JUotA 2008: New Orleans May 23-26

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Sambient

JUotA 2008: New Orleans May 23-26

Postby Sambient » 15 Sep 2007, 12:22

Come on. You know you wanna.

For those who haven't done this before or have questions about the dates, this timeframe has been the tradition for this event. This falls on a weekend when there is a U.S. holiday on the Monday, creating the possibility of hanging out a little longer. Attend as many days as you like. In true Jolly Up tradition, Saturday evening is usually the main gathering, the day you want to make sure you're there for and when comps get swapped by those who participate in that activity.
The main thing is getting together to talk bollocks in person and watch many slip further into inebriation. Good times!

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Re: JUotA 2008: New Orleans May 23-26

Postby Velvis » 15 Sep 2007, 12:27

Sambient wrote:Come on. You know you wanna.

For those who haven't done this before or have questions about the dates, this timeframe has been the tradition for this event. This falls on a weekend when there is a U.S. holiday on the Monday, creating the possibility of hanging out a little longer. Attend as many days as you like. In true Jolly Up tradition, Saturday evening is usually the main gathering, the day you want to make sure you're there for and when comps get swapped by those who participate in that activity.
The main thing is getting together to talk bollocks in person and watch many slip further into inebriation. Good times!

I hope that before we go, Google adds New Orleans to the list of cities that you can virtually drive through. It's be helpful to get a little topographic/directional familiarity before we go.
a gibbon running freely

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 15 Sep 2007, 12:39

Maybe a virtual drunk drive through New Orleans would be most appropriate.

We are blessed with some posters, hopefully participants, who are quite familiar with New Orleans.
Past years have been just fine even when we don't know the area too well. Exploring is one of my favorite parts of the jolly ups, which might be why I try for an additional day for myself this time.

Time to start casually looking into hotels for the do. It does work well when most of us inhabit the same place.
Since there are many concerns about heat, we should definitely aspire to a place with a nice pool.

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 15 Sep 2007, 12:49

Sambient wrote:Maybe a virtual drunk drive through New Orleans would be most appropriate.

We are blessed with some posters, hopefully participants, who are quite familiar with New Orleans.
Past years have been just fine even when we don't know the area too well. Exploring is one of my favorite parts of the jolly ups, which might be why I try for an additional day for myself this time.

Time to start casually looking into hotels for the do. It does work well when most of us inhabit the same place.
Since there are many concerns about heat, we should definitely aspire to a place with a nice pool.

I think virtual drive throughs are pretty cool for learning.

About a year ago I played through the first Tomb Raider again. My wife was impressed that I knew my way around the labyrinths so well. "Well, I've been here before. Spent a lot of time here", I replied. And it was virtually true!
a gibbon running freely

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 15 Sep 2007, 13:18

1) The Fish
We're way past rhubarb

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 15 Sep 2007, 14:27

1) The Fish
2) The Velvis
a gibbon running freely

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 15 Sep 2007, 16:12

1) The Fish
2) The Velvis
3) the kath

i'm working on the hotel thing, folks. i got an initial ok a few months back, now waiting for the definitive yes. the guy i need has flown (flapflap) to tampa bay for the saints-bucs game. let's all hope the saints win, as this may put him in a rowdy yet generous mood.

keep yer fingers crossed. hell, keep yer nads and yer ovaries crossed, too. i am sans ovaries, so i guess i'll hafta cross my ass cheeks.

prognosis: very good.

whatever ya do, don't book a room yet. gimme til mid next week.
Last edited by kath on 15 Sep 2007, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 15 Sep 2007, 19:08

Velvis wrote:I think virtual drive throughs are pretty cool for learning.

And virtual drive-bys are much friendlier than the real thing.
Last edited by harvey k-tel on 15 Sep 2007, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

kath

Postby kath » 15 Sep 2007, 19:15

Velvis wrote:I think virtual drive throughs are pretty cool for learning.

yeah, but their french fries suck.

kath
(harvey started it.)

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 16 Sep 2007, 00:22

1) The Fish
2) The Velvis
3) the kath
4) The hatz

Fly or drive? Where to stay? It'll all work out in the end. Nothing like a nice 8-month head start to figure these things out.

Meaning, all you people that didn't make it to Chicago, you have time to figure this out. Plus it'll be cheaper. I expect at least 25 sign ups by the end of this week.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Cosmic American Girl

Postby Cosmic American Girl » 16 Sep 2007, 01:36

1) The Fish
2) The Velvis
3) the kath
4) The hatz
5) The Girl

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 16 Sep 2007, 08:54

1) The Fish
2) The Velvis
3) the kath
4) The hatz
5) The Girl
6)The Whore (70% chance)

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 16 Sep 2007, 18:18

1) The Fish
2) The Velvis
3) the kath
4) The hatz
5) The Girl
6)The Whore (70% chance)
7) The Shadow (70% also)
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

eelpie62
carpetbagger

Postby eelpie62 » 17 Sep 2007, 03:52

Pecanpie and I could have made N'awlins last May but we're moving back up to the PNW this winter and any long trips next year are going to have to center around seeing games in Yankee and Shea before they close them down. Don't think we'll even be able to do that, but that's the current priority.
At least we made it to the two Tennessee JUotAs.
Our move will put Seattle, Doomtown, Vansterdam, 'Frisco and L.A. in to easy striking range so here's hoping for a left coast Jolly one day soon.
"Nuts"
~ Anthony McAuliffe, December 22, 1944

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 17 Sep 2007, 07:03

eelpie62 wrote:Our move will put Seattle, Doomtown, Vansterdam, 'Frisco and L.A. in to easy striking range so here's hoping for a left coast Jolly one day soon.

Vansterdam is Vancouver, I'm guessing, a friendly place for herbalists though I don't think it's openly sold there. But what's Doomtown?

Of course once you get settled, you will have to come to an LA Jolly. We're friendly and flexible, ask anyone who's been. Everybody has fun, and jam sessions are a tradition.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

eelpie62
carpetbagger

Postby eelpie62 » 17 Sep 2007, 11:29

Doomtown was Greg Sage & The Wiper's song about Portland.
"Nuts"
~ Anthony McAuliffe, December 22, 1944

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 17 Sep 2007, 20:20

kath wrote:i'm working on the hotel thing, folks. i got an initial ok a few months back, now waiting for the definitive yes. the guy i need has flown (flapflap) to tampa bay for the saints-bucs game. let's all hope the saints win, as this may put him in a rowdy yet generous mood.

keep yer fingers crossed. hell, keep yer nads and yer ovaries crossed, too. i am sans ovaries, so i guess i'll hafta cross my ass cheeks.

prognosis: very good.

whatever ya do, don't book a room yet. gimme til mid next week.

Sugar, you've got time. Don't nobody book their hotel this early for these things ennyway.
Tell us about the location you're trying to gain us a phenomenal rate for. Also, see how flexible it is for folks being there various days. Some might be able to make it for only the weekend, some will be there longer. Some might arrive before the festivities and some stay a few days longer.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 18 Sep 2007, 00:59

Velvis wrote:
Sambient wrote:Come on. You know you wanna.

I hope that before we go, Google adds New Orleans to the list of cities that you can virtually drive through. It's be helpful to get a little topographic/directional familiarity before we go.

Driving in New Orleans sucks and extensive motoring is not recommended unless you know where you're going. It is particularly maddening because the streets follow the bend in the river. Maddening, that is, if you enjoy maintaining a sense of direction. On the upside, there's no law whatsoever on the roads, do it's more of a care free event than it might be in other places. More later. In the meantime, start looking at street maps!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

kath

Postby kath » 22 Sep 2007, 01:48

damn, folks. sorry. it fell through...

jussssssssssssst kidding. mwhahaHA.

ok, here's the deal: i can get ye a discount at the crowne plaza hotel in the quarter.

time for **~~kath's brief yet incoherent geography lesson~~**

imagine yer computer screen is a square, the french quarter. yer keyboard is uptown, which is actually south of the quarter.

the bottom (south) line of yer square is canal street. the left (west) side is north rampart. the top (north) is esplanade ave... and the right (east) is decatur (and the river parallel just beyond that.) the quarter.

still with me? suuuuure you are.

bourbon street runs north to south and bisects yer square dead center.

most of the major chain hotels are in the bottom right of yer screen, on canal, between bourbon and the river. the crowne plaza is right at bourbon and canal... you really couldn't ask for a better location. trust me.

it's a 4-star hotel. i think single rooms run circa $150.00 a night. my sweet, kind friend will give them to you through me for $65 a night. i dunno if that qualifies as "phenomenal", sambient, but i don't think anybody's gonna find better, unless yer willing to sell yerself on the side.

there is one catch: i think the place charges fifteen bucks per night just for parking. hopefully, some of y'all who will be renting cars can carpool or something.

what i *will* need to do is somehow gather up the names of the folk interested in this. um, not too sure how to do this. all suggestions appreciated, hee hee. it's getting late in the evening, which means i really need to commence with the whole drinking-and-cheating-at-cards thing.

kath
oh, and i've got to get up early and decorate the premises for a party. tomorrow beelzebubba, the girl who lived, turns 17. so happy bday, elizabeth erin. (does anybody know where i can find a chasity belt for cheap?)

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 22 Sep 2007, 01:57

kath, you're too much!

Baron, the way you describe it really sounds better than I think you mean for it to. I have a LOUSY sense of direction. sounds like my kind of place.

can you believe that San Francisco is the nicest place I've ever been? I really need to do some travelling one of these days.

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”