JUotA 2008: New Orleans May 23-26

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Re: JUotA 2008: New Orleans May 23-26

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 29 May 2008, 02:11

I stalled out on this stuff and better wrap it up before I forget altogether. My memory really is pitiful. Sunday was probably the best day for me.

SUNDAY
I woke up a little later, a little more hungover, but nothing catastrophic. I called T-Berry about, I don't know, 10:30, and he was sitting down to eat breakfast. I figured that I would do something like that myself and then meet up with him somewhere along the way. I descended upon Royal St. and went a few blocks toward Esplanade before busting down to Decatur and prowling up a few blocks. It was nice and peaceful, but when I got to Decatur, it was obvious that everyone was out. It was bumpin big time. I wandered around and got some street food (hot dog and Sprite, hangover breakfast of champions!) -- it would've had to have been much earlier in the morning for me to fool with a sit down breakfast joint. So I walked through the throngs and passed up where T-Berry said he was having breakfast. I thought I would call him and as it turns out he was still in there and it had taken a hell of a long time for that dude to get breakfast. I don't remember exactly what we did, but mainly probably just wander around. We ended up walking around on Esplanade, and out of the Quarter to Frenchman St. which, like Magazine, seemed to be a locus of bohemian redevelopment. I had almost stayed over there, but I figured being at the opposite of the long side of the Quarter from everyone else wouldn't be all that ideal. Esplanade was a real treat, I was really knocked out by that street, and though I had no recollection of ever being there, we walked past a bar that I've walked out of into the morning light after a long night of drinking more than once. Take5 got us on the phone and reminded us of the boat ride everyone was taking. We went up from Esplanade and Decatur and walked down Bourbon while solidifying plans fir the voyage on the Natchez.

After scoring tickets for the trip, we loitered in Jackson Square for 20 minutes or so and admired the local scenery before catching the line for the Natchez where the BCB troops gathered to be serenaded by a stunning Calliope performance that started off with the Marine Corps Hymn, a tribute to T-Berry, and which descended into a flurry of off-key notes. We snagged a pretty good spot on the Natchez. Some scored drinks, others took odds on Toomanyhatz's ability to follow directions (doubters were victorious). Foolishly, I waited to get a drink. Livet's report on the Bloody Mary was good, so I got one for myself and a margarita for T-Berry (perhaps the lamest margarita of all time). Cosmic Girl's pina colada looked very fetching, indeed, and I was tempted to get one, but I needed a little more in the way of Breakfast. The Bloody Mary was plenty spicy and filled the bill. The "cruise" wasn't particularly long -- though it lasted two hours, we really didn't go very far, but I thought it was interesting to see the city and the immediate country from the river (cue CCR -- not tackled by the Calliope Queen). It was a brief, though graphic reminder that city and country are not opposites, but landscapes linked to and shaped by one another. Whenever I am in a city where there is obvious, great wealth, I am always dumbfounded by where it all comes from. New Orleansis especially like that, seeing all the grand homes in and out of the Quarter, you just gotta wonder. Where the hell does all this dough come from? Of course, New Orleans is a significant port city and a historical base of the Federal Government in the South. On the river, you see a few docks and some very large seafaring ships, so that's a good reminder of what drives the city's economy. Apart from all that, it was nice just to chill out and hang with everybody. I had envisioned it being a more social occasion, but there was a lot of narration (most of it welcome, I suppose) and it was nice just to get off of our feet for awhile.

Upon departure, we made tentative plans for the evening. I don't know exactly what happened next, but T-Berry and I headed for Coops, on Decatur, a eatin' joint that had been recommended by Nolamike (one of many spot-on recommendations distributed to the early arriving Brits). We both settled for the sampler plate and got a little bit of everything, which was fantastic and included some crazy fried chicken that I would like about six pieces of right about now and some rabbit. The constant refrain of bartenders seemed to be that they were "out of mint" so when we saw mint juleps made with Makers Mark, we jumped on that. Not an entirely appropriate time or place, but we were starved for it. It was all top notch, and we figured it was the last time we would eat before the night's doings, so we ate big. We made our way to where the rest of the crew was and began the pre-party in Livet's room. Pictures were taken, goodbyes to the early departers were said, Nolamike showed up, and most went on the ghost tour. I'm personally terrified of that kind of shit and assume it's all around me all the time (The Sixth Sense provided a startling realization of all the assumptions I lived with as a child) so we busted out in Nolamike's party van (Take5, me, T-Berry, and Nola) chasing a party spot and some of the more inaccessible parts of town.

This was a personal highlight of the trip and I regret not grabbing more people. First, a word about Nolamike. Easily one of the nicest, coolest, most unassuming guys I've met on these boards or anywhere else. And a brother in the law (the hotel scene featured about half of the BCB Bar) to boot. He's from Texas (though in denial), about my age, and has strikingly similar history and taste in music. Don't hold it against him. So we piled into his jeep on a strange trip out to Ernie K-Doe's Mother In Law Lounge, run by the late K-Doe's wife, Ms. Antoinette. It was quite a scene. When we got into the vicinity, the noise and mayhem coming from the streets was totally insane. Everyone was in their yards and under the highway with conga drums, tambourines, honking horns, blaring stereos, and burning rubber. To say nothing of the Mardi Gras Indians strolling in the underpass. Quite a sight. Mike parked his party bus and we all got out, looking and walking like fucking aliens just landed on earth. Walking over to the Lounge, it looked closed, but the intrepid Mike went around the corner (a cop had told us they were hanging out in a side-yard) and greeted Ms. Antoinette and her retinue. Yes, they were closed, but thanks for coming by! The lounge itself is a trip, with various murals of Ernie K-Doe and a tribute to Nawgahide. Undeterred, we barreled down to the Saturn Lounge. That bastard was closed too, so we busted in to a little shop and grabbed beers for everyone before cruising off to the near lower Ninth Ward and Fats Domino's house. I offered my theory re: the causal connection between strict DWI laws/changing mores and the decline of rock 'n' roll qua rock 'n' roll. I was humored. Fats Domino's neighborhood suffered pretty bad flooding and it was dusk, but you could tell that after we crossed a canal, there was almost no traffic and Fats's neighborhood had a lot of vancant lots that were presumably once houses. I fucking love Fats Domino, so to peep his yellow house with the big F D on it was a weird thrill. We busted back and parked in the Marigny and walked to Mollys on Decatur where we chit-chatted, covering some familiar territory before the rest of the group (and Pete The Pick!) showed up. I liked Molly's as a bar quite a bit - just a regular place, but right in a lot of details. Just as I returned with a High Life for Nolamike, he was gone. After more drinks and shit talkin, we decided to try to go down to the Clover Grill for late night food, but it was packed (not difficult, it's a tiny place) so everyone decided to head back to Coops (next door to Molly's) for food. I departed from the group at my intersection, told everybody later for ya, and everyone disappeared up St. Philip while I went up to my bed to get ready for flying out the next morning. It was barely 12:00, quite prudent, but a shame I didn't have another full day to hang out.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 29 May 2008, 19:52

Fantastic report Mike. I almost feel like I was there. You know I would I would have been on theat party bus with NolaMike...Maybe next year...
You don't like me...do you?

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 29 May 2008, 20:04

I got asked more than once from fellow jolly uppers where next year's will go down. I said what I usually do. Let's start arguing about that at the end of Summer.
Wherever it is, I'm looking forward to it.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 30 May 2008, 03:27

Il Baron wrote:Just as I returned with a High Life for Nolamike, he was gone.

I am much like a delicate orchid, or 17-year cicada. That, and I knew a perfect spot to run away with all of your JU cds.
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 30 May 2008, 14:57

Great tales of Jollydom, Baron. Sounds like a blast, and I wish I could've been there.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 02 Jun 2008, 10:56

My thank you letter to my fellow jolliers.
Baron - You're a riot. I know you're a funny guy, but to be in your presence when you're riffing leaves me willing to shut the fuck up and listen. The Baron/T.Berry Show is a marvelous thing to behold.
You mentioned a possibility of hitting Philly this summer. Hope you have time for us to connect, even if merely for a cheesesteak at Pat's (I'll defer to your preference), though if we could take in a Camden Riversharks game, I'd be delighted.
Corporate Whore - Intensely glad you could make it this year as well. You're easy company. You can be relied upon to find the tastier of local brew offerings. Nice of you to put yourself out there. With your most impressive camera equipment, you can be counted upon to capture some fantastic jolly up photos.
Cosmic American Girl - I think you define the term "good sport". Willing to walk about though in uncomfortable (albeit cute) shoes, you're a better woman than I am. Great to see you again. I'm sorry I couldn't handle hanging longer at Lafites to hear your jukebox choices, but I was about to crash and burn.
The Fish - I'll admit it. Paul's the reason I'm doing this thank you thing. Thank you for picking the hotel. I appreciate that for the second year in a row, even though I know you like to just rest up when you first get into town for a JUotA, you were found in the lobby and willing to join us immediately. Either that or you were too tired to get the words "fuck off, the lot of you" out. The greasy floor skating performance in Mother's was memorable.
You impress me with your ability to get up early enough in the morning, no matter how much fun you were having the night before. Glad to have you as one of the five enduring JUotA attendees. Thank you for making the trip.
Livet - Ah, I could never say enough. Thanks for finding that particular swamp tour. You've now managed to make boats something of a jolly up thing. There is so much I admire about you. I appreciate your quiet leadership skills. I guess this is why you wound up being everyone's go-to contact. And you know I dug that when you were whispering directions to the free walking tour to me on the phone, you knew that when you used Urban Outfitters as a point of reference I'd know where to go.
Nolamike Aw, well, didn't get to really interact much, other than pushing my sorrowful jolly up comp into your hands. I hope the rest of your evening gave you a little taste for jolly ups and that you'll find a way to join us again sometime.
Pete the Pick Glad to have you return to the JUotA party. I'm impressed that though tired you joined us on arrival for our journey to the Upperline. I'm more impressed that you managed to consume what I could only describe as appearing on your plate to be a meat hammer. I hope Lady V wasn't too put off by us.
T. Berry Shuffle - Yay! Jamie made it. Especially of value to me as you were one of the ones who voted for what was the '07 JUotA location and then didn't show. I know it was nearly a last minute thing for you to be able to make this trip but damn it's good to have you along. Thank you for channelling yomp when the situation called for it. Seemed to call for it frequently.
Take 5 - Surprise guest! Good to hear your Lou Reed impression again, and get acquainted with your brilliant Bob Dylan patter. Your fascination with things is something that is great to share. I couldn't imagine one of these jollies without you. Don't be a stranger.
Toomanyhatz - Though having recently gotten together for a Phillies game in my neck of the woods, it's fun to hang with you and Caroline again. How much of the time do you wind up having to defend an artist you like when in this company? Or do you just get so heavily associated with Phil Ochs and the like? I like that whenever there was mention of the five JUotA alumni, you insisted that had you not just joined the boards at the time, you would have been in Memphis too. Good to see you so committed to our cause.
Toomanypillowz - Thanks for helping record our festivities to photo. Yeah, that one is one of my favorites of the weekend too. And with your lovely dresses, you seemed to handle the heat better than a fair amount of us, and with style. Glad the jolly ups have turned you into a poster. You'll participate in the voting of next years location when we start arguing about that, I hope?
Velvis - Great to have you back amongst us after missing last year's. Don't do that again, okay? Thank you for coming up with the Upperline trip Wednesday night, and an excuse to ride the trolley into the Garden District by night. Thank you for your willingness to explore the offerings of Louisiana Music Factory, twice. Thank you for finding the best muffalettas in town. I've now developed a taste for them that will only be answered by me returning to New Orleans. And I agree with you, the begniets from that other place were better. Doughier, warmer, heartier, it was more like sin in one's mouth. The sort of thing you know isn't good for you but cannot resist, so you just give in to the joyousness. I am still talking about the food. Really.
Witchypoo - My new found sister! She with more ink than me! You share a willingness to get heated up over John Barrowman even though he plays for the other team. You thrilled to see lizzards in the courtyard by the pool, we hit it off so easily. I'm glad to have finally gotten to meet you and must hang out with you again. Thank you for looking so sad when it was time for us to say goodbye to each other. You are sweetheart defined.

And to the city of New Orleans - I always knew you were made to be a superb jolly up location. Though I still hardly got to explore as much as I would have, it was great getting to know you. I look forward to seeing you again. How did I not manage to get myself a fleur de lis piece of jewelry after all? Oh well, guess I'll just have to come back.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 02 Jun 2008, 17:16

And Sambient!

Who forgot to put Dart between her lovely honkers this year! :evil:
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 02 Jun 2008, 20:49

Doncha know, it's 'cause I don't have lovely honkers this year.

toomanypillowz
Location: The Historic Wilshire Vista District in Los Angeles

Postby toomanypillowz » 02 Jun 2008, 21:16

[quote="Sambient"]Toomanypillowz - Thanks for helping record our festivities to photo. Yeah, that one is one of my favorites of the weekend too. And with your lovely dresses, you seemed to handle the heat better than a fair amount of us, and with style. Glad the jolly ups have turned you into a poster. You'll participate in the voting of next years location when we start arguing about that, I hope?

Hey Sam! Thanks for the kind words; , why, I admired your lovely summer dresses as well. :) I love New Orleans and had a fabulous time. I'm afraid I won't be able to post all that much, as my day job is kind of insane (for example, right now, I'm at lunch & nibbling on a salad while typing this), but I look forward to chiming in with musical opinions and quips from time to time. I'll definitely put in my two cents about next year's location (Austin! Austin!).
Lance Matthew wrote:Oh, I've always inspired extreme reactions. I can reduce normal people to screaming harpies in minutes.

toomanyhatz wrote: Fuck you with a Craftsman rotary drill.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 02 Jun 2008, 21:38

Toomanypillowz wrote:next year's location (Austin! Austin!).

Iqaluit! Iqaluit!

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 02 Jun 2008, 21:47

Harvey K-Tel wrote:

Iqaluit! Iqaluit!

I'm not sure how many people would be Inuit.

(Sorry, couldn't resist. Actually, a Canadian location's a good idea. Toronto? Vancouver? Victoria? Montreal? One of these years....)
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 02 Jun 2008, 22:19

toomanyhatz, doncha know! wrote:
Harvey K-Tel wrote:

Iqaluit! Iqaluit!

I'm not sure how many people would be Inuit.

(Sorry, couldn't resist. Actually, a Canadian location's a good idea. Toronto? Vancouver? Victoria? Montreal? One of these years....)

I'm glad you think so. Nobody else does. :cry:

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 03 Jun 2008, 10:58

I wouldn't mind Canada, BUT its unlikely we can make next year as we are planning 3 weeks in New Zealand. Canada for 2010!

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 05 Jun 2008, 02:21

Sambient wrote:
And to the city of New Orleans - I always knew you were made to be a superb jolly up location. Though I still hardly got to explore as much as I would have, it was great getting to know you. I look forward to seeing you again. How did I not manage to get myself a fleur de lis piece of jewelry after all? Oh well, guess I'll just have to come back.

Please do, as I'd love to give folks an extensive list of where to eat. Some folks picked a few good spots - Herbsaint (though Link's other restaurant, Cochon, is even better, and is more traditional LA food), Upperline, and Coop's - but I'll give ya a list to fatten you up for Christmas.

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 05 Jun 2008, 03:12

Some of us ate at Upperline on Wednesday night. I don't think there are any photos, though.
a gibbon running freely

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 05 Jun 2008, 04:14

My camera wouldn't fit in my evening bag.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 07 Jun 2008, 01:58

Sambient wrote:My camera wouldn't fit in my evening bag.

You'd never make a good smuggler...

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 18 Jul 2018, 03:56

I've been playing my New Orleans JU cd lately and it's not that great, really. Too long and too many draggy numbers. :x
I mean, it's all great stuff, but not my greatest JU cd by any measure.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”