"John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band" - vote please!!

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.

"John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band" - vote for your favourite track, please!!

1. Mother
16%
2. Hold On
1%
3. I Found Out
5%
4. Working Class Hero
24%
5. Isolation
13%
6. Remember
6%
7. Love
9%
8. Well, Well, Well
5%
9. Look At Me
No votes
10. God
21%
11. My Mummy's Dead
1%

Total votes: 101

Postby Guest » 22 Sep 2004, 15:05

Diamonddog wrote:Could I just add that this thread should become a classic - so that anyone joining here could see the absolutely magnificent level of debate/discussion available on this site. As I have stated on numerous occasions, it's this type of writing that puts shyster publications like Mojo (recently) to shame.

But again, we really are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 22 Sep 2004, 15:16

nathan wrote:
Diamonddog wrote:Could I just add that this thread should become a classic - so that anyone joining here could see the absolutely magnificent level of debate/discussion available on this site. As I have stated on numerous occasions, it's this type of writing that puts shyster publications like Mojo (recently) to shame.

But again, we really are scraping the bottom of the barrel.
Why is it barrel scraping to discuss this album?
It is an album that divides opinion, which in itself makes for a more interesting than a conversation where everyone says how god London Calling or Revolver were. People here have given opinions and backed them up with valid points. Other people have then given intelligent responses. I was so intrigued I went off and downloaded the whole album and listened to it. Is it barrel scraping just because you have nothing interesting to say about it?
I can just about handle you driving like a pissed up crackhead and treating women like beanbags but I'm gonna say this once and once only Gene, stay out of Camberwick Green!

www.chrischopping.virb.com

http://thatidiotchrischopping.blogspot.com

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 22 Sep 2004, 15:22

Evidently, Lennon's first post-Beatles project isn't worth discussing. I mean, who was he anyways? More pressing matters await, I'm sure.
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

Postby Guest » 22 Sep 2004, 15:26

Chris Chopping wrote:Why is it barrel scraping to discuss this album?

I haven't the foggiest idea but someone seemed to think so in the second post on this thread. I think it's a fascinating record.

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 22 Sep 2004, 15:29

nathan wrote:
Chris Chopping wrote:Why is it barrel scraping to discuss this album?

I haven't the foggiest idea but someone seemed to think so in the second post on this thread. I think it's a fascinating record.

:oops: Sorry, sarcasm radar on the blink!
I can just about handle you driving like a pissed up crackhead and treating women like beanbags but I'm gonna say this once and once only Gene, stay out of Camberwick Green!

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 21 Dec 2004, 14:30

This thread was on the way out and I'm not ready to let it go just yet. Great record, by the way.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

jimjim

Postby jimjim » 21 Dec 2004, 14:59

neige wrote:Fourthed... and I refuse to vote!

Fifth-ed. Not just my fave Lennon LP but one of my faves of all time. 'God' is the winner because until recently I believed it was a clever conceit Lennon used to really lay down the BIG truth in dramatic style....

'... I Don't believe in BEATLES!!!!....

The dream is over. What can I say?' etc

Then I *coughed* a bootleg of the sessions and realised it was not intended as such when he demo'd it. It's still brilliant, though.

If it's me and yer granny on bongos, it's still The Fall

John Moores

Postby John Moores » 21 Dec 2004, 20:56

God.

"Yoko is a concept by which we measure our pain."

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 22 Dec 2004, 00:48

question: If you do not want a Wall of sound production job on your album but instead you wish it to sound sparsh and stark, why do you pick Phil Spector to produce? I don't mean to say he made a bad job of it, he didn't. It just seems like a strange choice is all.

John_K
driven by lists

Postby John_K » 22 Dec 2004, 00:52

Working Class Hero for me all the time, although I do have a soft spot for God & Mother.

J

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 22 Dec 2004, 01:53

Christmas Shopping wrote:question: If you do not want a Wall of sound production job on your album but instead you wish it to sound sparsh and stark, why do you pick Phil Spector to produce? I don't mean to say he made a bad job of it, he didn't. It just seems like a strange choice is all.

It is tempting to think of people as one-dimensional: Phil Spector always does the Wall of Sound, Brian Wilson is always insecure, Gene Simmons is always a womanizer, John Lennon is always sarcastic ... but people are deeper than that. Who knows what transpired? Maybe "Instant Karma!" just whetted John and Phil's appetite to work together, they decided they wanted to, but Lennon said he wanted to do a quick, spare, and honest record and Phil said yes. Maybe Phil wanted a change himself. Maybe Phil didn't do much producing at all, but just got the credit.

To assume Spector always wanted to do more and more Wall of Sound productions is natural, but it probably doesn't account for him being a human, with varying needs.

But it's an interesting question: what did Phil actually do to produce this album?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

linusoli
Spaced Cowboy

Postby linusoli » 22 Dec 2004, 05:05

This album is better than all but a few Beatles releases...seriously.

"Mother," "Isolation," "Look at Me," "God," etc etc etc

The sheer quality and beauty of these songs can not be denied.
Interviewer: So what did you do in the tent?
Brian Wilson: Ate sandwiches.
Brian's friend: Basically we smoked a lot of hash.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 22 Dec 2004, 05:18

Quaco wrote:But it's an interesting question: what did Phil actually do to produce this album?

His recordings with Lennon are some of my favorite sounding records ever. Love that thud.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 22 Dec 2004, 06:25

Just been listening to some outtakes from this album. I have figured out one thing -- that this was Lennon's take on the Sun Sessions -- but I'm still not any closer to choosing between "I Found Out", "Love", "Look at Me" and "God" (and a couple others).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

take5_d_shorterer

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 23 Mar 2005, 07:00

loveless and I were just talking about this thread over the weekend, and I was saying, ``uh-oh, I'll bet it's been culled now.''

Thank God for the poll malfunction that puts the thread in limbo indefinitely.

Now you know what is criminal? loveless admits that he doesn't save his posts. None of them. (See page 3 for his large post on this thread.)

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 23 Mar 2005, 07:13

The relentless immaturity of this album will always bother me. In one regard, it sort of adds to its arresting nature (the crying wail in "Mother" and his urging to tell the 'children' "not to do what I have done"), but the flipside is finishing the album with the pointless music-box of
My Mummy's Dead". I guess it suits as some light relief of "God" where the pounding, overemphasised nature of that song (list songs often hammer their point more than necessary, and I don't think "God" is any different in that regard) is so exhausting. "The dream is over", is such an obvious, manipulative line. But it works.

"Working Class Hero" interests me, it sounds like a 30-year old pretending to be a 20-year old. Everything's in such black and white terms, and he plays the messiah role (even though, just two tracks pervious, he rejected it)

Y'know I guess the reasons I'm drawn to (and like) this record are the very aspects of it I can also loathe. Frightfully bemusing.

Spector's choice is so important, he gives everything such a huge (and paraodixically pared-down) sound. Sure, it's just piano and guitar, but it fills up the speakers. Wall of spareness, or something perhaps.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Mar 2005, 09:50

The standard of the writing is so high I really do feel this should be arcgived in the classuic threads section. Could Jethro, Sam or hoy do the business - or at least consider it?
Cheers.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 23 Mar 2005, 10:16

Diamond Dog wrote:The standard of the writing is so high I really do feel this should be arcgived in the classuic threads section. Could Jethro, Sam or hoy do the business - or at least consider it?
Cheers.

hoy?

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 23 Mar 2005, 10:17

Diamond Dog wrote:The standard of the writing is so high I really do feel this should be arcgived in the classuic threads section. Could Jethro, Sam or hoy do the business - or at least consider it?
Cheers.

PM me once it's dropped back off the top. I have a feeling this thread ain't done yet.

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 23 Mar 2005, 12:49

Despite things I said earlier in the thread this album has really grown on me lately. I still am skeptical about working class hero however.

It's interesting that someone further up this page should talk about God being a "list" song. Obviously it does have that long list at the end but for me that is sort of an extended outro. The bit before that is absolutely brilliant!

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”