CHICAGO - MAY 25th WEEKEND - 2007: JUotA

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Six String

Postby Six String » 31 May 2007, 00:15

Thesiger wrote:
Phenomenal Cat wrote:
T. Berry Shuffle wrote:... besides The Baron revealing the legend of Ralph Fahey,

The Baron regaled us with tales about Lyle George and Little Feat this time around.

Whatever happened to old Lyle?

He dyed.... :(
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 31 May 2007, 06:12

By the way, here's the track list of my comp, for all one of you that'll care. :roll:

1) Everything Is Free - Gillian Welch
2) Portmarnock Beach Boy Blue - The Guggenheim Grotto
3) European Son (acetate- different take) - Velvet Underground
4) Entering Marion - John Forster
5) Hell No, I Ain't Gonna Go - Matt Jones and Elaine Laron
6) Le Forze d'Hercole - Philip Pickett & Richard Thompson
7) Take Time - The Books
8) I Wanna Destroy You - Soft Boys
9) Yabba-Dabba-Doo! - Hoagy Carmichael from The Flintstones - Modern Stone-Age Melodies: Original Songs From The Classic TV Show
10) Blue Alert - Anjani
11) The Hardest Button To Button - The White Stripes
12) Reels: Bonnie Ann/ John Kellys/The Boy In The Boat - Téada
13) Dynamite! - Sly & The Family Stone
14) Fast Lane -Urban Dance Squad
15) Sir Charles Coote/Smiths - Dave Swarbrick
16) How Can You Live In The Northeast? - Paul Simon
17) Show You How - Lindsey Buckingham
18) Home By Bearna - Christy Moore
19) Split Needles - The Shins
20) Lullaby - Judy Henske/Jerry Yester
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Jumper k

Postby Jumper k » 31 May 2007, 07:52

toomanyhatz wrote:By the way, here's the track list of my comp, for all one of you that'll care. :roll:

1) Everything Is Free - Gillian Welch
2) Portmarnock Beach Boy Blue - The Guggenheim Grotto
3) European Son (acetate- different take) - Velvet Underground
4) Entering Marion - John Forster
5) Hell No, I Ain't Gonna Go - Matt Jones and Elaine Laron
6) Le Forze d'Hercole - Philip Pickett & Richard Thompson
7) Take Time - The Books
8) I Wanna Destroy You - Soft Boys
9) Yabba-Dabba-Doo! - Hoagy Carmichael from The Flintstones - Modern Stone-Age Melodies: Original Songs From The Classic TV Show
10) Blue Alert - Anjani
11) The Hardest Button To Button - The White Stripes
12) Reels: Bonnie Ann/ John Kellys/The Boy In The Boat - Téada
13) Dynamite! - Sly & The Family Stone
14) Fast Lane -Urban Dance Squad
15) Sir Charles Coote/Smiths - Dave Swarbrick
16) How Can You Live In The Northeast? - Paul Simon
17) Show You How - Lindsey Buckingham
18) Home By Bearna - Christy Moore
19) Split Needles - The Shins
20) Lullaby - Judy Henske/Jerry Yester

Jeebus! I'm kinda glad I didn't make it over now.

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 31 May 2007, 11:50

toomanyhatz wrote:9) Yabba-Dabba-Doo! - Hoagy Carmichael from The Flintstones - Modern Stone-Age Melodies: Original Songs From The Classic TV Show

:D

Megh
tamagotchi girlfriend

Postby Megh » 31 May 2007, 16:10

The Very Reverend Giraffe wrote:
Harvey K-Tel wrote:
The Very Reverend Giraffe wrote:yikes, don't have much time. suffice to say that both kid p and i had a great time with everyone. obviously, we both feel like death right now but are heading out for a breakfast and a gallon of coffee before heading into the loop to do some sightseeing.

Don't bother. It's fucking BORING.

well, it sort of was except that brits can do that "jesus, that's a fucking big building!" thing. and we grabbed a nice omlette while we were there before heading off to millennium park and grant park. it was worth it.

We never made it to Millennium Park. Next time.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 31 May 2007, 16:23

sidhe wrote:
Harvey K-Tel wrote:
The Very Reverend Giraffe wrote:yikes, don't have much time. suffice to say that both kid p and i had a great time with everyone. obviously, we both feel like death right now but are heading out for a breakfast and a gallon of coffee before heading into the loop to do some sightseeing.

Don't bother. It's fucking BORING.

well, it sort of was except that brits can do that "jesus, that's a fucking big building!" thing. and we grabbed a nice omlette while we were there before heading off to millennium park and grant park. it was worth it.

We never made it to Millennium Park. Next time.

It's very cool. The Cloud Gate and the water sculpture thingy are pretty great. Gehry's bandstand is alright, and there's quite a nice flower garden hidden away behind a tall wall of shrubberies. The lounge on the 95th floor of the John Hancock tower is pretty impressive, too, and not just because of the astronomical drink prices.

Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

nathan
submitted for your approval

Postby nathan » 31 May 2007, 16:32

I think Chicago is pretty neat.

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 31 May 2007, 17:28

nathan wrote:I think Chicago is pretty neat.

me too. i'm coming back!

So am I!

But not at the same time as you, you big fairy.

Cosmic American Girl

Postby Cosmic American Girl » 31 May 2007, 17:55

Me three! But only with you guys :lol:

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 31 May 2007, 20:33

I'm hoping New Orleans will be the destination next year. We've bandied it about for three years, and I know it's Sambient's heart's desire to go there (I can't refuse her). Further, we now have a local, Kath, who can show us around.

I'm resolved to go next year, come hell or high water. (Ouch!)

Megh
tamagotchi girlfriend

Postby Megh » 31 May 2007, 20:38

Velvis wrote:I'm hoping New Orleans will be the destination next year. We've bandied it about for three years, and I know it's Sambient's heart's desire to go there (I can't refuse her). Further, we now have a local, Kath, who can show us around.

Yes, seems it's all but been settled on. I've never been and can't think of any better people to experience it with my first time. (OMG -- do I sound sappy or what?)

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 31 May 2007, 20:42

sidhe wrote:
Velvis wrote:I'm hoping New Orleans will be the destination next year. We've bandied it about for three years, and I know it's Sambient's heart's desire to go there (I can't refuse her). Further, we now have a local, Kath, who can show us around.

Yes, seems it's all but been settled on. I've never been and can't think of any better people to experience it with my first time. (OMG -- do I sound sappy or what?)

Wait'll ya meet the Eelpies, Shagger Dave, Yomp...and me!

And I hope Dunc and Hots can make it.

Megh
tamagotchi girlfriend

Postby Megh » 31 May 2007, 20:55

Velvis wrote:
sidhe wrote:

Wait'll ya meet the Eelpies, Shagger Dave, Yomp...and me!

And I hope Dunc and Hots can make it.

Will be a pleasure, I'm sure.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 01 Jun 2007, 00:03

you are a naughty boy, and you are cruisin for a bruisin, in the form of more high water than you can drink. winkwink.

of course, i am hoping new orleans will be the spot, too. i really can't do justice to how wunnerful the city is, not in a post, probably not in twelve.

i think it is the most unique city in all of america... and one of the most unique cities in the world. (i say this without one whit of bias. ahem.)

even if you went *just* for the food, it would be worth it. good food is nigh high to a religion there, but it's just the tip of the crawfish claw.

whatever you are into, you'll find it there. it should go without saying, but music galore. architecture to die for... galleries... the audubon zoo and aquarium... the garden district, with those ole oaks framing a canopy over st. charles avenue and my fave strip of the streetcar line... bars out the wazoo... restaurants for all tastes, from street to limo... theaters... shopping places... the flea market... one of a kind tours (the graveyard tours rank high with my gothic patiney)... bizarre, lil out-of-the-way weirdnesses (the hoodoo museum, for example)... the oldest cathedral in the united states, cluttered with artists by day and tarot readers by night... street musicians, entertainers, acrobats, horn players, and rip-off artists (ya gimme five bucks if i tell ya where ya got yer shoes, man)... breakfast grills... sunday jazz brunches... café du monde and lapfuls of beignets swimming in powdered sugar... horse carriage tours and tennessee williams walking tours... pat o's in the quarter, with the only REAL hurricanes and flyin purple people eaters worth drinking in the entire town, whilst sitting outside in wrought iron chairs on ole-style patios lush with greenery...

that's just a fraction of the cool crap in that city. naturally, the main attraction will be that y'all will finally get to see just how ample my ass is, an occasion not to be underestimated in this lifetime. (pack the wide angle lenses.)

however, i promise i won't take it personally if you all decide to go to altoona instead.

kath
c/o new orleans chamber of fucquin commerce

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 01 Jun 2007, 00:05

kath wrote:... the flea market...

Sam? Stop salivating.

kath

Postby kath » 01 Jun 2007, 00:38

Velvis wrote:
kath wrote:... the flea market...

Sam? Stop salivating.

well, technically, i should call it the french market. translation: a long strip of outdoor area running parallel with the river, full of tons of tables covered with tons of crap.

a fave day-time activity of mine in the quarter is to hit café du monde first, and then to walk on down to the french market.

on second thought, i'll worry about geo-talk if we get to that point. :D

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 01 Jun 2007, 00:54

Velvis wrote:Further, we now have a local, Kath, who can show us around.

Nolamike is a local. And loveless has some claim.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

kath

Postby kath » 01 Jun 2007, 01:01

goldwax wrote:
kath wrote: i think it is the most unique city in all of america... and one of the most unique cities in the world.

:roll:

why the rolling eyes? you beg to differ, i see.

but that's ok. maybe i will get the chance to prove you wrong, and maybe i won't. either way, you will still be wrong. :D

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 01 Jun 2007, 01:09

kath wrote:
goldwax wrote:
kath wrote: i think it is the most unique city in all of america... and one of the most unique cities in the world.

but that's ok. maybe i will get the chance to prove you wrong, and maybe i won't. either way, you will still be wrong. :D

Pedantic, I know, but I think his point was that the definition of "unique" is that there's only one- therefore something can't be "most" unique- it's either unique or it isn't.

As to whether New Orleans is unique or not, having been there once a long time ago I'd have to agree that it is. (Very. :lol: )
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 01 Jun 2007, 01:09

kath wrote:
goldwax wrote:

I don't think he likes the term "most unique."
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”