Euro 2020

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: Euro 2020

Postby Lord Rother » 18 Jun 2021, 23:00

Well done Scotland, celebrations for a 0-0 draw were a bit OTT but they had far more about them than England.

Such a shame that England’s “great” young players rarely improve after they initially burst onto the scene. Sterling and Rashford just worse with every year that passes.

Buck stops with Southgate who is sending out the wrong players. And then compounding that making the wrong substitutions. When he took the job he made exciting / brave selections - now he just picks players who have done good things for him in the past. Foden hadn’t been great but he was far far better than the utterly hopeless Sterling.

So, I’ll console myself with the fact that at least we haven’t peaked too early and that maybe, just maybe, Southgate will get his balls back and select Bellingham, Sancho and Grealish next week which is what he would have done 3 or 4 years ago. But he’ll probably start with the same 11 except bring Henderson in for Phillips.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 20 Jun 2021, 08:06

Lord Rother wrote: But he’ll probably start with the same 11 except bring Henderson in for Phillips.

Don't be surprised if he brings Maguire back into a centre back trio, and picks Henderson AND Rice together. Giving us two full backs (it must be Chilwell's time at LB and Trippier at RB) + three forwards as our creative force. We only need a draw to qualify in second place - and I think he'll be more than happy with just that.

We were fucking desperate against Scotland. The midfield & forwards were all completely anonymous. The two full backs did virtually zero going forward. I guess Stones deserves some merit for the header (even if he should have scored) and Mings has been - essentially- our best player so far. Yes really.

Pickford was fucking excellent again - funny how everyone has got off his case in the past 6 months.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 21 Jun 2021, 11:36

I've enjoyed this tournament far more than I expected, having not really realised it was actually happening until a few weeks before it started. I don't think the quality of the games has been necessarily very high, but generally games have been played in good spirit, and it's just great to see tournaments like this again. And the dispersed locations makes for quite a lot fun, although I'm completely confused over how they've selected the stadiums, makes very little sense to me. But the fact that I'm still working from home also means I can watch quite a few random games on the sly which is great - certainly don't miss going to the pub to watch some of them. My son is also old enough now to really start getting into Panini sticker books which has been great fun (although what the f... has happened to these sticker books over the years - they are terrible compared to my day...)
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Jun 2021, 13:51

I'd broadly agree with that Geezee - and I think the officials have had a lot to do with that. They'd clearly made a decision not to react to the diving/play acting etc and it's worked much better as a result. Of course, whether it will continue in the knockout stages we'll see - but, at present, it has appeared to be remarkably free of players drama/nastiness/cheating.
Cocaine

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 21 Jun 2021, 14:30

Geezee wrote:I've enjoyed this tournament far more than I expected, having not really realised it was actually happening until a few weeks before it started. I don't think the quality of the games has been necessarily very high, but generally games have been played in good spirit, and it's just great to see tournaments like this again.

I don't have the history or knowledge that y'all do, but I've very much enjoyed it myself and basically agree with all of this. I've enjoyed almost all the games I've watched.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 21 Jun 2021, 17:15

Diamond Dog wrote:I'd broadly agree with that Geezee - and I think the officials have had a lot to do with that. They'd clearly made a decision not to react to the diving/play acting etc and it's worked much better as a result. Of course, whether it will continue in the knockout stages we'll see - but, at present, it has appeared to be remarkably free of players drama/nastiness/cheating.

Yep - refs have been great. But one incident did frustrate me - I think it was the Italy/Wales game yesterday. One of the Italians dove badly in the penalty area and the commentators upon reviewing the replay immedaitely praised the refereeing. WHY? He didn't book the diver! Terrible dive, and a travesty not to book him.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 21 Jun 2021, 22:02

What a night!

Damsgaard's goal is SENSATIONAL.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 21 Jun 2021, 22:19

Geezee wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:I'd broadly agree with that Geezee - and I think the officials have had a lot to do with that. They'd clearly made a decision not to react to the diving/play acting etc and it's worked much better as a result. Of course, whether it will continue in the knockout stages we'll see - but, at present, it has appeared to be remarkably free of players drama/nastiness/cheating.

Yep - refs have been great. But one incident did frustrate me - I think it was the Italy/Wales game yesterday. One of the Italians dove badly in the penalty area and the commentators upon reviewing the replay immedaitely praised the refereeing. WHY? He didn't book the diver! Terrible dive, and a travesty not to book him.

I think he was laughing too hard.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Jun 2021, 23:18

Well now that was an evening of football !!
Cocaine

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 29 Jun 2021, 09:24

Christ yeah. While France only have themselves to blame and it's always nice with surprise results, I do think the tournament is poorer without them - I do like their team and I was expecting them to build on their WC success. And in earlier games I was generally impressed with how they could play within themselves and shift through gears when needed...but where that performance from Switzerland came from I do not know. Hadn't really watched them much previously in fairness, but some of their play yesterday was fantastic.

And Morata is just a one-man soap opera.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Jun 2021, 10:58

Geezee wrote:Christ yeah. While France only have themselves to blame and it's always nice with surprise results, I do think the tournament is poorer without them - I do like their team and I was expecting them to build on their WC success. And in earlier games I was generally impressed with how they could play within themselves and shift through gears when needed...but where that performance from Switzerland came from I do not know. Hadn't really watched them much previously in fairness, but some of their play yesterday was fantastic.

There were strong rumours before the tournament that Mbappe had turned into some enfant terrible, demanding he take penalties, free kicks and corners etc. His performances throughout kind of indicate those rumours weren't wide of the mark and his body language last night absolutely sucked from the very first minute. If I could have had a bet live, I'd have backed him not scoring from the spot. Hopefully he'll go away and reflect and come back an improved, more mature individual.

Yes Switzerland's performance was as off the charts good as it was totally unexpected. Granit Xhaka was sensational throughout - he cannot possibly be the same guy as the Arsenal version, can he?

In the other game Spain showed lots of character and supreme passing and movement. But they also showed a real brittleness too which i'd imagine other teams would be looking to exploit. But any team that scores five, two games in a row (when it really matters) has to be feared/respected. I kind of like Morata - he's clearly a very sensitive soul who carries the weight of the world on his shoulders seemingly. Lovely to see him score that absolute belter and celebrate very stridently in front of the object throwing Croatian fans. I liked that.
Cocaine

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 29 Jun 2021, 12:32

Diamond Dog wrote:
Geezee wrote:Christ yeah. While France only have themselves to blame and it's always nice with surprise results, I do think the tournament is poorer without them - I do like their team and I was expecting them to build on their WC success. And in earlier games I was generally impressed with how they could play within themselves and shift through gears when needed...but where that performance from Switzerland came from I do not know. Hadn't really watched them much previously in fairness, but some of their play yesterday was fantastic.

There were strong rumours before the tournament that Mbappe had turned into some enfant terrible, demanding he take penalties, free kicks and corners etc. His performances throughout kind of indicate those rumours weren't wide of the mark and his body language last night absolutely sucked from the very first minute. If I could have had a bet live, I'd have backed him not scoring from the spot. Hopefully he'll go away and reflect and come back an improved, more mature individual.

Yes Switzerland's performance was as off the charts good as it was totally unexpected. Granit Xhaka was sensational throughout - he cannot possibly be the same guy as the Arsenal version, can he?

In the other game Spain showed lots of character and supreme passing and movement. But they also showed a real brittleness too which i'd imagine other teams would be looking to exploit. But any team that scores five, two games in a row (when it really matters) has to be feared/respected. I kind of like Morata - he's clearly a very sensitive soul who carries the weight of the world on his shoulders seemingly. Lovely to see him score that absolute belter and celebrate very stridently in front of the object throwing Croatian fans. I liked that.

He's a very odd character - constant chip on his shoulder and feeling aggrieved. He was faintly ridiculous yesterday when he was close to starting a fight because someone had the gall to fall over him in a game of football. But christ he doesn't get help even from his supposed allies - Fabregas the other day was saying how 'close' they are, how they are such 'great friends', but then throwing him under the bus by repeatedly saying how fragile his mentality is etc. Even if true, surely a friend would just shut up.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Jun 2021, 13:02

With friends like that.......
Cocaine

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 29 Jun 2021, 21:32

Can’t say I enjoyed the performance much but it worked so fair play to Southgate.

There has to be something wrong with Kane, he was awful again.

There must be a story behind Calvert Lewin’s absence. Made zero sense to leave him out when your main striker is so obviously struggling. I mean we had 2 keepers on the bench, 2 CDs but no back up striker - discounting Rashford there I know but he isn’t really a striker any more is he?

If we are going to get to the final I’d like to see us do it with a bit of style and swagger - I think we have the players to do that but the team Southgate seems to prefer isn’t capable of doing that. But of course, zero goals conceded is what it’s all being built on and that is very impressive.

Walker was excellent defensively but exasperated me by going backwards so often when in the opposition’s half.

Pickford has been a revelation this tournament - looks like a top keeper now. Very pleased for him after all the negativity that has come his way in the last couple of years.

Sterling was ok - pretty decent in patches, just wish he’d drive forward more often; things happen when he pushes through the middle. The shot of him after Mueller missed that opportunity made me a tiny bit emotional. The relief...!!

Grealish assisted one and had a big hand in the other by quickly moving the ball on to Shaw. Personally I think he can do that for 90 mins, not just 20 or 30, but if the formula works I suppose Southgate will keep doing it.

Great result, pretty solid performance, but hardly inspiring - and really Germany were very poor. After their game v Portugal I thought they were going to really push on but thankfully that was the flash in the pan.

Onwards and upwards? Let’s hope so.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 29 Jun 2021, 22:30

A good summary. Yep Kane was a shadow of his usual self, but as he scored I expect he’ll keep his place, although I’d drop him for Calvert-Lewin. I’d also start with Grealish.

Every time I look up at the SWE UKR match someone is mortally wounded. What’s going on with that?
“Erratic associate member”

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 30 Jun 2021, 02:05

Neil Jung wrote:Every time I look up at the SWE UKR match someone is mortally wounded. What’s going on with that?

It was a bloodbath! It was like both teams were crawling to the finish.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 30 Jun 2021, 07:55

der Freiherr wrote:
Neil Jung wrote:Every time I look up at the SWE UKR match someone is mortally wounded. What’s going on with that?

It was a bloodbath! It was like both teams were crawling to the finish.

Such a strange game. Until the last 15 minutes it was quite a good, nicely balanced game, with some really special individual performances on both sides surrounded by excellent team spirit - but then deteriorated quickly into an absolute Game of Thrones battlefield that seemed to never end. Absolutely gutted - it felt like Sweden really had them in the 2nd half, and irrespective of what that muppet Keown thinks I don't think that was anywhere near a red card. It's a terrible injury but the player runs into his foot, not the other way around. It feels like Netherlands and Senegal all over again (famous knockout games in Sweden that they lost having had the upper hand). That said, the upside is that we at least don't have deal with playing England again which is never particularly pleasant when you live in the country.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 04 Jul 2021, 18:28

Well, fucking hell.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 06 Jul 2021, 09:51

Minnie the Minx wrote:Well, fucking hell.

Yeah! The cricket is good!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Jul 2021, 23:03

Raising Kane:

Congratulations to both teams!
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Return to “Sporting Life”