The Dog and Dome (Led Zep at the O2)

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
dang65

Re: The Dog and Dome (Led Zep at the O2)

Postby dang65 » 06 Feb 2008, 13:46

None of them have said "no". And that means "yes". (Does that defence stand up in court these days?)

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 06 Feb 2008, 18:21

Late 2008 or 2009?? Or maybe just a few select shows in the lead up to Christmas. That's gotta be favourite. To promote the 02 DVD. I'm sure that'll end up being a pre-Chrimbo release.

Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe
spud thick mick

Postby Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe » 06 Feb 2008, 22:42

dang65 wrote:Completely farcical news reports coming out at the moment!

http://news.google.co.uk/news?tab=wn&hl ... q=zeppelin

Associated Press actually put out a news item on the wires headlined, "Led Zeppelin Heads Bonnaroo Lineup". Instant chaos. Article has been re-published on many sites, including the Daily Telegraph.

It now appears that the actual band appearing at Bonnaroo is, erm, LEZ Zeppelin - an all female tribute band.

Associated Press. D'oh.

:lol: I saw them here last summer - pretty good actually. That singer can hit the high notes way better than Percy can these days. And she's hotter.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 07 Feb 2008, 18:35

I haven't really anything worthy to add to this thread but my Mrs pointed out there's a "LED ZEPPELIN MEMORABILIA EXHIBITION" Friday 1st August - Wednesday 3rd September, at the Library at Knebworth House - http://www.knebworthhouse.com/events/events.html - not much on the website as yet.

Yes, I know it's months away but as I only live a few miles down the road i'll be certain to pop along 8-)

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Feb 2008, 13:33

Yeah, I think I may pop along to that - but let's hope it's not just another cash in by the Bannister's.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Feb 2008, 19:39

A new interview with Jimmy:

He obviously understands Japanese!
Cocaine

dang65

Postby dang65 » 19 Feb 2008, 22:34

"...Tony Thompson, who had played with Power House..."

I knew he blamed the drummers for Live Aid, but now we find that he didn't even know which band Tony Thompson played with.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Mar 2008, 10:36

dang65 wrote:
"...Tony Thompson, who had played with Power House..."

I knew he blamed the drummers for Live Aid, but now we find that he didn't even know which band Tony Thompson played with.

Well, blaming the drummers was a backhanded way to bitch at Plant, wasn't it? Don't forget, Collins played on the first Plant album (maybe the second too?) and I think played live with him at the start (that may be wrong). Easy to blame Robert's connections - rather than the fact his guitar was out of tune from the start onwards. :lol:

I think there's a realisation that Plant may have seriously meant it when he said 'one off, and then I'm concerned with Alison'. That tour does end in July though - but the question is does the second album get recorded before or after that?
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Mar 2008, 11:23

Diamond Dog wrote:Paul Rodgers - "All Right Now" worked really well (though I really hate it now) and then he did a solo acoustic "Straight Shooter" (I think?), which didn't. He can still most definitely sing - but he needs to lose that oh so insincere grin. Oh, and love himself like 3000% less. He is, I'm afraid, a bit-of-a-cock.

:lol:

That just made me chuckle.

:lol:
Cocaine

My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert

Postby My name is Spaulding » 17 Mar 2008, 11:36

Diamond Dog wrote:A new interview with Jimmy:

He obviously understands Japanese!

He actually looks Japanese!
Walk In My Shadow wrote:If Spaulding buys it, I'll buy it too.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Mar 2008, 20:24

From ledzeppelin.com:

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com//index.ph ... =5057&st=0

Brief snippets of interviews with all three appearing Uncut this month.

Well, JPJ seems happy enough to work with Jimmy again......... :lol:
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Apr 2008, 09:44

Well, well, well............

Rumour (correct that, very strong rumour) is that Jimmy, JPJ and Jason are working on new material in London at the moment. Will Robert come along for the ride?
Cocaine

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 13 Apr 2008, 13:47

Diamond Dog wrote:Well, well, well............

Rumour (correct that, very strong rumour) is that Jimmy, JPJ and Jason are working on new material in London at the moment. Will Robert come along for the ride?

Of course, not just yet mind but he'll be there. Very interesting indeed. I suppose if it does come down to it they could always go out with another vocalist under another band name, but i'm sure it wont come to that. Percy WILL turn up eventually.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 14 Apr 2008, 09:00

Pool Hall Richard wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Well, well, well............

Of course, not just yet mind but he'll be there. Very interesting indeed. I suppose if it does come down to it they could always go out with another vocalist under another band name, but i'm sure it wont come to that. Percy WILL turn up eventually.

I think the possibility of the other three carrying on, with a new vocalist, is very real. If planty doesn't want it, there'll sure be a queue of singers that would.

Would it be a Led Zeppelin album? No. Would that necessarily be a bad thing? Possibly not.
Cocaine

dang65

Postby dang65 » 14 Apr 2008, 09:32

What's really getting me about the official Zep forum, and others like it, is the complete negativity towards any kind of reunion or new recordings. It seems to come down to some kind of misguided "it's not Zeppelin without John Bonham" loyalty. Of course Bonzo was unique, but to use that as a reason to neuter the other three seems bizarre. The three of them together with Jason have easily proved that they are head and shoulders above any other survivors from that era, and they're playing better now than they did during the later years of the original band.

I suppose people don't want to spoil the almost perfect legacy of Led Zeppelin. But no one will want to avoid that more than Page, Jones and Plant.

This is dream news for me. If they decide that the new stuff is no good then I'm sure we'll never hear it. Fair enough. But if it's as good as the O2 show suggests it could be then we may be in for the greatest comeback ever.

Kinkhurt

Postby Kinkhurt » 14 Apr 2008, 10:42

dang65 wrote:The three of them together with Jason have easily proved that they are head and shoulders above any other survivors from that era, and they're playing better now than they did during the later years of the original band.

Come on - it was a showcase, if had run on any tighter rails it could have been mistaken for a train. It made up for the shoddy 80's performances at Live Aid and Atlantic, and little else. Months of rehersals for one gig. They aren't the same band and they never will be again, it wasn't that different from Page/Plant circa 98 - good to see them playing together again but retreading well trodden ground with little in the way of surprises. Plant has lost his range and Jimmy is a bit too wooden. JPJ carried it off with dignity, Plant knows he got lucky but Jimmy still thinks its 1973. Release the gig on DVD and walk away.
angering the feeble

dang65

Postby dang65 » 14 Apr 2008, 11:55

Kinkhurt wrote:Come on - it was a showcase, if had run on any tighter rails it could have been mistaken for a train. It made up for the shoddy 80's performances at Live Aid and Atlantic, and little else. Months of rehersals for one gig. They aren't the same band and they never will be again, it wasn't that different from Page/Plant circa 98 - good to see them playing together again but retreading well trodden ground with little in the way of surprises. Plant has lost his range and Jimmy is a bit too wooden. JPJ carried it off with dignity, Plant knows he got lucky but Jimmy still thinks its 1973. Release the gig on DVD and walk away.

Yes, that's exactly the sort of thing they're saying on the Zep forums. :-(

But I don't see it that way. Plant hasn't had his early Zep range since about 1975, but he still puts in superb performances. His singing at the O2 was fantastic. Listen to Kashmir. Primal! Page's playing was wooden? It was wild and dirty like probably only Neil Young can do apart from Page.

So the O2 was a showcase, true, but I wouldn't expect them to do anything other than a showcase with any new stuff or with more shows. Live Aid and Atlantic were just terrible mistakes which they've felt terrible about for years, and which they won't repeat. They're ready to put that completely behind them. If the new stuff doesn't sound right then they will walk away. If the O2 had been lacklustre, or just average, then I'd probably have agreed with you. But I was there, and I want more!

Kinkhurt

Postby Kinkhurt » 15 Apr 2008, 14:34

dang65 wrote:
Kinkhurt wrote:Come on - it was a showcase, if had run on any tighter rails it could have been mistaken for a train. It made up for the shoddy 80's performances at Live Aid and Atlantic, and little else. Months of rehersals for one gig. They aren't the same band and they never will be again, it wasn't that different from Page/Plant circa 98 - good to see them playing together again but retreading well trodden ground with little in the way of surprises. Plant has lost his range and Jimmy is a bit too wooden. JPJ carried it off with dignity, Plant knows he got lucky but Jimmy still thinks its 1973. Release the gig on DVD and walk away.

Yes, that's exactly the sort of thing they're saying on the Zep forums. :-(

But I don't see it that way. Plant hasn't had his early Zep range since about 1975, but he still puts in superb performances. His singing at the O2 was fantastic. Listen to Kashmir. Primal! Page's playing was wooden? It was wild and dirty like probably only Neil Young can do apart from Page.

I don't want to come across as a grouch because I wasn't there - a great time was had by all, I'm sure but ....

they'd tuned down some of the songs so Plant could sing them - listen to stairway for instance, ouch.

Pages playing, yep it was decent - no flubbing this time - but compare that to something easily available, like the TSRT soundtrack - not Zeps finest hour by along way but listen to his playing. Compare SIBLY on both recordings hear the fluidity in the NY version and compare it to the rudimentary stiffer version at the 02. Then listen to the lines he was pulling off in D&C and Celebration Day in NY and compare it to the standard of the 02 playing. The agility isn't there anymore. The tone he had in NY is far superior to what he was using at 02 and thats not just down to the equipment, or the sound of the actual audience recording if you can get past that - its down to the way hes driving the amp. In the 70's he was using the guitar controls and his body working with or against the amp to get the sound - watch the dvd and you can see him doing this, not many players were adept at this - Hendrix obviously, but not many others. At the 02 this is missing, but it has been since the 80's.

But the biggest difference is the drumming - Jason is nothing like his dad and that changes everything - Jason is meat'n'potatoes rock - John was a melting pot of styles which Jason doesn't have and apparently can't emulate. Whenever Page was interviewed he'd go on about how John was essential to the sound and I always though that was the talk of a friend playing tribute and getting some good PR for a fallen, shit-hot drummer with a legendary bad attitude to animate and inanimate objects alike .... but this is the first reform recording where the performance is good enough to make a comparison, and its true. Once you've got past the fact that they're playing the hits and sound great on one level - dig in there and theres a big lump of groove missing. Some people will notice that and others won't give a shit - "hey, its whole lotta love !" - whatever floats your boat, but thats what I notice.
angering the feeble

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 20 May 2008, 14:15

Well, with Plant & Krauss announcing shows into October this year, that appears to rule out anything from this four in '08.

Will it ever happen?
Cocaine

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 20 May 2008, 21:43

Diamond Dog wrote:Well, with Plant & Krauss announcing shows into October this year, that appears to rule out anything from this four in '08.

Will it ever happen?

Next year. They're obviously holding back the O2 DVD so next year is left wide open for something, however big or small it may be. But agreed, this year is certainly out of the question.

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”