Love Is in the Air

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Love Is in the Air

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Apr 2021, 05:51

TODAY'S FIND: A 1997 Laserlight comp of John Paul Young, "Greatest Hits". We all know the monster hit from 1978, "Love Is in the Air", but I am happy to report that it's all good stuff. I dunno if he was a one hit wonder, but I certainly never heard anything else other than the big hit. Yet here we are, a CD of all good stuff. He should have been huge, but 1978 was like the tail end of disco, so his sound was on the way out. Anyway, a quid for this baby, Amazon wants £77 for a new copy...

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

never/ever

Re: Love Is in the Air

Postby never/ever » 07 Apr 2021, 06:37

I prefer the predecessor and equally big hit Standing In The Rain.
Interestingly enough, JPY reappeared this week doing a special performance of Love Is In The Air for a dance group doing a reinterpretation of Strictly Ballroom.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 07 Apr 2021, 06:50

GoogaMooga wrote:He should have been huge, but 1978 was like the tail end of disco, so his sound was on the way out.

Here in the US, at least, 1978 was right smack dab in the middle of Discomania, with the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack spending literally half the year at #1.

The song was written and produced by Harry Vanda and George Young (no relation, I think) - right around the time they produced Powerage for George's kid brothers' band. If I remember right they were trying to come up with "something for the German market" because John Paul's previous single had done well there.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 07 Apr 2021, 07:20

For some reason I thought Love is in the Air was a Neil Diamond song. Maybe that was Love on the Rocks.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Apr 2021, 07:22

The disco era began in the early 70s and the first big hit was "Rock Your Baby" in 1974. By 1980 it had petered out, except for Chic. So, not a long lasting era by any measure, 1978 was the beginning of the end. When was the backlash with that stadium event, where a huge pile of records was blown to bits?
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Apr 2021, 07:23

trans-chigley express wrote:For some reason I thought Love is in the Air was a Neil Diamond song. Maybe that was Love on the Rocks.

Yes, "Love on the Rocks" was Neil Diamond's, another good one.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 07 Apr 2021, 19:45

Not a long lasting era by any measure??
Punk lasted about 3 minutes!
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

50 Shades Of Blue

Postby 50 Shades Of Blue » 09 Apr 2021, 23:00

GoogaMooga wrote:The disco era began in the early 70s and the first big hit was "Rock Your Baby" in 1974. By 1980 it had petered out, except for Chic. So, not a long lasting era by any measure, 1978 was the beginning of the end. When was the backlash with that stadium event, where a huge pile of records was blown to bits?

That was just daft Americans.
They did the same with Beatles records.
Would have been a much better idea to have melted down all their guns.

What about a re release of yer mans record with amended lyrics for the age, a wee snippet of the 1st line
"Covids in the air every day and every night"
Some mother's talking 'bout Guns' n 'Roses
As if i give a fuck
At best i think they suck

Return to “Yakety Yak”