JUOTA 2010 SAN FRANCISCO May 27-31

Events people say they're coming to until a day or so before the event.
Six String

Re: JUOTA 2010 SAN FRANCISCO May 27-31

Postby Six String » 10 Jun 2010, 23:25

Listened to Sloop's disc again today.

I like the Jill Sobule track and it's a nice opener.
I've never knowingly heard a Jellyfish track but I like this one. Neo-psych?
LMFAO was a rude shift in more ways than one. After a while I got used to the farting bass.
CaLove I've got on a comp from Owen years ago who is responsible for making me look at this music more than I would have otherwise. I like this track. The repetitive beats are less so which makes it groove a little better for me. We do know how to party. :D
The next two are kinda meh.
Gotta love Sahm no matter how many times you hear his music.
In San Francisco has boring verses but a very hooky chorus. You can't help but sing along.
Dock of the Bay is pretty good for what it is.
The John Doe song is cool to echo other's input. It reminds me of some of Alejandro's stuff from a few years back.
The last track is a nice little bring you down to earth seques.

There's always at least one comp that uses the JU city as a theme. You did a nice job with your song selection to make it a lovely reminder of that long weekend. I always say the most recent one is the best.
I guess that could mean that the JUs do keep getting better.....or I'm getting worse. :?
Last edited by Six String on 11 Jun 2010, 15:30, edited 2 times in total.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 11 Jun 2010, 01:34

Six String wrote:LMFAO was a rude shift in more ways than one. After a while I got used to the farting base.

What do you think the F in LMFAO stands for?

"Quite."

Six String

Postby Six String » 11 Jun 2010, 02:32

Yes and that should read bass and not base of course. ;)
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Jun 2010, 15:07

Six String wrote:In San Francisco has boring verses but a very hooky chorus. You can't help but sing along.

I totally agree with you on this song, Les. I would have discarded that opening verse as a 16 yr. old writing a song. It's terrible, just terrible. The rest of the verses aren't bad, but the strength is certainly in its chorus. It makes you think how a songwriter could write such bad verses and come up with such a strong chorus---they don't seem to match at all.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Six String

Postby Six String » 11 Jun 2010, 15:33

I never paid a lot of attention to Chris Isaak back when he was hot. It seems I was more interested in the movies that he was in or had songs on the soundtrack. Is he still having a tv career or did that go away?
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Jun 2010, 15:43

Six String wrote:I never paid a lot of attention to Chris Isaak back when he was hot. It seems I was more interested in the movies that he was in or had songs on the soundtrack. Is he still having a tv career or did that go away?

His show was pretty good, but I haven't seen it in years so I assume it's gone.

I don't think he even acts anymore with Jonathan Demme not making as many movies these days.

I bet he makes good money just playing corporate gigs and winery concerts.

Six String

Postby Six String » 11 Jun 2010, 15:59

sloopjohnc wrote:
Six String wrote:I never paid a lot of attention to Chris Isaak back when he was hot. It seems I was more interested in the movies that he was in or had songs on the soundtrack. Is he still having a tv career or did that go away?

His show was pretty good, but I haven't seen it in years so I assume it's gone.

I don't think he even acts anymore with Jonathan Demme not making as many movies these days.

I bet he makes good money just playing corporate gigs and winery concerts.

It's a living. :D Depending on the timing, I would probably go to a smallish winery type gig or if he played The Palms I'd go.

Speaking of The Palms, the one and only Billy Joe Shaver is going to be there soon.
It's the Knife Vs. Gun tour.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 12 Jun 2010, 19:54

The Baron wrote:6. PHAROAH SANDERS "Astral Traveling"

Had this disc on today without the track listing, and recognized this one straight away. Love this and the entire album (Thembi) from which it sprung.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Jun 2010, 22:19

It's taken me a week and a half but I have finally listened to someone elses's JU CD other than Mike and John's!

Thanks be to The Fish. Will give it another spin tomorrow.

Les, Richard and Dave to go!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 15 Jun 2010, 12:58

Minnie the Minx wrote:Thanks be to The Fish. Will give it another spin tomorrow.

Does that mean you didn't hate like I said you would ?

Can't imagine you getting down to Merle Haggard somehow :D
We're way past rhubarb

Six String

Postby Six String » 15 Jun 2010, 22:24

The Fish wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:Thanks be to The Fish. Will give it another spin tomorrow.

Does that mean you didn't hate like I said you would ?

Can't imagine you getting down to Merle Haggard somehow :D

People can change. :D

That Merle track is a corker.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

Postby T. Willy Rye » 16 Jun 2010, 15:36

I went to see the Giants play the Orioles (the worst team in the league) last night. The Giants got three hits and lost 4-1 while I froze my ass off. This is more typical of the games I attend and I definitely missed you guys. Minnie, do you radiate some kind of good fortune?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Jun 2010, 15:45

T. Willy Rye wrote:I went to see the Giants play the Orioles (the worst team in the league) last night. The Giants got three hits and lost 4-1 while I froze my ass off. This is more typical of the games I attend and I definitely missed you guys. Minnie, do you radiate some kind of good fortune?

She's also been a good luck charm in my car when finding a parking place in the city.

Baron too.

With both of them in the car, I'd probably hit every green light.

Six String

Postby Six String » 16 Jun 2010, 16:12

T. Willy Rye wrote:I went to see the Giants play the Orioles (the worst team in the league) last night. The Giants got three hits and lost 4-1 while I froze my ass off. This is more typical of the games I attend and I definitely missed you guys. Minnie, do you radiate some kind of good fortune?

It's all about attitude and the desire to be happy and Minnie has all of that +..........
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

T. Willy Rye

Postby T. Willy Rye » 16 Jun 2010, 16:34

Six String wrote:

It's all about attitude and the desire to be happy and Minnie has all of that +..........

Part of what made the game so enjoyable was listening to her stories (and of course Picklegate). Also connecting with Baron over music (90s indie, country, etc.). But 9th inning rallies also have their appeal.

Six String

Postby Six String » 16 Jun 2010, 17:02

T. Willy Rye wrote:
Six String wrote:

Part of what made the game so enjoyable was listening to her stories (and of course Picklegate). Also connecting with Baron over music (90s indie, country, etc.). But 9th inning rallies also have their appeal.

Those are the reasons I would have wanted to be there. Baseball is so far down the list for me and I'm barely a sports fan of any kind at all. Plus I knew my mom would rather be seeing SF close and personal instead of from the seats in the stadium.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Jun 2010, 17:18

Why, in God's name would you have picked this game to go to versus the 81 one other home games?

T. Willy Rye

Postby T. Willy Rye » 16 Jun 2010, 17:28

sloopjohnc wrote:

Why, in God's name would you have picked this game to go to versus the 81 one other home games?

A friend had a ticket so I guess I shouldn't complain. Schools out now too, so I don't have to get up in the morning, I wish Corinne, my 3 year old, would catch on to this idea.

Sloop, if you and Slang are still talking about a SJ Giants game, I'd be interested. I went a few years ago and loved that county fair kind of vibe.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Jun 2010, 17:34

T. Willy Rye wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

A friend had a ticket so I guess I shouldn't complain. Schools out now too, so I don't have to get up in the morning, I wish Corinne, my 3 year old, would catch on to this idea.

Sloop, if you and Slang are still talking about a SJ Giants game, I'd be interested. I went a few years ago and loved that county fair kind of vibe.

Yeah, I'd be up for it. They're only in town this month the last part of June but are home for lots more in July.

My recommendation would be a Saturday evening game. Sunday games are usually during the day and it gets hot down there. You could drive or take BART down to my place and we could drive down from here and hook up with Slangking at the stadium.

T. Willy Rye

Postby T. Willy Rye » 16 Jun 2010, 17:36

Sounds good.

Return to “Footy Ups”