JUOTA 2009 - Austin, Texas - Weekend of May 23rd

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
The Fish
Beer Battered

JUOTA 2009 - Austin, Texas - Weekend of May 23rd

Postby The Fish » 22 Sep 2008, 18:59

Right then what are you all waiting for..

1) The Fish
We're way past rhubarb

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: JUOTA 2009 - Austin, Texas - Weekend of May 23rd

Postby toomanyhatz » 22 Sep 2008, 19:40

The Fish wrote:Right then what are you all waiting for..

Well, you know we're in!

1) The Fish
2) The Toomanies
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 23 Sep 2008, 01:11

1) The Fish
2) The Toomanies
3) La Sambient

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 23 Sep 2008, 01:13

To paraphrase a Roky Erickson joke: If I tell you I'm comin', will you still be there when I get there?

1) The Fish
2) The Toomanies
3) La Sambient
4) Charlie O.

toomanypillowz
Location: The Historic Wilshire Vista District in Los Angeles

Postby toomanypillowz » 23 Sep 2008, 01:23

toomanyhatz wrote:
The Fish wrote:Right then what are you all waiting for..

Well, you know we're in!

1) The Fish
2) The Toomanies

Cool! I've never been to Austin. :)
Lance Matthew wrote:Oh, I've always inspired extreme reactions. I can reduce normal people to screaming harpies in minutes.

toomanyhatz wrote: Fuck you with a Craftsman rotary drill.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 23 Sep 2008, 13:05

Woo Hoo. We've got our first JUOTA first-timer signed up for Austin. Hope to see you there Charlie.
We're way past rhubarb

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Sep 2008, 15:08

have you guys ever thought of booking a condo/apartment/house, instead of going via the hotel route? With the amount of people attending, it's certainly viable, finance wise - and it may be much more 'together' if you retire to your own communal place at the end of the day?

I'm looking to book through this website next year in Vegas:

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/us ... try/austin

As you can see, there's a fine selection of places in Austin, and it may well be worth a look?
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 23 Sep 2008, 18:06

Big Brother: Austin
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

toomanypillowz
Location: The Historic Wilshire Vista District in Los Angeles

Postby toomanypillowz » 23 Sep 2008, 18:11

Diamond Dog wrote:have you guys ever thought of booking a condo/apartment/house, instead of going via the hotel route? With the amount of people attending, it's certainly viable, finance wise - and it may be much more 'together' if you retire to your own communal place at the end of the day?

As you can see, there's a fine selection of places in Austin, and it may well be worth a look?

That is a good suggestion; I think we'll get a hotel room on our own, though. :)
Lance Matthew wrote:Oh, I've always inspired extreme reactions. I can reduce normal people to screaming harpies in minutes.

toomanyhatz wrote: Fuck you with a Craftsman rotary drill.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 24 Sep 2008, 01:02

Oh shit!
This is gonna happen, eh?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 24 Sep 2008, 03:44

1) The Fish
2) The Toomanies
3) La Sambient
4) Charlie O.
5) Baron
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 24 Sep 2008, 04:14

OK. First, for Americans, Southwest flies to Austin. Sign up for their special deal emails.
Continental goes through Houston and the other biggies probably go through D/FW. Both are a short hour flight away. There may be some direct flights to Austin from the West Coast.

Now, as for hotel advice . . . I don't have much. The main thing is to be central. Look at your Austin Map. Downtown Austin is bisected by the Colorado River (also known as Town Lake and now that she's dead, Lady Bird Lake). South of the lake is South Austin. I-35 runs north/south. East of I-35 is East Austin. It is, perhaps, the last frontier of gentrification. We're going to draw a square of desirability. You want to be between I-35 to the east and Lamar Blvd. to the west. You want to be south of 15th St. (just north of the capitol) and north of 290 West/Ben White (or better still, Oltorf). Most of the hotels will be solidly downtown. So if you find a special hotel deal, look up the hotel on a map and see where you are. I would avoid anything with an I-35 address unless you will have a car. In general, if you are in South Austin, you will want to be on South Congress (nauseatingly rebranded as SoCo :cry: ). To that end, I can recommend the Austin Motel. It is not a modern hotel so if you need a million amenities, it's not going to get it, but you absolutely cannot beat the price for the location. There's a lot of shopping, food, and the Continental Club is across the street. It's a walk downtown, but it's nothing you can't handle, and you could always take a cab or a bus if it was. It's a heavily trafficked area, so it's popping at most hours. Next door is the Hotel San Jose which appears to be a little more cha-cha, if you know what I mean. If I had the dough, I would stay there. It is perhaps worth noting that Jo's is between the two (or damn near it) which is a convenient spot for a drink or a pastry or a sandwich or some coffee etc. Downtown, all the big shot fancy type places can be found, and that's what you're likely to come up with on Hotwire. I assume they speak for themselves and would do fine. The Driskill is worth noting as the token grand old place. I would also point out the La Quinta which is right by the Capitol, on the northern fringe of downtown. I only mention it because it is likely to be a cheaper downtown option.

Intrepid walkers will be fine. Otherwise, you'll need to get your noggin around the bus service (if you're on South Congress, you can count on a line or two going up and down Congress if you don't want to across Town Lake to downtown -- which is the same idea if you're downtown and need to go to South Congress) or carry a taxi service's phone number, or make friends with me.

I'll try to post more stuff that you might need to know when I think of it. Seems like hotels and general orientation are probably most pressing right now, though.

In the meantime, you can probably get something out of the Austin Chronicle website. It's the free weekly and has all sorts of self-congratulatory "Best Of" polls and restaurant guides and the like.
Last edited by BARON CORNY DOG on 24 Sep 2008, 05:44, edited 1 time in total.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 24 Sep 2008, 04:31

On most of my Austin trips I've stayed at the Super 8 at the intersection of I-35 and 12th Street. Lite on character it may be, but it's comfortable, reasonably convenient (particularly if you got wheels), and the rooms come with fridges and microwaves.

I stayed at the Austin Motel once, and I liked it - except for the bug problem. There were ants all over the sink and a dead cricket or two in the bathroom. As it happened, I had to switch rooms after the first night anyway (I didn't reserve in advance that trip), so when I did, I mentioned the bug thing to the girl at the front desk. Instead of being properly mortified and offering me a discount on my bill, she just shrugged and explained that the motel's owners were hippies who didn't believe in using insecticides. In any event, my second room was bug-free.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 24 Sep 2008, 05:46

Diamond Dog wrote:have you guys ever thought of booking a condo/apartment/house, instead of going via the hotel route? With the amount of people attending, it's certainly viable, finance wise - and it may be much more 'together' if you retire to your own communal place at the end of the day?

That could work depending on location . . . downtown or very close to a major artery in South Austin (South Congress Ave., South First St.).

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 24 Sep 2008, 13:21

LeBaron wrote:carry a taxi service's phone number, or make friends with me.

B

You owe me a taxi service n'est ce pas ?

I'd say DD's condo idea appears to be a moneysaver, but I'd have a number of misgivings about the logistics. I mean 10 people in a house, in Texas, in late May and only one (or maybe two) showers !!
We're way past rhubarb

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 24 Sep 2008, 13:24

The Fish wrote:
LeBaron wrote:carry a taxi service's phone number, or make friends with me.

B

You owe me a taxi service n'est ce pas ?

Oui.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 24 Sep 2008, 13:45

Charlie O. wrote:On most of my Austin trips I've stayed at the Super 8 at the intersection of I-35 and 12th Street. Lite on character it may be, but it's comfortable, reasonably convenient (particularly if you got wheels), and the rooms come with fridges and microwaves.

That definitely looks like a contender.
We're way past rhubarb

moonie

Postby moonie » 24 Sep 2008, 18:45

1) The Fish
2) The Toomanies
3) La Sambient
4) Charlie O.
5) Baron
6) Moonie*

*If I'm still a resident. Hopefully yes, but one never knows.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 24 Sep 2008, 18:54

moonie wrote:*If I'm still a resident. Hopefully yes, but one never knows.

neverknows is gonna be there? Excellent!

moonie

Postby moonie » 24 Sep 2008, 23:47

Charlie O. wrote:
moonie wrote:*If I'm still a resident. Hopefully yes, but one never knows.

neverknows is gonna be there? Excellent!

Yeah if we pay for it!

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”