JUotA 2008: New Orleans May 23-26

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Livet
'progressively malty'

Re: JUotA 2008: New Orleans May 23-26

Postby Livet » 21 May 2008, 01:54

toomanyfreakinhatzalready! wrote:Can anyone that arrives sooner than Friday night look into the possiblity of:

a) tickets still being available
and
b) availability of any shuttles to the game?

It's actually easier to check out these things on line. Tickets are most definitely available. I couldn't find anything about a shuttle. However, we have United Taxi's number, so I don't see a problem with transportation. Really, no need to rent a car.
The crazy music drives you insane

Livet
'progressively malty'

Postby Livet » 21 May 2008, 01:58

corporate whore wrote:Expect us to be by the pool by about 17:00 tomorrow!

Meeting at the pool - a new jolly up high! Speaking of which, mine's a mint julep!
The crazy music drives you insane

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 21 May 2008, 03:17

Livet wrote:
toomanyfreakinhatzalready! wrote:Can anyone that arrives sooner than Friday night look into the possiblity of:

a) tickets still being available
and
b) availability of any shuttles to the game?

It's actually easier to check out these things on line. Tickets are most definitely available. I couldn't find anything about a shuttle. However, we have United Taxi's number, so I don't see a problem with transportation. Really, no need to rent a car.

Is anyone taking the airport shuttle to the hotel? They might be available for such a venture, if there's enough of us to split the costs. Maybe inquire with them.

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 21 May 2008, 14:22

Livet wrote:
corporate whore wrote:Expect us to be by the pool by about 17:00 tomorrow!

Meeting at the pool - a new jolly up high! Speaking of which, mine's a mint julep!

Me at the bar; A Mojito please

Barmaid; I can do anything but a Mojito

Me; OK, how about a Mint Julip?

Her; I can do anything that does not have mint in it

Me; Margerita it is then.

Ironically, Margerittaville do an excellent Mojito.

moonie

Postby moonie » 21 May 2008, 19:47

If you find a place that does a mint julep, don't let them give you that crap Early Times pre-made stuff. Insist on the sugar, mint and a decent bourbon.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 22 May 2008, 03:28

moonie wrote:If you find a place that does a mint julep, don't let them give you that crap Early Times pre-made stuff.

Pre-made mint juleps? That is fully outrageous. The only thing more outrageous than the concept itself is a bar selling them.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 22 May 2008, 05:27

Well, I reckon about half of the crew is down there by now. Wish I was. Hope y'all found eachother and are having fun!

So I was messing around with my JU cd in the iTunes playlist I had set up for it. I had everything in a basic order and was getting rid of a song, but somehow, rather than deleting the one song, I deleted the whole playlist. :o :(
So I'll try to throw something down tomorrow after work. :roll:
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 22 May 2008, 05:47

Yeah, having fun, though we're all pretty tired. Traveling and then reveling.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 May 2008, 09:38

Sambient wrote:Yeah, having fun, though we're all pretty tired. Traveling and then revealing.

Oh, really?
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

moonie

Postby moonie » 22 May 2008, 12:23

Il Baron wrote:
moonie wrote:If you find a place that does a mint julep, don't let them give you that crap Early Times pre-made stuff.

Pre-made mint juleps? That is fully outrageous. The only thing more outrageous than the concept itself is a bar selling them.

That's what they pass off at the Derby! It's outrageous. For sure.

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 22 May 2008, 14:27

Diamond Dog wrote:
Sambient wrote:Yeah, having fun, though we're all pretty tired. Traveling and then revealing.

Oh, really?

Be on the lookout for the Wish You Were Here postcard.

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 22 May 2008, 15:40

Hello, Dears.

I am sad I can't be there (having been pushing for NOLA since 2005), but am wishing the greatest weekend for all of you. There really is no place like it in the world.

My fiance surprised me yesterday by saying (out of the blue), "I'm sorry you can't go to your Jolly Up." Quite apart from the shock of hearing that phrase uttered by a non-BCBer, I was touched by the selflessness and thoughtfulness of the very thought. She added that she would have surprised me with airplane tickets as an early Father's Day gift, had the first half of our year been more financially comfortable (it wasn't).

Anyhow, enjoy the shit out of New Orleans.

I seem to recall that there are a few locals on BCB these days, so...make sure they feed you well.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 22 May 2008, 17:09

Remember when I said I couldn't make it because I couldn't get time off from work?
Well, I really couldn't.

In unforeseen circumstances Mrs the Shadow had a gastric bypass last week and is just back from the hospital.
She needs someone to take care of her, fix her meals, etc.
Now they really had to give me two weeks off to play nurse/house husband.
Serves them right! :twisted:
On the other hand if this had happened when in N.O...
I don't want to think about it. :?

Have a good one y'all, Darth is with youse in spirit.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 22 May 2008, 20:26

Yves, sorry about the missus. Take good care of her.

Weather forecasts that had been looking good leading into the event have changed. There have been several thunderstorms today. I've soaked one change of clothes because umbrellas are a useless prospect when faced with this sort of downpour. It, alas, was not an isolated incident.
Various parties are walking about. I've opted back out for the moment because, well, I guess I took a page from the Piledriver notebook. I seem to have broken, or I'm really pretty sure it's broken, a toe here last night. No, I don't deserve the Piledriver award because I wasn't drunk, no one saw me do it, and it's not that entertaining to just smack your bare foot really hard in your hotel room.
I did some walking, but realized I needed to get back off the foot with the purple toe (which matches only one of my outfits, and I've already worn that one).
It's a shame, I'm sure a weekday is better than a weekend to do stuff. But the lightening is getting more fierce as I sit here, I think some of the troops might return. Maybe I'm not missing as much as I imagine.
So, I'll nuture my boo-boo with the expectation that tomorrow will have me back in the ball game, so to speak.
Ooh, all this rain, that swamp tour tomorrow is gonna be extra swampy.
Some jolly up tipple fortification should help me feel less pain.

moonie

Postby moonie » 22 May 2008, 20:51

* I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous *

Here's to hoping the weather tomorrow is great, and it holds out the rest of the weekend. If not, drink!

toomanypillowz
Location: The Historic Wilshire Vista District in Los Angeles

Postby toomanypillowz » 22 May 2008, 20:57

Howdy - this is Toomanyhatz's gf. Just wanted to say I'm really excited about New Orleans; we leave tomorrow. :) Looking forward to seeing the folks I met in NY (I know Sambient and Livet are going; hooray!), and to meeting the rest of you.

I'd be up for a historical tour of some kind, if anyone has anything like that in mind, because I'm kinda nerdy that way. A river boat tour sounds very fun, too. (Then again, so does lounging by the hotel pool . . . ahhhhhhhh . . . . I've packed my swimsuit!).

- TMP
Lance Matthew wrote:Oh, I've always inspired extreme reactions. I can reduce normal people to screaming harpies in minutes.

toomanyhatz wrote: Fuck you with a Craftsman rotary drill.

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 22 May 2008, 20:58

There's not much to the pool. But still pack your swimsuit.
See you soon!

T. Berry Shuffle
sharp-eyed archivist

Postby T. Berry Shuffle » 22 May 2008, 21:09

T. Berry is westbound and down, see youse all soon!
You read that in a book, didn't you?!

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 May 2008, 21:25

Toomanypillowz wrote:Howdy - this is Toomanyhatz's gf. Just wanted to say I'm really excited about New Orleans; we leave tomorrow. :) Looking forward to seeing the folks I met in NY (I know Sambient and Livet are going; hooray!), and to meeting the rest of you.

I'd be up for a historical tour of some kind, if anyone has anything like that in mind, because I'm kinda nerdy that way. A river boat tour sounds very fun, too. (Then again, so does lounging by the hotel pool . . . ahhhhhhhh . . . . I've packed my swimsuit!).

- TMP

Hello Mrs Pillows - nice to finally see you on here!
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 22 May 2008, 21:30

Toomanypillowz wrote:Howdy - this is Toomanyhatz's gf. Just wanted to say I'm really excited about New Orleans; we leave tomorrow. :) Looking forward to seeing the folks I met in NY (I know Sambient and Livet are going; hooray!), and to meeting the rest of you.

- TMP

Hi Carolyn!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”