Taken too soon

Do talk back
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Re: Taken too soon

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 16 May 2021, 12:33

Jaco Pastorious, legendary jazz bassist.

Got beaten into a coma by a club bouncer and never recovered. 35 years of age.

Many feel his best years were behind him by then but really too young to die.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 16 May 2021, 19:10

Pastorius did indeed die after being beaten up by a bouncer but he was looking for it. He literally challenged people to beat him up. He got off on it, or something. And besides, it's quite likely he would have died from substance abuse anyway. He was washed up and had lost all his genius. "Word of Mouth" was terrible. Altogether a sad story and a great loss. For me in the top 5 of best bass players ever. I still play his solo Album "Jaco Pastorius" quite often, thanks to Teabag who got me a CD copy after my mother sold all my vinyl, which is a different story altogether.

Another one: Tommy Bolin died at 25 as a result of his heroin addiction. I actually quite liked Come Taste The Band when it was released and like it even better 45 years down the bumpy road. He could have taken the purple gang into a different and exciting direction but the 'fans' didn't like him much because he didn't sound like Blackmore', and his problems with drugs had a negative effect on his performances. So the band broke up (woo-oo, and they never played again) for a change. 6 months later, after opening with his own band for Peter Frampton he died of an overdose. Gone too soon, indeed.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 16 May 2021, 23:53

Tactful Cactus wrote:For Jimi Hendrix, I think his best years were behind him. He would no doubt have continued to develop as a musician and artist but he was moving into expansive musicianship and away from the mercurial brilliance of JHE's first two.

Yes, he had moved away from the first two - though I'd argue Axis is a different beast than Are You Experienced,greater range of textures, not as visceral but could still have had a lot to offer. Would like to know what he would have made of fusion, collaborations with soul/funk and jazz artists.

Paul Kossoff is another who went too soon, whether his best days were behind him is a possibility, but cleaned up and in a band with a good writer could well have pulled out some more gems.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 17 May 2021, 11:12

John aka Josh wrote: Would like to know what he would have made of fusion, collaborations with soul/funk and jazz artists.

Maybe we should start a sub-thread called "Died at the right time"
:D

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 17 May 2021, 11:23

John aka Josh wrote:

Paul Kossoff is another who went too soon, whether his best days were behind him is a possibility, but cleaned up and in a band with a good writer could well have pulled out some more gems.

If, and that's a big if, he had cleaned up chances were Free would have gone on. Koss didn't write songs and that frustrated him but Rodgers and Kirke knew what a fantastic guitarist they had on board. With Rabbit in the band they had another songwriter.
I'll never know what possessed the two to form BadCo with an average guitarist like Ralphs. Except Rodgers was hell bent on fame and fortune.
Swansong and Peter Grant provided this so he could play American stadium rock and make big bucks.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 20 May 2021, 22:43

Marc Bolan.

He was already going out of favour when he crashed. I don't think he was going to make a comeback anyhow.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 25 May 2021, 13:58

He was 4 years out of favour when he died. 5 past his peak.
Though his final record was his best since 72, so maybe he would have had another go in the spotlight, but I doubt it
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

robertff

Postby robertff » 25 May 2021, 16:10

Walk In My Shadow wrote:
John aka Josh wrote:

If, and that's a big if, he had cleaned up chances were Free would have gone on. Koss didn't write songs and that frustrated him but Rodgers and Kirke knew what a fantastic guitarist they had on board. With Rabbit in the band they had another songwriter.
I'll never know what possessed the two to form BadCo with an average guitarist like Ralphs. Except Rodgers was hell bent on fame and fortune.
Swansong and Peter Grant provided this so he could play American stadium rock and make big bucks.

Never quite sure about what is wrong with anybody wanting to make the best out of their talent that they can. Is success a bad thing or is it just that you didn’t like Bad Company? They had given Kossoff so many chances, had encouraged him to be involved with the band, reformed it when clearly he wasn’t up to it - sadly the writing was written in dayglo on the wall.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 25 May 2021, 19:37

robertff wrote:
Walk In My Shadow wrote:
John aka Josh wrote:

Never quite sure about what is wrong with anybody wanting to make the best out of their talent that they can. Is success a bad thing or is it just that you didn’t like Bad Company? They had given Kossoff so many chances, had encouraged him to be involved with the band, reformed it when clearly he wasn’t up to it - sadly the writing was written in dayglo on the wall.

Nothing against Bad Company (got their albums, saw them live on their first European tour) and, no, they were never meant to be Free mk2.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 25 May 2021, 20:04

/
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 25 May 2021, 21:18

The Slider wrote:He was 4 years out of favour when he died. 5 past his peak.
Though his final record was his best since 72, so maybe he would have had another go in the spotlight, but I doubt it

A career reviving glasto set or somesuch event could have happened.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 26 May 2021, 04:17

I get the Jimi and what fusion he would have ended up doing and then what direction after that. Could he have made it much longer anyway he was in bad shape.

Marley I would have loved his take on the 80's I believe he could have taken reggae another direction instead of mostly a rehash.

I elect Jeff Buckley - I assume most here don't like him. But he had one album and his live show showed so many more sides including over 200 covers.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 26 May 2021, 07:19

Hightea wrote:
I elect Jeff Buckley - I assume most here don't like him. But he had one album and his live show showed so many more sides including over 200 covers.

I think that's a good call. He seemed to be on the way up when he died.
Bugger off.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 27 May 2021, 07:49

It is
One of the only ones I buy

Fireplug

Postby Fireplug » 27 May 2021, 11:20

I think Otis Redding would have made some great albums. He was just hitting his stride. We were, however, spared the smooth soul dross he'd have inevitably churned out in the 80s.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 27 May 2021, 11:49

Fireplug wrote:I think Otis Redding would have made some great albums. He was just hitting his stride. We were, however, spared the smooth soul dross he'd have inevitably churned out in the 80s.

God yes!
I hate that stuff he probably would have done in the 80s.
What a tosser he would possibly have become.

Actually, it's an interesting mention. You'd know more about it than me but I'd never thought of him as being on an upward trajectory at the time. I'll have to look into it then.
Bugger off.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 27 May 2021, 13:34

Rorschach wrote:Actually, it's an interesting mention. You'd know more about it than me but I'd never thought of him as being on an upward trajectory at the time. I'll have to look into it then.

Dock of the Bay was one of the last things he did, so compare that with Respect or Security or Mr. Pitiful or whatever. Also, Otis Redding exercised more personal artistic control over his records than a lot of southern soul singers, and he appeared to be pretty open minded. I think “Dock of the Bay” suggests he was just about to really start opening up.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 27 May 2021, 17:38

Otis Redding, yeah good call.
I too believe he would've gone on to greater things.

While the first two posthumous albums were a mixed bag of outtakes and older tracks, they both are very listenable. Love Man (the single) even was a chart hit.

You don't have to wait untill the 80's to hear some dross. Wilson Pickett's four RCA albums from the mid-seventies will prove my point. Except for Pickett in the Pocket but that one was recorded in Muscle Shoals with the Swampers.

Fireplug

Postby Fireplug » 29 May 2021, 23:54

I don't particularly like Dock of the Bay and, frankly, prefer Respect, Mr. Pitiful etc. but it was a clear sign of a songwriting talent reaching in new directions, open to new ideas, stretching his creative muscles. He was just 26; the next decade could have been really something special for him. But then again, maybe not. Pickett is a good cautionary tale. I still think there was more left in Redding's creative well though.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 31 May 2021, 12:01

I'd certainly give Otis the nod in front of the usual silly suggestions

Return to “Yakety Yak”