All Things Must Pass - 50th Deluxe - Dig Deep

Do talk back
Tom Waits For No One

All Things Must Pass - 50th Deluxe - Dig Deep

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 10 Jun 2021, 17:20

The blurb

George Harrison‘s 1970 album All Things Must Pass will be reissued in August for a belated 50th anniversary edition and will be available in SEVEN different physical editions including an ‘Uber Deluxe Edition’ which comes in wooden crate and contains everything…and more!

https://georgeharrison.tmstor.es/produc ... /ATMP%2050

Paul Hicks – the mixer/engineer who has worked on the Lennon reissues – has created a new mix of All Things Must Pass, overseen by George’s son Dhani, who is executive producer on this project. There is a new stereo mix, a surround mix and a Dolby Atmos mix of the album. The new stereo mix replaces the original album mix on every format.

The 'bloody big box'

£800+ :shock:

The 'teaser' vid

Try Some Buy Some or It's All Too Much?
Give a shit or be a shit.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Re: All Things Must Pass - 50th Deluxe - Dig Deep

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 10 Jun 2021, 17:45

It's all too much.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 10 Jun 2021, 17:49

Walk In My Shadow wrote:It's all too much.

Impossible.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 10 Jun 2021, 17:55

Tom Waits For No One wrote:‘Uber Deluxe Edition’ which comes in wooden crate and contains everything…and more!

Im going to hang out for the Super Uber Platinum Incomparable Edition that contains a hologram of George playing the album and comes in a gold box complete with lifesize gnomes.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 10 Jun 2021, 18:02

The blurb wrote:The new stereo mix replaces the original album mix on every format.

That’s some bullshit, though.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

C
Robust

Postby C » 10 Jun 2021, 18:44

Walk In My Shadow wrote:It's all too much.

Isn't it a Pity?

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 10 Jun 2021, 18:46

What's the significance of the wooden crate? As in, the music is really rustic and humble? His palatial garden says otherwise.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 10 Jun 2021, 19:03

Tactful Cactus wrote:What's the significance of the wooden crate? As in, the music is really rustic and humble? His palatial garden says otherwise.

Its Norwegian.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 Jun 2021, 19:15

I probably shouldn't say anything.

robertff

Postby robertff » 10 Jun 2021, 19:19

Was never a fan of this album, bought it when it first came out and considering the rapture it was greeted with I was really disappointed. To be honest I think much the same of most of his other albums.

Probably the only one who thinks this but so be it.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 10 Jun 2021, 19:33

robertff wrote:Was never a fan of this album, bought it when it first came out and considering the rapture it was greeted with I was really disappointed. To be honest I think much the same of most of his other albums.

Probably the only one who thinks this but so be it.

Nope.
Me too.
Bought it at the time, didn’t rate it, never cared much for anything else he did after.

I quite like Waah Waah (or however it’s spelt).
Bugger off.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 10 Jun 2021, 20:07

I'll wait for the hundredth anniversary box.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 10 Jun 2021, 23:00

My alltime fave album, really, it is. But the tracks ive heard sound a bit too clean. Like the atmosphere has gone, Clapton turned up loud, the drums down and backing too (the Run of the Mill outtake above.) Perhaps thats just because its an outtake but even the 2020 mix of All Things Must Pass, the track itself just sounds a little too clean. The original sounded like its recorded in a big room, the tracks on youtube dont have that space.

Of course if i see this cheap (unlikely) then maybe ill grab but i expect ill head to the usual favourite site for the MP3s on week of release.

Really only the outtakes id want, the demos we've heard for years and the remix sounds Meh!! Outtakes discs will do me as a download.

Six String

Postby Six String » 10 Jun 2021, 23:18

Tactful Cactus wrote:What's the significance of the wooden crate? As in, the music is really rustic and humble? His palatial garden says otherwise.

It’s the brown sound aesthetic.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 10 Jun 2021, 23:19

Positive Passion wrote:I'll wait for the hundredth anniversary box.

Good idea. :)
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 11 Jun 2021, 10:44

what a load of shit. Some people will buy anything. And as for having this new mix shoved down your throat , like it or not, well that is some bullshit. You would have to be some sort of dimwit to buy this.
You don't like me...do you?

robertff

Postby robertff » 11 Jun 2021, 11:27

yomptepi wrote:what a load of shit. Some people will buy anything. And as for having this new mix shoved down your throat , like it or not, well that is some bullshit. You would have to be some sort of dimwit to buy this.

Never really understand this kind of statement. Of course if it's not for you then you won't buy it. I won't buy it because I don't like the record particularly and I'm not the least bit interested in the paraphernalia and I certainly don't understand why anyone would want to buy it. Nevertheless, this is going to appeal to someone but to call them a dimwit, simply because they might be interested in buying something that you aren't is witless.

We're all allowed to have different tastes here, aren't we?

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 11 Jun 2021, 12:23

robertff wrote:
yomptepi wrote:what a load of shit. Some people will buy anything. And as for having this new mix shoved down your throat , like it or not, well that is some bullshit. You would have to be some sort of dimwit to buy this.

Never really understand this kind of statement. Of course if it's not for you then you won't buy it. I won't buy it because I don't like the record particularly and I'm not the least bit interested in the paraphernalia and I certainly don't understand why anyone would want to buy it. Nevertheless, this is going to appeal to someone but to call them a dimwit, simply because they might be interested in buying something that you aren't is witless.

This isn't about taste. Most people will buy this without hearing it. It is about aquisition. It is about fear of missing out. It is about exploitation. This set is basically a toybox for a Beatles fan. 90% will only get played once. There may be an appetite for hearing a new mix, but seeing as the artist is dead, there is no way of knowing if he would have wanted that, or if he would have liked the new mix. It also assumes that the original mix is not as good as the artist wanted. Using that , plus a soppy box and some dopey resin gnomes, and then having the gaul to charge $1000 for it is some cheek. This whole super deluxe craze has finally gone too far. I thought the 32 disc Caravan set was nuts, but this is another level altogether. And what makes it even worse is that it will sell out, and a lot of those poor saps will be the least able to afford it. As I said. Dimwits.
You don't like me...do you?

robertff

Postby robertff » 11 Jun 2021, 12:28

yomptepi wrote:
robertff wrote:

This isn't about taste. Most people will buy this without hearing it. It is about aquisition. It is about fear of missing out. It is about exploitation. This set is basically a toybox for a Beatles fan. 90% will only get played once. There may be an appetite for hearing a new mix, but seeing as the artist is dead, there is no way of knowing if he would have wanted that, or if he would have liked the new mix. It also assumes that the original mix is not as good as the artist wanted. Using that , plus a soppy box and some dopey resin gnomes, and then having the gaul to charge $1000 for it is some cheek. This whole super deluxe craze has finally gone too far. I thought the 32 disc Caravan set was nuts, but this is another level altogether. And what makes it even worse is that it will sell out, and a lot of those poor saps will be the least able to afford it. As I said. Dimwits.

People will buy what they want to buy, it doesn’t make them dimwits, only that you think that what they buy isn’t of value. We make our own choices and live by the consequences.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 11 Jun 2021, 13:13

This record means more to me than most records, it has been a part of my life since I was able to put a record on a turntable and play it. I've written about that elsewhere so . . . I got a very clean copy in the mid 90s (that joins the more well-loved copy I copped from my mother) and just got the poster framed (at great expense, I'm afraid, it's a big poster). For me, a major part of the record is the production. I know George Harrison had some regret over that, and others slag it off, but I adore it. I have only a passing curiosity in a new or different mix, and I'm annoyed if they're cramming that down our throats, but that's probably what George Harrison would have done, left to his own devices. Last time they reissued this, you'll recall he came out with that ghastly re-envisioning of the cover art (which shows how little he was to be trusted with the legacy of his crowning achievement). All the same, I'll cheerfully pay for whatever they're going to sell, but I suppose that's not really true as I'm not spending $1,000 for the whole hog thing. I might pay that for an actual garden gnome from Friar Park, but they aren't selling that.
Last edited by BARON CORNY DOG on 11 Jun 2021, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Yakety Yak”