JUOTA 2010 SAN FRANCISCO May 27-31

Events people say they're coming to until a day or so before the event.
zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Re: JUOTA 2010 SAN FRANCISCO May 27-31

Postby zoomboogity » 08 Jun 2010, 06:42

toomanyhatz wrote:Will report soon (though I'm still convinced everyone ignored/avoided mine- which the lack of commentary so far supports).

Yeah, I know how you feel. And after all the work I put into mine! :lol:

Rita is sending me everything I didn't get. I only remember four people even handing me anything the whole weekend, and if you gave me one, then someone else picked it up at some point, thinking it was theirs.

I just played Anna's. I like it better as it goes along, and the second half I like a lot. Didn't have song/artist info to read, just let it play. Now that I know what she was talking about, I'll go back to her post with the track listings and comments.

Now, about halfway through Anagram Master Fish's comp, HI SF, which I just realized I got. Will play Les' next. I'll just state in advance that they're both really good too!

"Quite."

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 08 Jun 2010, 14:10

I don't have the hatz's and I don't have one for Livet, but I seem to remember something about her not doing one? Maybe.
I've been listening to T. Willy's in the car.

zoomboogity wrote:I only remember four people even handing me anything the whole weekend, and if you gave me one, then someone else picked it up at some point, thinking it was theirs.

I'm on tape giving you sloop's!
"You've been made whole."
:cry:

I've told a few masochists that I'll send them mine.
I haven't forgotten about you weirdos!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Six String

Postby Six String » 08 Jun 2010, 15:41

Yes, I'm happy to send mine out to anyone needing to feel a little pain too!
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

Postby T. Willy Rye » 08 Jun 2010, 22:05

The Baron wrote:I don't have the hatz's and I don't have one for Livet, but I seem to remember something about her not doing one? Maybe.

I think that makes three times- you like it, eh? I feel honored that someone of your stature around here digs it. I'm one of the (weirdos) that's been listening to yours lately-even downlaoded a Shug Otis record and am planning on obtaining Mel Brown's Chicken Fat.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Jun 2010, 00:22

T. Willy Rye wrote:
The Baron wrote:I don't have the hatz's and I don't have one for Livet, but I seem to remember something about her not doing one? Maybe.

I think that makes three times- you like it, eh? I feel honored that someone of your stature around here digs it. I'm one of the (weirdos) that's been listening to yours lately-even downlaoded a Shug Otis record and am planning on obtaining Mel Brown's Chicken Fat.

I've listened to yours a couple times, Twill. It's good. Starts out pretty wild.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

T. Willy Rye

Postby T. Willy Rye » 09 Jun 2010, 16:28

Thanks sloop- it's been a long time anyone's used pretty wild to describe anything associated with me- I'll take it as high praise.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 Jun 2010, 16:38

T. Willy Rye wrote:Thanks sloop- it's been a long time anyone's used pretty wild to describe anything associated with me- I'll take it as high praise.

Eric - pretty wild goatee you got going on there!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String

Postby Six String » 09 Jun 2010, 16:39

T. Willy Rye wrote:Thanks sloop- it's been a long time anyone's used pretty wild to describe anything associated with me- I'll take it as high praise.

As well you should. I'm going to give your copy and the others another spin today if time allows. The African stuff on your comp is ace and helps add that "wild" character to it. :D
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 Jun 2010, 16:42

I apologise profusely, I absolutely will listen to some JU Cds this eve. Nothing personal.

I've been tied up with other stuff.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

T. Willy Rye

Postby T. Willy Rye » 09 Jun 2010, 19:27

I think I'll recreate my persona here on BCB- think of a guy who drives a Corvette and keeps massage oil on his person at all times.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Jun 2010, 19:52

T. Willy Rye wrote:I think I'll recreate my persona here on BCB- think of a guy who drives a Corvette and keeps massage oil on his person at all times.

More like: "Diamond in the back, sunroof top, diggin' the scene with a gangsta lean . . "

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 09 Jun 2010, 19:55

sloopjohnc wrote:
T. Willy Rye wrote:I think I'll recreate my persona here on BCB- think of a guy who drives a Corvette and keeps massage oil on his person at all times.

More like: "Diamond in the back, sunroof top, diggin' the scene with a gangsta lean . . "

Hell yeah!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

T. Willy Rye

Postby T. Willy Rye » 09 Jun 2010, 21:15

sloopjohnc wrote:

That's so much cooler than I could have hoped for.
Last edited by T. Willy Rye on 10 Jun 2010, 02:14, edited 1 time in total.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 10 Jun 2010, 01:51

Hang on, that's the image i've had of you all along... just with The Sidewinder blaring out the speakers!
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

T. Willy Rye

Postby T. Willy Rye » 10 Jun 2010, 02:47

Filthy McAngetsiby wrote:

Hang on, that's the image i've had of you all along... just with The Sidewinder blaring out the speakers!

I see you as rocking a handlebar mustache, crushed velvet track suit, Baby Face Willette oozing out your El Camino drawing sweet young thangs like bees to honey.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 10 Jun 2010, 02:51

Wow, no offense to anyone else, as I'm enjoying everybody's discs, but t.willy's is awesome! He seems to have the same taste as I do for 70s funk comps- his and mine both used different tracks from that Bay Area funk comp. And lots of good African and Latin American stuff for good measure- and oh my god, that Stanley Turrentine jam cooks! Great stuff.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Jun 2010, 03:02

toomanyhatz wrote:Wow, no offense to anyone else, as I'm enjoying everybody's discs, but t.willy's is awesome! He seems to have the same taste as I do for 70s funk comps- his and mine both used different tracks from that Bay Area funk comp. And lots of good African and Latin American stuff for good measure- and oh my god, that Stanley Turrentine jam cooks! Great stuff.

It's pretty boss, for sure.

He's BCB's secret weapon, or at least its decoder ring.

Maybe, I'll grow a mustache and goatee.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 10 Jun 2010, 03:05

T. Willy Rye wrote:I see you as rocking a handlebar mustache, crushed velvet track suit, Baby Face Willette oozing out your El Camino drawing sweet young thangs like bees to honey.

The El Camino's in the shop, so i'm givin the Gran Torino a spin... but the rest is all spot on, baby.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

T. Willy Rye

Postby T. Willy Rye » 10 Jun 2010, 03:33

Shucks, you guys. :oops:

Six String

Postby Six String » 10 Jun 2010, 16:35

I gave Minnie's disc another spin yesterday. I'm starting to be able to pick out DJ Shadow's music now. His drum sounds always sound very close to being "real." By that I mean, less canned, i.e. repetitive in a way that doesn't always suit these dinosaur ears. His music is always superbly put together, a master craftsman.
Many names on the disc that I've heard on the board or elsewhere but not familiar with. Between the more modern sound and the fact that it's slanted towards British artists, to paraphrase Baron, it's a little slice of Minnie's world and I can't help but see her smiling read lips when I play it. Those moody instrumentals I really like. The whole cd has a nice flow to it.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Return to “Footy Ups”