CHICAGO - MAY 25th WEEKEND - 2007: JUotA

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 01 Jun 2007, 01:12

Baron wrote:
Velvis wrote:Further, we now have a local, Kath, who can show us around.

Nolamike is a local. And loveless has some claim.

i was asking someone about nolamike in PM... is he still around here? he's a cool guy. is loveless from new orleans?

just for the record, i and my ass don't *hafta* be the designated tour guide if others prefer others or if others wanna take the job. there are some drawbacks to having kath as guide~~no one else will get a word in edge-wise, most notably. and i am notoriously prone to distraction, side-trips leading to side trips, and whatnot. i tend to make mincemeat of the best laid schematic itineraries, as in my head, point A leads not-so-directly to points F, Z, and pi.

i just want BCBers to have a blast in a city built for that merry beast known as the jolly up. :D

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 01 Jun 2007, 01:17

kath wrote:
Baron wrote:
Velvis wrote:Further, we now have a local, Kath, who can show us around.

Nolamike is a local. And loveless has some claim.

i was asking someone about nolamike in PM... is he still around here?

He comes and goes.

is loveless from new orleans?

So I've been told.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 01 Jun 2007, 01:24

kath wrote:
Velvis wrote:
kath wrote:... the flea market...

Sam? Stop salivating.

well, technically, i should call it the french market. translation: a long strip of outdoor area running parallel with the river, full of tons of tables covered with tons of crap.

whimper!

kath

Postby kath » 01 Jun 2007, 01:26

Baron wrote:
kath wrote:
goldwax wrote:
kath wrote: i think it is the most unique city in all of america... and one of the most unique cities in the world.

:roll:

why the rolling eyes? you beg to differ, i see.

but that's ok. maybe i will get the chance to prove you wrong, and maybe i won't. either way, you will still be wrong. :D

I don't think he likes the term "most unique."

ah. well, lemme qualify myself, then. new orleans is the most unique city i have ever been to in america, and i have been to many and lived in many all over the country, with the exception of the west coast.

it has a partial feel of a very old port city, with all of the ethnic and historical mix you get with that, but add to the blend a very strange combination of french spanish and african, of warped catholicism with old world magic and superstition, of people surprisingly open and warm like much of the south, but with a clear penchant for hedonism and music and all things anti-fundamental or markedly un-biblebeltish... then add a gallon of cayenne-laced absinthe and bake at 120 degrees for a few hundred years.

of course, the above is just my personal view, and is therefore not representative of this station or its management.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 01 Jun 2007, 01:33

"Most unique" is nonsense. Whether you're talking about New Orleans or not.

Read Hatz's post up aways.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

kath

Postby kath » 01 Jun 2007, 01:35

toomanyhatz wrote:Pedantic, I know, but I think his point was that the definition of "unique" is that there's only one- therefore something can't be "most" unique- it's either unique or it isn't.

yer kidding me, right? what bullcrap. i was sitting here about to explain how uniqueness is indeed a relative concept, when i realized i'd rather make a cheesecake.

on second thought, i think i'll let someone else handle the tour for the pedantic types. i'll take everybody else on the fucque-the-map-where's-the-cheesecake tour.

yum.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 01 Jun 2007, 01:43

kath wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:Pedantic, I know, but I think his point was that the definition of "unique" is that there's only one- therefore something can't be "most" unique- it's either unique or it isn't.

yer kidding me, right? what bullcrap. i was sitting here about to explain how uniqueness is indeed a relative concept, when i realized i'd rather make a cheesecake.

I blame Goldwax.
No way I'd ever be so neurotic and petty.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 01 Jun 2007, 01:56

Baron wrote:
kath wrote:

I blame Goldwax.
No way I'd ever be so neurotic and petty.

Although he's right. And it's always been a pet peeve of mine. Uniqueness is technically not a relative concept, though it's often used that way.

But I have many things I'd rather be neurotic and petty about, personally.

And I'd like a slice of that cheesecake when you're done, too. :wink:
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 01 Jun 2007, 08:18

The meanings of words adapt and develop all the time as they have to. "most unique" might sound like a tautology but it isn't. If all the cities are similar but there's one which is quite different to the rest then of course it can be described as "most unique".
To argue otherwise is to misunderstand the way language works. So there!

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 01 Jun 2007, 11:16

Velvis wrote: (I can't refuse her)

Sure, now he says that. :twisted:

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 01 Jun 2007, 11:22

Sambient wrote:
Velvis wrote: (I can't refuse her)

Sure, now he says that. :twisted:

I learned my lesson.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 01 Jun 2007, 11:31

Corporate Whore wrote:
Baron wrote:
The Fish wrote:I wasted the majority of the day trying to get to Reckless Records in Wicker Park.

Did you go to the one in the vicinity of the hotels? I think it was on Broadway.

D'oh - thats the one I was at.

I should point out that I did in fact succeed (eventually) and dollars did indeed pass hands, 148 of them to be exact.

The plan was, being in Wicker Park, I might find a phone I could use with a credit card to get hold of Griff and Kid. No such luck and they weren't even staying in Wicker Park :roll:

Oh well, back home now. Great time (as expected). Good to meet the new faces. A word of advice - If you're going to diss Gram Parsons in Cosmic American Girl's company, make sure you're out of range. I distinctly remember the phrase "One more shot of whiskey and I'll take all of you fuckers on" mentioned. Baron (in one of those "guess you had to be there" moments) is responsible for my current sig. Maybe Amy Winehouse could record that - Tried to make me go past rhubarb, I said No No No.
We're way past rhubarb

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 01 Jun 2007, 18:47

sidhe wrote:makes me want to venture over the big lake and do the big one sometime.

The big one reacting to the news yesterday....

We're way past rhubarb

Megh
tamagotchi girlfriend

Postby Megh » 01 Jun 2007, 19:05

So I can stay with you?

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 01 Jun 2007, 19:10

sidhe wrote:So I can stay with you?

Oo, you minx :D
We're way past rhubarb

Megh
tamagotchi girlfriend

Postby Megh » 01 Jun 2007, 19:24

That's a yes?

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 01 Jun 2007, 19:32

Somebody is going to post the "get a room" response soon, but I guess that's what you are trying to do :lol:

I don't actually live in London but close enough

[can of worms]So when are you coming[/can of worms]
We're way past rhubarb

Megh
tamagotchi girlfriend

Postby Megh » 01 Jun 2007, 19:35

The Fish wrote:Somebody is going to post the "get a room" response soon, but I guess that's what you are trying to do :lol:

I don't actually live in London but close enough

[can of worms]So when are you coming[/can of worms]

Well, I don't know -- I suppose for one of the big London ones at some point.

Jock

Postby Jock » 01 Jun 2007, 20:27

The Fish wrote:
sidhe wrote:So I can stay with you?

Oo, you minx :D

I thought I was to stay with you for a London JU :lol:
Always Cheated Never Defeated

moonie

Postby moonie » 02 Jun 2007, 20:28

The Very Reverend Giraffe wrote:kid p has finally just fucked off home after nine days in my company. i declare this jolly up officially over.

I'm glad that everyone made it home okay. I had a wonderful time meeting you and Kid, and all the new folks, and catching up with everyone else...

I'm saving for next year!

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”