GG Free Hand Wilson remix 25.6.2021

Do talk back
ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

GG Free Hand Wilson remix 25.6.2021

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 01 May 2021, 08:16

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail ... 58?lang=en

""Free Hand" is Gentle Giant's seventh album overall and was originally released in 1975. It was the band's most commercially successful album with a Top 40 BILLBOARD ranking and also represents the culmination of a process of artistic maturation for the band, from the 1969 debut of the same name to classics like "In A Glass House" or its immediate predecessor "The Power & The Glory".

The album title and title track is a reference to the liberating end of the contract with the longtime label Vertigo and the new beginning with Chrysalis. The album's seven songs practically sparkle with enthusiasm and balance between delightfully playful, spun GG signature sounds and first-rate songwriting from the band around Derek and Ray Shulman. From the intricate vocal style of "On Reflection" to the delicate medieval flair of "Talybont" and the Celtic-tinged rocker "Time To Kill" to the varied rhythm play of "Just The Same". The lyrics are partly literary shifted but also comment on the band's life as rock musicians.

As with "The Power And The Glory", "Octopus" and "Three Piece Suite" (a compilation of songs from the first three albums), mastermind and Gentle Giant fan STEVEN WILSON set about remixing the album.

The "Free Hand" remaster will be released in three configurations: as CD+Blu-ray incl. Dolby Atmos 5.1 surround sound accompanied by animated small art films for each track. Plus the original flat mix, original quad mix and an instrumental mix.
Furthermore a CD digipack with the Steven Wilson remix and a double LP (180g in gatefold sleeve) with the Steven Wilson remix and the original flat mix! "
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

Charlie O.

Re: GG Free Hand Wilson remix 25.6.2021

Postby Charlie O. » 01 May 2021, 09:49

I'm in. This was always my favorite of theirs.

C
Robust

Postby C » 01 May 2021, 11:41

ooooooooooooooooooooof!

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 01 May 2021, 15:53

ConnyOlivetti wrote:https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/gentle-giant-free-hand/hnum/10490958?lang=en

As with "The Power And The Glory", "Octopus" and "Three Piece Suite" (a compilation of songs from the first three albums), mastermind and Gentle Giant fan STEVEN WILSON set about remixing the album. "

Wilson also did a 5.1 mix for GG's first album, which is in the Unburied Treasure box.

ConnyOlivetti

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 02 May 2021, 07:15

Matt Wilson wrote:
ConnyOlivetti wrote:https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/gentle-giant-free-hand/hnum/10490958?lang=en

As with "The Power And The Glory", "Octopus" and "Three Piece Suite" (a compilation of songs from the first three albums), mastermind and Gentle Giant fan STEVEN WILSON set about remixing the album. "

Wilson also did a 5.1 mix for GG's first album, which is in the Unburied Treasure box.

Indeed, I just quoted jpc's article, is a bit carelessly written, as they refer to remasters....

Je suis!

C
Robust

Postby C » 04 May 2021, 18:14

The accompanying video by Noah Shulman

Very Python-esque

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 04 May 2021, 18:25

Didn't have my headphones on, but that sounded very good through my crappy laptop speakers!

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 11 May 2021, 21:05

Charlie O. wrote:Didn't have my headphones on, but that sounded very good through my crappy laptop speakers!

Indeed, wonderful.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 12 May 2021, 10:26

C wrote:The accompanying video by Noah Shulman

Very Python-esque

Joyous music. Of course it far too complex and intricate for many here. But those of us who know; Know.
You don't like me...do you?

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 12 May 2021, 10:27

yomptepi wrote:

Very Python-esque

Joyous music. Of course it far too complex and intricate for many here. But those of us who know; Know.

Its also far too dull for many here.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 12 May 2021, 10:28

Seeing the name Shulman attached to that video...does this mean the Shulmans are back on speaking terms with the others. I know they have moved away from music, but it would be nice to think they were involved again.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 12 May 2021, 10:28

Jumper K wrote:
yomptepi wrote:

Very Python-esque

Just turn it up Frank!!!

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 12 May 2021, 10:29

yomptepi wrote:
Jumper K wrote:
yomptepi wrote:

Just turn it off Frank!!!

I have.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 12 May 2021, 10:44

yomptepi wrote:Seeing the name Shulman attached to that video...does this mean the Shulmans are back on speaking terms with the others. I know they have moved away from music, but it would be nice to think they were involved again.

Noah Shulman is Derek's son.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Purgatory Brite

Postby Purgatory Brite » 12 May 2021, 12:24

yomptepi wrote:Seeing the name Shulman attached to that video...does this mean the Shulmans are back on speaking terms with the others. I know they have moved away from music, but it would be nice to think they were involved again.

They seem to be on cordial terms at present. There was a rift over the tribute/heritage act Three Friends which appears to have been patched up. Kerry Minnear who leads the GG merchandise operation, left Three Friends so as not to upset the Schulmans. There was a recent video to mark the reissue of the GG albums as a boxset which involved Gary Green and (I think) Martin Smith. Even Phil Schulman turned up in an interview for Prog magazine with the 3 brothers. I believe that most of the surviving band members appeared in the Proclamation "fan video" last year.

Although the relationships have been restored, there still remains absolutely no chance of the band getting back together.

ConnyOlivetti

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 12 May 2021, 12:55

Purgatory Brite wrote:
Although the relationships have been restored, there still remains absolutely no chance of the band getting back together.

And for that, we should be happy!
(its to late to make something good about it, and we have all the great music they did)

Je suis!

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 12 May 2021, 13:03

ConnyOlivetti wrote:
Purgatory Brite wrote:

And for that, we should be happy!
(its to late to make something good about it, and we have all the great music they did)

You are quite right, although I have to say the Three Friends gig Carlsson and I saw in Shoreham was an absolute blinder. One of the best shows I have seen.I will always have that.

C
Robust

Postby C » 12 May 2021, 15:35

yomptepi wrote:
ConnyOlivetti wrote:And for that, we should be happy!

You are quite right, although I have to say the Three Friends gig Carlsson and I saw in Shoreham was an absolute blinder. One of the best shows I have seen.I will always have that.

Indeed and having a long chat with Marty Willson-Piper - a fantastic evening!

The Three Friends GG folk have been up for a reunion in the past. That is, Malcom Mortimore, who, plays on GG's Three Friendss album only and Gary Green. Pugwash has Spinocerebellar ataxia and in ill health as one could see from the fans Proclamation video.

Both Malcolm and Gary were at the box-set video with the Shulmans [Martin Smith has been dead since 1997].

The Shulmans aren't interested and since Gary Green had a stroke/heart attack it's even less likely.

I wouldn't want them to reform actually - it would be a disappointment I think.

Like Yomp I will remember, with great fondness, the two times I saw 3F and the twice GG with the latter blowing Deep Purple off the stage in 1976.

A great great band.

It was a privilege to have Acquired the Taste....

Return to “Yakety Yak”