffiti. But the difference is, for me, those records do not capture the band firing on all cylinders, while Exile does. I cannot deny the majesty of something like “Sympathy for the Devil” or “Gimme Shelter.” But if I have to choose, I’m going with feel.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 05 Sep 2021, 00:12

Anything from Beggars through Exile is five-star. Saying any one of them is far superior to the others is an exercise in subjectivity.

Like discussing Beatles albums.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 05 Sep 2021, 03:21

I'm not sure I understand the UK designation; only the first two are different between the UK and elsewhere.

The UK Aftermath is far superior to the US one, imo. BB is a toss-up, but I might give it to the US version.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Six String

Postby Six String » 05 Sep 2021, 06:04

der Freiherr wrote:
Pool Hall Richard wrote:Exile is flabby, its not lean, it has good songs but i just see a lot of sloppiness, too many weak songs.

Exile is the place where the Stones finally mastered their source material and successfully created a unique hybrid of the great American musics they had been trying to play for the prior ten years. It is true that it lacks the towering individual tracks you might pick out of the three records that came before it, but it is a different kind of triumph and contains a magic they never sustained anywhere else, so if you’re looking for “Street Fighting Man” or whatever, it isn’t going to give you that. But it is a seamless masterpiece of a different type that captures a perfect vibe and maintains it for four sides. The hints of gospel, country, blues, and Stones funk (assisted by Mick Jagger being relegated to another instrument) ebb and flow to deliver several peaks and valleys. Editing it would kill the flow and the feel, and that’s what it’s all about. I don’t hear anything flabby in it whatsoever, it all fits together perfectly.

I say this as someone who would happily whittle down the White Album or, even more urgently, Physical Graffiti. But the difference is, for me, those records do not capture the band firing on all cylinders, while Exile does. I cannot deny the majesty of something like “Sympathy for the Devil” or “Gimme Shelter.” But if I have to choose, I’m going with feel.

Listen to the Baron at this point. He’s right and y’all know it.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 05 Sep 2021, 06:45

Whilst it is true that Exile is monumental and probably the greatest , these days I actually prefer "Beggars Banquet", tho these things change with the phases of the moon.

robertff

Postby robertff » 05 Sep 2021, 07:48

The Fish wrote: ...... and am I the only one who loves Satanic Majesties?

Certainly not bought it on the day it came out and whilst it was a little unexpected and took a while, I have grown to love it like the others

robertff

Postby robertff » 05 Sep 2021, 08:03

Find this really tricky because I have a great fondness for their earlier ones particularly Out Of Our Heads (UK version), which starts off with what are possibly the three best opening tracks on any LP. Also it was the very first LP I ever bought.

Of the albums listed, whilst I have them all in many formats mono LPs, stereo LPs, multiple box sets, CDs, remastered CDs etc. and love them all I would have to pick Aftermath as my favourite and their greatest album, however Out Of Our Heads is right up there even if they didn't write a great deal of the music.

Aftermath was the end period of their first great swagger and was Brian Jones' greatest work with the band. They lost their way a little after that but found it again in very rude health a couple of albums later, for their second great swagger. And Aftermath has one of their best cover shots, second only to the Out Of Our Heads one I would suggest.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Sep 2021, 08:38

toomanyhatz wrote:I'm not sure I understand the UK designation; only the first two are different between the UK and elsewhere.

The UK Aftermath is far superior to the US one, imo. BB is a toss-up, but I might give it to the US version.

It was a simplified heading, I think we all know that they were the same content after the first two on the list. Should be read as "UK album releases".
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 05 Sep 2021, 15:47

For me, Let it bleed is the best, with Beggar's Banquet close. But these are all great records.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 05 Sep 2021, 21:27

Six String wrote:
der Freiherr wrote:

Nope on this one i'm right but i respect your views. If Exile makes you happy it can't be that bad.

Six String

Postby Six String » 07 Sep 2021, 22:05

Pool Hall Richard wrote:
Six String wrote:
der Freiherr wrote:

Nope on this one i'm right but i respect your views. If Exile makes you happy it can't be that bad.

You might not be wrong. ;) All titles between BB through Exile are my sweet spot for the Stones though I love the early stuff too. Too many good choices and I wouldn’t want to be without any of them.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 07 Sep 2021, 23:22

Pool Hall Richard wrote:If Exile makes you happy it can't be that bad.

I see what you did there !

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 07 Sep 2021, 23:23

Mike Boom wrote:
Pool Hall Richard wrote:If Exile makes you happy it can't be that bad.

I see what you did there !

I did too, for the record.

The more Keith sings,* the better they sound!

* with and without Mick

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Sep 2021, 23:39

Six String wrote:
der Freiherr wrote:

Well it's an opinion, but not one I would agree with.
The Stones were a much more imaginative proposition in the 60s. Exile sees them narrow their focus and lose their songwriting mojo. So much unmemorable rootsy stodge to wade through on Exile.
I'd go for Between The Buttons as their best.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 07 Sep 2021, 23:42

Some things never change!

Return to “Yakety Yak”