BCB's fave Rap/Hip Hop albums poll '18: #40-1 now complete!

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Jumper K

Re: BCB's favourite Rap/Hip Hop albums poll 2018

Postby Jumper K » 26 Aug 2018, 15:12

Working on mine. Not past 1986 yet.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 26 Aug 2018, 16:53

never/ever wrote:Image

I've come to the conclusion that they're simply ignoring me, the annoying twats.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 26 Aug 2018, 18:02

Jimbo wrote:Oh man I hate rap. Saw Kendrick Lamar and N.E.R.D. at Fuji Rock this summer and it was the most god awful codswallop and thanked heaven when their sets were over. Tell me to jump or get my hands in the air one more time motherfucker and I'll SCREAMMM! How that one note, crotch snatching, ego maniacal, lyrically awful, profane, dumb and dumber shit excuse for music ever got to be so huge is a mystery - hmm, maybe it's a conspiracy to dumb down the world. The Japanese are crazy for it, and they don't speak a lick of basic English, let alone "street." Somewhere the evil cabal are laughing saying, "They bought it. The dumb rubes actually still like that crap. I mean pet rock were a good seller but they caught on, but this rap thing? How many years since we got that schmuck to play the turntable? Yes, the turntable. And who needs notes? Man oh man.

I would not even consider Lamar or N.E.R.D. to be rap.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 26 Aug 2018, 18:35

Walk In My Shadow wrote:
Jimbo wrote:Oh man I hate rap. Saw Kendrick Lamar and N.E.R.D. at Fuji Rock this summer and it was the most god awful codswallop and thanked heaven when their sets were over. Tell me to jump or get my hands in the air one more time motherfucker and I'll SCREAMMM! How that one note, crotch snatching, ego maniacal, lyrically awful, profane, dumb and dumber shit excuse for music ever got to be so huge is a mystery - hmm, maybe it's a conspiracy to dumb down the world. The Japanese are crazy for it, and they don't speak a lick of basic English, let alone "street." Somewhere the evil cabal are laughing saying, "They bought it. The dumb rubes actually still like that crap. I mean pet rock were a good seller but they caught on, but this rap thing? How many years since we got that schmuck to play the turntable? Yes, the turntable. And who needs notes? Man oh man.

I would not even consider Lamar or N.E.R.D. to be rap.

Admittedly I am a rap/hip hop ignoramus but I know what I like and they were not my cup of tea. If they are saying something with their lyrics - could be profound could be comic - I couldn't make out a word except for some profanity that would bubble out over the noise. And IMO music needs melody and these guys didn't sing. But what was worse was the preening and the egotism cuz they had the mic - and some nice muscles when they took off their shirts. A little humility goes a long way in my book and these guys were braggarts, bullies and prima donnas, IMO. Yeah, I understand there is underground rap (or whatever) but if I want to be spoken to - cuz "rapping" equals talking - get a podium and say your piece. But the bombast and over the top production for one schmuck ordering an audience to make a mosh pit when there are festival rules not to mosh is dumb and dangerous. IMO you are brainwashed/guilted (yeah there is a racial element) into liking this shit excuse for music. To be honest I kind of liked Snoop Dogg and M&M for a time but for an entire album? No way. And reviewers complained how they'd pad their albums with dross to make the usual 45 minute recording 75 or however many minutes could fit on a CD. And how they reject the past, the blues, R&B, soul, except to lift snippets that real musicians created, is another thing that bugs me. Fuck you. Write your own music. I feel that if one performer, say Snoop, did this type of music, great. "Remember that guy in the 90s who rapped funny shit?" That it turned into a legit genre with hundreds doing essentially the same thing, it's a lazy way to make music.
Last edited by Jimbo on 26 Aug 2018, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
Question authority.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 26 Aug 2018, 18:44

Jimbo wrote:d And how they reject the past, the blues, R&B, soul, except to lift snippets that real musicians created, is another thing that bugs me.

That had been bothering me for the longest time too. Definitely the reason I embraced rap (the better sort) very late.

algroth

Postby algroth » 26 Aug 2018, 19:16

Walk In My Shadow wrote:
Jimbo wrote:d And how they reject the past, the blues, R&B, soul, except to lift snippets that real musicians created, is another thing that bugs me.

That had been bothering me for the longest time too. Definitely the reason I embraced rap (the better sort) very late.

What the fuck are you two on about? Far as I'm concerned hip hop's always *embraced* the music of the past rather openly, and it's part of why they have such a music-literate array of samples the better artists in the genre have consistently made use of in their work. And the idea that somehow samples disqualify the music made from hip-hop artists is fucking ridiculous, as if artists within rock, jazz and whatever haven't been constantly borrowing licks and passages and even covering songs from their predecessors, or contemporaries even, and as if much like all these other genres the better hip-hop artists weren't using these samples in creative and completely transformative ways. If anything the added transparency that it's a sample from a particular source of recorded music opposite to a borrowed passage is in several occasions a plus: take A Tribe Called Quest's sampling of Invisible's "Ruido de magia" in "Dis Generation" most recently, which has prompted several listeners from all around the world to search for the original piece and gave a band whose following was largely niche or within its country of origin some exposure in the international stage. That some posters on this board who have already decided what they think of an entire scene before even listening to it should spout such misinformed bollocks is one thing, but you, Shadow, should fucking know better. Christ, the things one has to read in this board...

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 26 Aug 2018, 19:33

:lol:
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 26 Aug 2018, 19:35

All I said was that my early opinion about rap was that their artists spouted about killing and their hos over music that they stole- "sampled" -from real musicians.
-Later I got the insight that it was'n fully true. Apart from the rappers there were indeed musicians involved who did more than just snatch music from other musicians.
I came to appreciate this.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 26 Aug 2018, 19:38

Your example from Rui de magica may be one that goes that way but many examples come clearly from known pieces of music. Well known before they were sampled.

algroth

Postby algroth » 26 Aug 2018, 19:38

Walk In My Shadow wrote:All I said was that my early opinion about rap was that their artists spouted about killing and their hos over music that they stole- "sampled" -from real musicians.
-Later I got the insight that it was'n fully true. Apart from the rappers there were indeed musicians involved who did more than just snatch music from other musicians.
I came to appreciate this.

Ah, I misread that as you agreeing with Jimbo's observation (as in you saying "their rejection of the past is what bothered me for the longest time too"). My bad then.

Either way, I don't agree that Invisible's case is amidst the exceptions either. Magma's "De futura" sampled by Death Grips or Yusef Lateef's "Love Theme from Spartacus" sampled by Nujabes are some other cases that come into mind. There's plenty of great references to pick up from in many other hip-hop songs/albums/artists, and I find it very interesting at how often one can scroll down the YouTube comments for tracks and find remarks thanking [hip-hop artist X] for bringing them there. That there are many 'obvious' samples too but I think that in average it's hard to argue once you start to delve a little into the genre that it's by and large a very musically savvy genre that takes influence from a number of sources, with utmost respect to them too.
Last edited by algroth on 26 Aug 2018, 19:52, edited 3 times in total.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 26 Aug 2018, 19:43

My very firts impression of rap was that new lyrics were being sung over existing songs. To put it in its crudest form. Of course that wasn't the case but I was a very superfluent listener of rap then.
I changed my opinion vey quickly.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 26 Aug 2018, 21:00

It's all fucking shit, aggressive posturing loudmouth bollocks from no-talent tone-deaf wankers.

If music journos weren't guilty white liberal pissartists none of this shite would have been treated seriously in the first place.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 26 Aug 2018, 21:11

THE BACONED CLOWN OF TOSS wrote:It's all fucking shit, aggressive posturing loudmouth bollocks from no-talent tone-deaf wankers.

If music journos weren't guilty white liberal pissartists none of this shite would have been treated seriously in the first place.

"fuck this hip hop shit, I'm off down the indie disco...."
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 27 Aug 2018, 07:44

It's interesting, looking at the list I submitted (and I did try to make it as varied as possible by limiting it to one album per artist), it seems that I like my rap/hip hop when it's sample based and with its roots firmly planted in soul, funk, jazz or reggae. That's not to say I don't enjoy the genre's possibilities for pure noise, but rather I guess I prefer it when it has something to grab onto. I think that's why To Pimp A Butterfly really hooked me in- it was rooted in musics I enjoy, so it made the trip over to it somewhat easier. I've enjoyed Kendrick Lamar's other releases, but sonically and lyrically they're a lot more insular and less expansive. I will say the genre is responsible for some of my favourite music ever. It's also responsible for some of the laziest and most cynical music ever but you don't become the popular currency of pop music without there being extremes.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

algroth

Postby algroth » 27 Aug 2018, 23:01

Sent my list.

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 31 Aug 2018, 09:57

Will work up a list this weekend...

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 31 Aug 2018, 10:02

Jumper K wrote:Working on mine. Not past 1986 yet.

I'd be interested in what a pre-"Golden Age" list would look like, from this distance (and bearing in mind I wasn't really around to experience it in "real time), it did seem to develop in the 1980s at such a rate of pace that's almost frightening. Much like rock music in the 1960s, really. Indeed, an album like Edan's Beauty & the Beat makes the link between the two genres and eras explicit.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 31 Aug 2018, 11:02

The Write Profile wrote:
Jumper K wrote:Working on mine. Not past 1986 yet.

I'd be interested in what a pre-"Golden Age" list would look like, from this distance (and bearing in mind I wasn't really around to experience it in "real time), it did seem to develop in the 1980s at such a rate of pace that's almost frightening. Much like rock music in the 1960s, really. Indeed, an album like Edan's Beauty & the Beat makes the link between the two genres and eras explicit.

Lots of DJ Kool Herc-tapes, Kurtis Blow, the early Sugar Hill Gang, Spoonie Gee, Koel Moe Dee, Grandmaster Flash, Melle Mel, RUN DMC, Roxanne Shante and LL Cool J....there was a lot of groundbreaking stuff at the time which was met partly with a bit of muffled laughter (hairstyles, the addiction to loud colored sportsgear and such) and respect from kids who saw something really 'street' happening. Yo MTV Raps was definitely hip.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

fange
100% fangetastic

Re: BCB's fave Rap/Hip Hop albums poll '18: send lists!

Postby fange » 02 Sep 2018, 10:00

Hey all, keep those lists coming in! I'll give everyone another week or two.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Ranking Ted

Re: BCB's fave Rap/Hip Hop albums poll '18: send lists!

Postby Ranking Ted » 02 Sep 2018, 21:58

fange wrote:Hey all, keep those lists coming in! I'll give everyone another week or two.

Cheers Fange, will get round to it this week.

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”