JUOTA 2009 - Austin, Texas - Weekend of May 23rd

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Six String

Re: JUOTA 2009 - Austin, Texas - Weekend of May 23rd

Postby Six String » 29 May 2009, 22:07

Most excellent LoL!
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 30 May 2009, 01:26

Leg of lamb wrote:That is, would he allow his iPod, and hence our entire in-transit listening, to be surrendered to shuffle? It should be pointed out that, quite other than the unimpeachable Gent of Taste you may have assumed him to be, Baron is a man who has not one, but TWO Lenny Kravitz albums on his iPod. The shuffle function was, therefore, not without its risks. I, for one, was totally in favour of it, reasoning that the indiscretions would be as delicious as the bull’s-eyes.

There are no indiscretions, just too many songs.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 30 May 2009, 01:30

Leg of lamb wrote:I, for one, was totally in favour of it,

Isn't there another way of saying that....?
a gibbon running freely

toomanypillowz
Location: The Historic Wilshire Vista District in Los Angeles

Postby toomanypillowz » 30 May 2009, 02:13

Leg of lamb wrote: my heaving gut was already straining to escape from my shirt like a Rottweiler from a muzzle.

You ARE a poet! ;)
Lance Matthew wrote:Oh, I've always inspired extreme reactions. I can reduce normal people to screaming harpies in minutes.

toomanyhatz wrote: Fuck you with a Craftsman rotary drill.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 30 May 2009, 03:01

toomanypillowz wrote:
Leg of lamb wrote: my heaving gut was already straining to escape from my shirt like a Rottweiler from a muzzle.

You ARE a poet! ;)

Wait, wait! I got one too:

It's hotter than a coon dog's ass in a one church town here.

How's about that?
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 30 May 2009, 03:04

No word from Zoomboogity so far. I guess our meeting here will be for another time.

Have fun in Baton Rouge, bro!

Leaving here tomorrow afternoon and head back to Houston for the flight home on Sunday.

I finally found the Dave Alvin and guess what? He's wearing the same kind of hat as the one I bought.

:lol: Fish :lol:

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 30 May 2009, 04:04

Great job, Leg! I won't have to write anything after all.

Leg of lamb wrote:After a very tasty lunch at one of Baron’s old Mexican haunts, and a valuable detour past that other great San Antonian monument, the hospital where our host was born, we headed back Austin-wards.

I hasten to add that it required no detour, but was next to the restaurant. Naturally, the commemorative painting thing is not to be hidden under a bushel!

Leg of lamb wrote:We went via Gruene, a town that boasts a fantastic traditional dancehall where our party stopped for a quick Corona and a poke around while Dirty Kelly set up for the night’s entertainment. (Was his name Dirty Kelly?? I have a feeling it was even better than that, but I can’t for the life of me remember.)

Reckless Kelly, I'm afraid.

Leg of lamb wrote:I think it’s safe to say that the evening was a tale of escalation. Graced by Brother Baron for the first and only time, our group descended upon Polvo’s and proceeded to get Polvo-rized on their heroic frozen Margaritas. I’ll leave it to others with more of a stake in Margarita folklore to explain why these were particularly great Margaritas, but all I know is that they got most of us bollocksed.

It's like this. One could argue that the margarita is not something to be snobby about. But that argument would only suggest that one had never had a good one! And so the frozen margarita is a great tragedy as it is grossly inferior to almost any mediocre margarita on the rocks. This is something that the sensitive soul will know intuitively. And so I went to Polvo's with Devon and was shocked when he ordered the frozen margaritas by the pitcher. I was more shocked by how good they were. It is the only frozen margarita I endorse. Its primary asset is that if you drink it outside when it's hot (and you should) when it invariably begins to melt, it doesn't seem so watered down and gross. The only way to drink margaritas by the pitcher. Which some would suggest is the only way to drink them.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Six String

Postby Six String » 30 May 2009, 17:22

Reckless Kelly is a solid country rock band. I think they opened for Dave Alvin once at The Palms. I'm not sure but I know I've seen them before and Gruene Hall would have been a great place to see them although for my money I would prefer Delbert McClinton or even better, Joe Ely or the Flatlanders.

Speaking of The Flatlanders, a friend of mine just saw them at Strawberry, a Memorial Day weekend music fest near Yosemite. The band is really hot and then you've got the Tres Amigos singing up front. I wish we could have seen them and Alejandro while we were in Austin but it was not to be.

I've listened to a couple of discs so far. Baron's was more eclectic than in previous years that I've attended and very interesting to boot.

Yves disc was solid as a rock. It was like an old comfortable shoe, erm I mean HAT! :lol: I have three or four of the songs already but most of the tunes I wasn't familiar with and the songs flowed smoothly.

I also played Toomanypillowz cd the other day too. The many styles and textures reminded me of Nilsson or Van Dyke Parks. The tunes were solid and well played. The piano was especially nice. Did you play all the piano parts?
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 30 May 2009, 19:57

First this was gonna be a comprehensive single disc Western Swing thing. Then I had to buy a car so I couldn't blow $600 or whatever it would've taken me to get up to speed for that. Then it was going to be Doug Sahm/Sir Doug but Charlie O was gonna come and he would be the go to guy for that. Then Charlie O backed out but Yves bought the box set so . . . you get a grab bag of my favorite things. Lucky you. Track commentary to follow.

BARON'S AUSTIN 09 THING

1. ALVIN CASH & THE CRAWLERS "Twine Time"
2. SPADE COOLEY "Steel Guitar Rag"
3. SIR DOUGLAS QUINTET "Me and My Destiny"
4. BEACH BOYS "Busy Doin' Nothing"
5. BURT BACHARACH "Trains And Boats And Planes"
6. STEREOLAB "Captain Easychord" (album version)
7. BROADCAST "Corporeal"
8. TORTOISE "Eros"
9. KING TUBBY & SOUL SYNDICATE "Great Stone"
10. CAETANO VELOSO "Irene"
11. ALTON ELLIS "Can I Change My Mind"
12. KING OLIVER'S CREOLE JAZZ BAND "Dippermouth Blues"
13. CLIFF BRUNER'S TEXAS WANDERERS "It Makes No Difference Now"
14. TED DAFFAN'S TEXANS "Born To Lose"
15. SIR DOUGLAS QUINTET "And It Didn't Even Bring Me Down"
16. DONNY HATHAWAY "The Ghetto"
17. JUNIOR BYLES "A Place Called Africa"
18. SPADE COOLEY "Spadello"

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 30 May 2009, 20:01

I think Yves owes us a track list too, by the way. I know it starts with Sonny Landreth (of which I approve), but there's stuff there I don't recognize.

I'll get to everyone's fine discs in due time- Baron's sounds great!
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

toomanypillowz
Location: The Historic Wilshire Vista District in Los Angeles

Postby toomanypillowz » 30 May 2009, 22:02

Six String wrote: I also played Toomanypillowz cd the other day too. The many styles and textures reminded me of Nilsson or Van Dyke Parks. The tunes were solid and well played. The piano was especially nice. Did you play all the piano parts?

Thanks; that's about the greatest compliment anyone could pay me!

I played all the piano & keyboards except for the organ on "Wrestling Match" - I left that to my friend Kristian Hoffman. I also came up with a lot of the horn & string parts and basic arrangements, though Probyn the trumpet player came up with some as well. The co-producer came up with some nice touches as well, like the sleighbells on "Beauty Wasted" and a lot of percussion stuff, which is my weak spot. The mixdown producer, Nick Walusco from the Wondermints, also added some cool stuff like the marxophone on "Monica."
Lance Matthew wrote:Oh, I've always inspired extreme reactions. I can reduce normal people to screaming harpies in minutes.

toomanyhatz wrote: Fuck you with a Craftsman rotary drill.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 30 May 2009, 23:28

Walk In My Shadow wrote:No word from Zoomboogity so far. I guess our meeting here will be for another time.

Have fun in Baton Rouge, bro!

Thanks, it's going pretty good so far. Not too humid (it was nice in Houston the last few days too), hope it stays that way tomorrow when we attempt to venture into NOLA.

Walk In My Shadow wrote:Leaving here tomorrow afternoon and head back to Houston for the flight home on Sunday.

"Missed it by THAT much!"

We finally got to BR around 1.30am and slept in late. By the time I called your hotel, you'd already checked out. So it looks like we missed each other in transit. Ah well, there will be more JUs in the future...

"Quite."

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 31 May 2009, 00:55

I AM very sorry, Zoom. We stayed as long as we could but noon was check out time, so...

We're now about an hour from Houston and call it a night here in Winnie, Tx.
Getting on the plane tomorrow. Sigh.

I will post a tracklist for my JU disc when I get home on Monday.

We both had a really good time for the past two weeks. Chantal didn't say much be she endorsed the hell out of y'all.
She'll probably be there at future JU's as well.

Hasta la thingymagick!

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 31 May 2009, 01:21

Walk In My Shadow wrote:We're now about an hour from Houston and call it a night here in Winnie, Tx.

Well, I guess it beats Vidor.

Walk In My Shadow wrote:We both had a really good time for the past two weeks. Chantal didn't say much be she endorsed the hell out of y'all.

Thanks for coming all that way!

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 31 May 2009, 01:26

Walk In My Shadow wrote:I AM very sorry, Zoom. We stayed as long as we could but noon was check out time, so...

No need to apologize, Yves, our schedules just didn't pan out. Michelle and I would have liked to have come out to the big JU shindig (her birthday was the 26th), but her schedule didn't allow any free time until this weekend, so that's the way it landed. No worries, as the kids say, 'sall good. In da 'hood. :)

Six String

Postby Six String » 31 May 2009, 23:17

toomanypillowz wrote:
Six String wrote: I also played Toomanypillowz cd the other day too. The many styles and textures reminded me of Nilsson or Van Dyke Parks. The tunes were solid and well played. The piano was especially nice. Did you play all the piano parts?

Thanks; that's about the greatest compliment anyone could pay me!

I played all the piano & keyboards except for the organ on "Wrestling Match" - I left that to my friend Kristian Hoffman. I also came up with a lot of the horn & string parts and basic arrangements, though Probyn the trumpet player came up with some as well. The co-producer came up with some nice touches as well, like the sleighbells on "Beauty Wasted" and a lot of percussion stuff, which is my weak spot. The mixdown producer, Nick Walusco from the Wondermints, also added some cool stuff like the marxophone on "Monica."

Thanks for the production notes. I'll use them the next time I play it. I'm snowed under with so much music right now. Between the JU cds and the ones I bought in Austin I think I have about 16 or so. :oops:
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 01 Jun 2009, 12:53

Six String wrote:I'm snowed under with so much music right now. Between the JU cds and the ones I bought in Austin I think I have about 16 or so. :oops:

I suspect I did the most damage in Waterloo and Cheapo of our crew.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 01 Jun 2009, 13:10

Sambient wrote:
Six String wrote:I'm snowed under with so much music right now. Between the JU cds and the ones I bought in Austin I think I have about 16 or so. :oops:

I think NOT !!

I reckon in one trip to Cheapos and two to Waterloo, I racked up $420+
We're way past rhubarb

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 01 Jun 2009, 13:43

The Fish wrote:
Sambient wrote:

I think NOT !!

RESPECT !!!

I got about 20 or so.

Finally back home, just got in. I reckon I'm up for 29 hours or so. Couldn't sleep on the flight home.

It's been superb, y'all. Post pics tomorrow.

Night.

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 01 Jun 2009, 15:13

The Fish wrote:
Sambient wrote:

I think NOT !!

You win!!!

Had I been less financially challenged this year, I would have definitely done more damage. And you and I would have been in substantial competition as to who got more.

I do count the shirts I bought at each location as part of the haul. Record store shirts have become a favorite travel souvenir.

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”