The Jazz Workshop

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Re: The Jazz Workshop

Postby Snarfyguy » 07 Apr 2011, 00:18

Six String wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:
Six String wrote:Do we need to got to create a pt.2 thread ala What Are You Playing Now?

This makes 1600 posts. Well done, all. :)

Can we get a moderator to put this one somewhere it won't get purged? There are a lot of recommendations on this one and I'd like to have it preserved for future perusal.

Is it better to split it up or is it ok to just keep it going so it doesn't get lost, even accidently?

I don't know. When threads start to get too big, they hamper the functionality of the site. I'm not sure whether the 80 page cut-off has to do with size restrictions or if it's just a tradition.

In any case, I don't think it's likely that this thread will get expunged, even accidentally, if a mod sticks it in the "Archive" section, or whatever it's called. I'll see if I can get Prof or someone to advise.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 07 Apr 2011, 08:53

I can put it in classic threads if you like. I think threads there are set not to drop off the edge of bcd when they get pushed off the last page.
Will do it tomorrow if there's no objections

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 07 Apr 2011, 12:25

So does the thread start again? I'm with Snarfy in that there are a bunch of things in here that are worth revisiting.
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 07 Apr 2011, 14:55

I love this thread. It's been my favourite thread ever since i first mosied into BCB about a year ago, and it's still my favourite thread today, thanks to the intelligence and thoughtfulness of Six, Balboa, Spec, Hook, T Willy, The Count, LMG, Kenji, Snarf, Nolamike and everyone else who stops in and shares their jazz thoughts. We may not swear or ridicule each other's tastes as much as some other threads, but i've learned to deal with that.

I've always wanted to go back and read it from the very start but never got around to it. Gonna do that this weekend, just in case the worst happens.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Six String

Postby Six String » 07 Apr 2011, 15:48

I'm going to start a pt.2 now so that the Professor can move this one when he's ready.

See you on the other side!
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 07 Jun 2013, 08:28

I remembered something in this thread about Gary Burton, so just went back to re-read it, and then spent 25 minutes going back through another 15 pages.

Great that this is still here - one of the very best threads on BCB!
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Harris

Postby Harris » 30 Mar 2016, 12:40

Hi everyone. first page in this thread sent me to George Russell Jazz from Outer Space on youtube, thanks for this. Living Time was a bit too, er, rigorous for me, but it's great to hear Bill Evans at his spikiest, stretch the brain a bit.

Prefer Bill in lyrical mode. Bill Evans B minor waltz (for Ellaine) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO5dSvdk

Saw Dave Douglas at the Knitting Factory early 90s, Klezmer fusion, very enjoyable live but not really for me otherwise, although infinitely preferable to John Zorn's Kristallnacht. I once managed to escape after its initial onslaught, although this was expressly forbidden on the back of the tickets. Not a good sign when you're told, in advance, that the audience is not allowed to leave or that, compared to the broken glass and the extremely abrasive music, the rantings of Adolf Hitler were the easiest sounds to process.

Re Harold Mcnair (few pages back) never tired of this, Go Away Come Back Another Day. John Cameron, Danny Thompson Terry Cox, Very passionate once it gets going. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8IbDhOrhA0

Six String

Postby Six String » 03 Apr 2016, 07:06

Danny Thompson and Terry Cox is always a good start. Welcome.

I've been listening to some Gato Barbieri lps tonight. I think my favorite that I own might be Under Fire On Flying Dutchman. Lots of first call musicians and a balance between Gato's scortched earth policy and some lovely ballads.
There's another he did as a duo with Dollar Brand on (Arista/Freedom) that is mellower than he usually does though it's far from boring unless that is the only gear you run in and then there might be problems.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 08 Apr 2016, 23:22

NP Yusef Latif - The Golden Flute (Impulse) stereo, black & orange pressing.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”