I don't 'get' Bowie at all.

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 18 Sep 2005, 17:20

Jimmy Jazz wrote:
Baron wrote:
Jimmy Jazz wrote:
Baron wrote:
Jimmy Jazz wrote:There's nothing to "get" You like it or not.

Yes, and half are right while the other half are wrong. Such rampant, casual relativism must be stamped out at any cost!

Ok for a bit of stirring up then. You know what people actually mean when they say 'they don't get it' don't you ? They don't mean ; I am stupid, therefore I don't get it.

No, the people who don't get it are the ones who have not been fooled. However, in the presence of other people who are otherwise sane, those who haven't been fooled are being charitable to question whether or not they might be missing some angle.

Whereas they should be wondering if they are missing ears...

I see you, too, have had some Kool Aid.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 18 Sep 2005, 17:28

Jimmy Jazz wrote:Apparantly you don't get it. If one says about an artist of Bowie's calibre
that you 'don't get it' it is not really that what you're saying. I don't know the person who made this statement - so props if it wasn't meant that way,- but to me this sounds very snobbish.

I recommend reading the thread. Although -- admittedly -- my only contributions have been pithy bits of hilarity, such as this one, you'll find it to be very good anyway.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 18 Sep 2005, 17:29

And it doesn't really matter if I'm being snobbish, so long as I'm right, which you can count on.

Complete Utter Ninny Troll

Postby Complete Utter Ninny Troll » 11 Nov 2005, 14:59

What's to get? The guy is a fruit.
No Harm No Foul

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 11 Nov 2005, 18:14

Bowie's rather good, actually. I mean, I think people are either bullshitting when they say they don't like him, or they haven't heard enough.

There are some appalling moments, tho'. And I don't mean out-and-out crap like the 'Tonight' album - I'm talking about stuff off 'Hunky Dory', for example. But we've been there many times and I've been called worse names than soft Mick because of it.

No jo....

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 11 Nov 2005, 19:19

wade gustafson wrote:What's to get? The guy is a fruit.

You bumped this just to say that. Twat. :roll:

Complete Utter Ninny Troll

Postby Complete Utter Ninny Troll » 11 Nov 2005, 21:32

What the heck ya mean?
No Harm No Foul

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 11 Nov 2005, 21:45

The M wrote:
wade gustafson wrote:What's to get? The guy is a fruit.

You bumped this just to say that. Twat. :roll:

It was hilarious. And not wrong.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 11 Nov 2005, 22:00

Jimmy Jazz wrote:Then again if you use the word 'heck' you must find Bowie a fruit I guess.

You're right, the gag was perfect!

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 May 2006, 16:45

I just knew it was here somewhere:

bhoywonder wrote:In answer to your question, I've seen Bowie live and I've seen Moghwai live. Bowie isn't fit to switch on their amps.

:lol:

Smells like victory.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 28 May 2006, 17:01

:lol: :lol:

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 May 2006, 17:03

The Prof wrote::lol: :lol:

And it is exactly in context.

The whole post:

Diamonddog wrote:The crucial line you apear to have missed repeatedly is the one that states "within that timescale" - not the whole of the 20th century, is it? At no stage (as I have shown more than adequately) have I ever mentioned the phrase "third most important artist of the 20th century". Never, not once. It's actually you that's needs to read posts, not me, and then stop this dashed annoying habit of talking to people in the most possible patronising tone in response - when in fact it's you that's in the wrong.

Third rate? If you throw up a list as arbirary as you do, don't be too surprised when people take its lowest common denominator to use as an example - Mogwai? Do they really deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Bowie, let alone be elevated to even third rate? Thought not.

As for Zeppelin being what they are - well, for me they have made music as great as any band. For me. It's an opinion. Live with it. Whether that makes them important I don't know - nor, frankly, care. But there again, I never used that phrase in the first place, did I?

Hugs and kisses.

bhoywonder wrote:
But you keep shifting the goalposts! How can I keep up if yo=u change what something means every 3rd post?

In answer to your question, I've seen Bowie live and I've seen Moghwai live. Bowie isn't fit to switch on their amps. I would wager you have never heard mogwai, certainly not more than a passing glance, and are actually making a judgemment based on prejudice.

I can't wait to see who you put at number 4.
Cocaine

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Re:

Postby bhoywonder » 18 Nov 2008, 09:11

typical of you sad od cunts, if someone has a different opinion, all you do is laugh. You don't engage in debate or consider that some people look for more in an act than a few good records 35 years ago. Similarly, I still bet that DD has never seen Mogwai live so doesn't even know what it is he's disagreeing with.

I saw Bowie live and it was all a bit embarrassing. Even Bowie himself. Mogwai have always been amazing live. But Bowie was good when you were younger so therefore anyone who doesn't think he's very good now must be wrong.

Still, it's not a problem. You can enjoy your tin machine records and I'll play Happy Songs for Happy People. :D

Diamond Dog

Re: I don't 'get' Bowie at all.

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Nov 2008, 22:33

:lol:

Ha Ha

Wanker.
Cocaine

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 23 Nov 2008, 02:49

I saw Mogwai live and it was no better than their records, which wasn't exactly (at the time) something to be proud of!

The Great DeFector

Postby The Great DeFector » 23 Nov 2008, 04:46

He doesn't either since he turned in to a business man over being an musician

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Nov 2008, 19:17

GinSoakedBoy wrote:He doesn't either since he turned in to a business man over being an musician

Of course, everyone else does it for free. :roll:
Have you any idea how much money Bowie lost by being ripped off by his management company in his heyday? Did you know that, by the time he had reached the end of the 70s, he was (in essence) completely broke - this having sold multi millions of records? Do you condemn him for trying to get a grip on his business interests?

Or do you not really care and have just posted here to:
a) complete your worthy pursuit of the last post in each forum :roll: , and
b) be a contrary, ill informed, ignorant troll?
Cocaine

The Great DeFector

Postby The Great DeFector » 23 Nov 2008, 22:10

Diamond Dog wrote:
GinSoakedBoy wrote:He doesn't either since he turned in to a business man over being an musician

Of course, everyone else does it for free. :roll:
Have you any idea how much money Bowie lost by being ripped off by his management company in his heyday? Did you know that, by the time he had reached the end of the 70s, he was (in essence) completely broke - this having sold multi millions of records? Do you condemn him for trying to get a grip on his business interests?

Or do you not really care and have just posted here to:
a) complete your worthy pursuit of the last post in each forum :roll: , and
b) be a contrary, ill informed, ignorant troll?

don't you have some kids to scare around your neighbourhood or something? You know live up to the “scary man that lives down the street” persona you have.

Again with the needless insult, Maybe one day the moderators on here will call you up on it, I doubt it though. Still, not going to lose any sleep over it.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Nov 2008, 12:09

I'll take that as a "I know fuck all about Bowie & should keep my idiotic comments about him to myself" then.
Cocaine

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 07 Dec 2008, 23:06

Pint anyone?

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”