MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 22 Mar 2021, 15:26

Neige wrote:I've been (seriously) entering my record collection into the Discogs database for quite a while now (ca. 4000+ vinyl items recently completed, about 25% of the CDs left to go).

I'm aware that most CDs are virtually worthless, but still:

Today, my "maximum value" crossed the threshold of 200,000 Swiss francs.

I only have a thousand records or so, but it's a hugely frustrating process trying to find which version of "Let It Be" or whatever that you have. I've never made it too into the c's.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 22 Mar 2021, 15:46

Belle Lettre wrote:The bursitis story is gold :lol:

Yeah! I mean, you know my Dad - he is generally undemonstrative- but when he is leaking serosanguineous fluid, suddenly he’s all smiles!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 22 Mar 2021, 19:50

Dr. Baron wrote:
Neige wrote:I've been (seriously) entering my record collection into the Discogs database for quite a while now (ca. 4000+ vinyl items recently completed, about 25% of the CDs left to go).

I'm aware that most CDs are virtually worthless, but still:

Today, my "maximum value" crossed the threshold of 200,000 Swiss francs.

I only have a thousand records or so, but it's a hugely frustrating process trying to find which version of "Let It Be" or whatever that you have. I've never made it too into the c's.

Without Corona I wouldn't have the time and leisure to do this...
It's true that US versions of popular albums were often trying my patience, what with the different pressing plants only visible in the "small print" of the runout grooves and stuff like that. :roll:
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Mar 2021, 20:47

I took the afternoon off to get day drunk at my friend’s restaurant beer garden. I’m delighted to say that it looks like she is going to stay afloat despite covid and it’s busy (enough.) it’s a gorgeous sunny day and I’ve got an ice cold bottle of wine, a nice book and I’m thoroughly enjoying getting slowly buzzed. Hurray for wine and all who sail in her!

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Six String

Postby Six String » 25 Mar 2021, 21:29

I’m going to DJ this evening (5-8) at my friend’s cider tasting room. It will feel a little weird as patrons will be outside where I won’t be able to see them but the plus side is I’ll be safe in my booth.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Mar 2021, 21:40

What cider is it?

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 25 Mar 2021, 21:44

Minnie the Minx wrote:What cider is it?

https://www.tworiverscider.com/

His ciders are dry fyi. Some are sold in cans and restaurants/bars and some are only available at the tasting room.

Listening to the Woodentops for the first time in ages.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Mar 2021, 21:51

Oh woah. That looks lovely. Can’t wait to visit.
We had some ciders sent to us for Xmas from a Portland cider place and they were sensational.

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 26 Mar 2021, 03:31

As you know you are always welcome. Just bring an extra liver. :)
DJ session went really well even with a small crowd. People loved the music (Soul Jazz, Meters, Daptone, Joe Ely, Speedy West,O.V. Wright et.al.)
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 26 Mar 2021, 04:12

Dp
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Mar 2021, 02:18

Sadly, the dreadful snow and freeze that hit Texas has almost certainly registered the end of many plants in our garden and so many other gardens look absolutely awful. Huge cacti, years in the growing, are like Dali's clock yellow and slushy, melting onto the grass. We didn't have many of these at all, and certainly not large ones, but the ones we have I have had to chop the slushy leaves from and they look bizarre. Our front yard, which the previous owners clearly doted on, has lost all the Jerusalem sage, bishops caps and other beautiful summer flowering plants. I've had to cut them all down to the base and there is no green in the bark. An enormous rosemary bush that we used for cooking as well as smelling lovely- fucked. Dug it up. In the back, my favourite thing, confederate jasmine that crawls up all the trees and fence- dead. the bushy plants round the trees- dead. Unfortunately, these are all the things that wildlife and birds would flock to and nest in, which is the really sad thing. Thankfully, our bigger trees are ok. Our roses, for some reason best known to themself, look better than they have ever done.

Our neighbourhood forum had someone post that their neighbour's rotting cactus was smelling and what should she do apart from "call the police." Oh god, she got ripped a new arsehole. It was hilarious. What the fuck was she thinking?

I must say though, rotting cacti smells pretty grotesque.

Dr Markus wrote:

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 28 Mar 2021, 15:01

That's awful Minnie.

On roses: They are weird, aren't they. I love them. When I was a teen, one of my jobs at home was to mow the lawn. My mom had rose bushes all around the backyard. I used to stupidly be very rough with them with the lawnmower, being more interested in going to play mini-golf with my buddies than to care about what was right. The bastard plants (not the way I feel today at all obviously) didn't seem to care and provided my mom with lovely blooms continuously.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Six String

Postby Six String » 28 Mar 2021, 15:21

Sorry to hear that Anna. I guess it isn’t surprising considering what you guys went through but still very disappointing, especially the mature plants and bushes. Roses are tough in my experience. It takes a lot to take them out. March has been cooler than normal, what ever normal is these days. Still we should be beyond any threat of frost and certainly no freeze. Last year I wanted to refresh some plants in the yard but didn’t due to covid so maybe this year it can happen.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 28 Mar 2021, 18:31

It must be spring. I just noticed I didn’t turn the heat on this morning when I got up. It is 65F inside and I’m ok with it. I’m wearing a flannel shirt but still, it feels warmer than it should.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 28 Mar 2021, 21:43

California weather huh!? I have a sister who lives about 40 miles (guessing, never been!) south-east of Fresno loves it. One of the big reasons she left Canada in the first place, so many years ago. Rumor has it (I wasn't born yet) that on her very first list to Santa, she included wanting 22 lbs of wool. :lol:

As for here, well, it's a weird time of year, weather wise. Still cold most nights but days can either be sunny and near 20C or cloudy rainy cold, near 4C during the day. We may get a few snowflakes later in the week after having a couple of sunny days of 15C or so. Just weird, but usual for here.

I re-potted about 8 indoor plants this afternoon, just to tell Mother Nature where I stand on all of this.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 28 Mar 2021, 22:10

i'm sorry too, minnie. i don't know what a rotting cactus smells like, but... lord.

we've lost our fair share over here. the 25 degree freeze killed a goodly portion. i mean, on the positive, we have some sturdy plants over here that seem to hold. all the azalea bushes, gardenias, camelias, cherry laurels, even the grapefuit tree, handled it fine. but half of the lovely hibiscus trees/bushes died (we had some that were a good 8 feet tall), all the ferns (some babies are shootin up), any number of vines and ivies and other plants died.

the other problem: all the canes and bad storms. when that cane hit direct some months back, the oldest, biggest cherry laurel (my dad had planted all them when he bought this house in '64) split right down in half and half was gone. the papaya tree was uprooted entirely. we were handin out free papayas to all comers over a 48 hour period, mwhaha.

well, you get the picture.

ah well. we'll buy more things to plant.

good luck with it all.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 29 Mar 2021, 07:17

It is hard to imagine the smell of rotting cacti, but it's not something I'm keen on experiencing... :|

Truly sorry to hear that, Minnie!
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 30 Mar 2021, 16:49

It is gloriously sunny, here in Mile End. I am sitting outside my front door, drinking a beer, and relishing that tomorrow is the last day of term with the students, and Thursday is the last day of term (a training day for staff). Then I will do little work for a week before spending the next week preparing for the summer term.
I love what I do, but the days are relentless and every minute of every school day we are walking a fine line between everything going swimmingly and someone being physically injured. One's anxiety levels are very high when the students are around, and it 5akes its toll.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Mar 2021, 19:40

Do you work in a borstal PP?

Dr Markus wrote:

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 30 Mar 2021, 19:48

Minnie the Minx wrote:Do you work in a borstal PP?

Strangely enough, this reminded me of neverknows and the new words thread, since I had to look it up. :)

Return to “Nextdoorland”