Return of Q

Do talk back
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Return of Q

Postby Muskrat » 27 Feb 2021, 03:51

Just saw this today.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/feb/25/new-cue-former-q-editors-join-newsletter-publishing-boom

The former editors of Q magazine, the British music monthly that folded in July 2020 owing to the pressures of publishing during the pandemic, have joined the growing newsletter revolution.

The New Cue, a weekly publication edited by erstwhile Q editor Ted Kessler and staff members Chris Catchpole and Niall Doherty, launches on 26 February with new interviews from artists including St Vincent, Arlo Parks and Tony Visconti, along with playlists and recommendations.

“What’s exciting to me is being able to deliver a music publication directly to the reader,” said Kessler in an interview.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

robertff

Re: Return of Q

Postby robertff » 27 Feb 2021, 07:54

I stopped buying Q years ago because it mutated into Q beyond and then I stopped buying Mojo because it mutated into Q. I won't be investigating but thanks for the info nevertheless.

Muskrat
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 27 Feb 2021, 22:44

robertff wrote:I stopped buying Q years ago because it mutated into Q beyond and then I stopped buying Mojo because it mutated into Q. I won't be investigating but thanks for the info nevertheless..

This very board was started by a bunch of malcontents and music lovers who were fed up with the Q board.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 28 Feb 2021, 12:29

Muskrat wrote:
robertff wrote:I stopped buying Q years ago because it mutated into Q beyond and then I stopped buying Mojo because it mutated into Q. I won't be investigating but thanks for the info nevertheless..

This very board was started by a bunch of malcontents and music lovers who were fed up with the Q board.

Mojo not Q. Mojo website was suffering from zlib compression issues.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 28 Feb 2021, 15:24

Jimbly wrote:
Muskrat wrote:

I get that on cold mornings.

I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Well, I would, but no one else. Not even Donald Trump. I think he's a fellow sufferer anyway, you can tell when he gets that pained expression and his head tilts sideways and he screws up his little piggy eyes.

The poor, poor man. Medical science has a lot to answer for. Oh, they can pump us all full of their vaccine-and-tracker-chip cocktail in record time, but you try saying 'Doctor, it's my zlib, it's squashed dreadfully these chill mornings, oh I am suffering something chronic' and they don't want to know.

Try and offer you Mindfulness sessions on Zoom just to get you out the door. It's no use bothering.
"Nothing would count as a fulfilment in a world in which literally nothing is important but self-fulfilment."

- Charles Taylor

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 28 Feb 2021, 15:32

And while you've got me onto the subject of Q magazines, an email direct to my inbox is no good to me at all. Back in the day, Q was good value because of the quality paper, we used to line the cat's litter tray with it, which had the added perk that you could see what George Michael would look like with all cat poo all over him.

But not these days, that's not what's on offer at all.
"Nothing would count as a fulfilment in a world in which literally nothing is important but self-fulfilment."

- Charles Taylor

modharper
Just a hunk a hunk of burnin' love

Postby modharper » 28 Feb 2021, 18:27

I’d like to throw my tuppence in here and say that, while Q was published by a major publishing house, a lot of its content was directed under a certain mandate, and didn’t necessarily always reflect the tastes or ideas of those who put it together. This newsletter is the brainchild of three good and respected music writers who lost their jobs when the powers that be decided to close Q. The content here is personally curated by these three, and is - imho - a good representation of the contemporary music landscape. You might not always like their choices, but please don’t write it off before checking it out and basing your opinions on the Q legacy...
THIS WAY FOR A COWBOY'S BREAKFAST

50 Shades Of Blue

Postby 50 Shades Of Blue » 28 Feb 2021, 21:08

modharper wrote:I’d like to throw my tuppence in here and say that, while Q was published by a major publishing house, a lot of its content was directed under a certain mandate, and didn’t necessarily always reflect the tastes or ideas of those who put it together. This newsletter is the brainchild of three good and respected music writers who lost their jobs when the powers that be decided to close Q. The content here is personally curated by these three, and is - imho - a good representation of the contemporary music landscape. You might not always like their choices, but please don’t write it off before checking it out and basing your opinions on the Q legacy...

That's a very good point.
Q and Mojo turned into crap due to being targetted and blanded out so without that agenda these guys might be able to produce something interesting
Some mother's talking 'bout Guns' n 'Roses
As if i give a fuck
At best i think they suck

Muskrat

Postby Muskrat » 28 Feb 2021, 23:27

Jimbly wrote:
Muskrat wrote:

I'll take your word for it, but that doesn't sound right. On the other hand, I'm old and can barely remember my name.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 01 Mar 2021, 09:04

Muskrat wrote:
Jimbly wrote:
Muskrat wrote:

I'll take your word for it, but that doesn't sound right. On the other hand, I'm old and can barely remember my name.

there was a migration from Q to here but initially bcb was set up by Jethro due to issues with the Mojo board.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 01 Mar 2021, 12:03

Muskrat wrote:
Jimbly wrote:
Muskrat wrote:

As a genuine doyen, I can assure you Jimbly speaks the truth.
Bugger off.

robertff

Postby robertff » 01 Mar 2021, 15:27

Rorschach wrote:
Muskrat wrote:
Jimbly wrote:

Seconded, thirded whatever........

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 01 Mar 2021, 20:50

Q was crap from the very start.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 01 Mar 2021, 21:28

It was Smash Hits for middle aged pot bellied men in Queen t-shirts.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 01 Mar 2021, 23:11

jimboo wrote:It was Smash Hits for middle aged pot bellied men in Queen t-shirts.

What, then, was Mojo?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 01 Mar 2021, 23:12

Anyway, we got a fair few stellar people from the Q Boards, that’s all I know about it.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 02 Mar 2021, 07:23

Dr. Baron wrote:
jimboo wrote:It was Smash Hits for middle aged pot bellied men in Queen t-shirts.

What, then, was Mojo?

Rolling Stone for pot bellied men in Allman Bros t-shirts

Uncut (before you ask) was for pot bellied men in Damned/Ramones t-shirts.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 02 Mar 2021, 13:47

Jimbly wrote:Mojo website was suffering from zlib compression issues.

Who'd have thought Mojo would have a problem with modernity?
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

cheifwhat

Postby cheifwhat » 21 Apr 2021, 20:42

robertff wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
Muskrat wrote:

Seconded, thirded whatever........

Fourthed
Mostly dancing sir,...

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 21 Apr 2021, 21:00

robertff wrote:I stopped buying Q years ago because it mutated into Q beyond and then I stopped buying Mojo because it mutated into Q. I won't be investigating but thanks for the info nevertheless.

Sums it up nicely.

MOJO lost it for me when they began doing those '10,000 best rock/reggae/gamelan/zydeco/sufi/sitar/Bulgarian Female Choir albums of All Time' every month.

Talk about inflation in neoliberal times.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Return to “Yakety Yak”