Soft Machine Triple Echo booklet autograph project

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Re: Soft Machine Triple Echo booklet autograph project

Postby zoomboogity » 31 May 2018, 22:55

Hightea wrote:this really is amazing.
who you got left anyone still alive.

Thanks! Checking my e-mails this morning, I got the Pete Frame Seal Of Approval! :D

As for who's left... Tim Blake, Rabbit Bundrick, Marc Charig, Lyn Dobson, Dave Dufort, Nick Evans, Mick Fincher, Miquette Giraudy, Charles Hayward, Steve Hillage, Karl Jenkins, Percy Jones, Bill MacCormick, Dave McRae, Zoot Money, Amanda Parsons, Mike Ratledge, Andy Robertson, Dave Sinclair, Christian Tritsch, Rick Wills, probably a few others. But this thing spent two years in the UK, so word got out as much as it could. Even when Heather returned home to Italy, the booklet stayed at her brother's home in London, so anyone was welcome to stop by. I guess it's reached the end, and that brief window of time when some of them were willing to give touring America (mostly the '90s) has come and gone. When I get it framed, it's going to have a slit at the top so I can remove it, just in case. You never know - Percy Jones lives in New York, so it's not so far-fetched that he might come out here. But we doubled the total, from 17 to 34. Not bad.

Here's the chronology, as best as I can recall.
Summer 1992 - Tim Blake US tour, stays at our house. After he leaves, I have my "d'OH!" moment.
1 - Autumn 1992 - Mike Oldfield does an in-store appearance at Rhino Records' short-lived Santa Monica branch. A brief solo performance, followed by a meet-and-greet.
2 - February 1993 - Kevin Ayers US tour, Hollywood.
3/4 - May 1993 - Richard Sinclair's Caravan Of Dreams US tour, Hollywood (with Andy Ward and Rick Biddulph). Gilli Smyth is also touring the US, and some of their dates coincide, including this one.
5/6/7/8 - March 1996 - Gong US tour, West Hollywood: Daevid Allen, Mike Howlett, Didier Malherbe, Pip Pyle ("love and old paper bags").
9 - September 1997 - Gong US tour, West Hollywood: Pierre Moerlen.
10 - Summer 2000 - Andy Summers does a jazz trio set at The Baked Potato in North Hollywood. He was chatting with fans and signing records between sets (it's a small venue, holds maybe 100 people), and in the dark light, he didn't recognize what it was - could have been someone slipping him a contract - so when I showed him the front cover, it all came back to him. By this time, it was reaching the point where people would stop and look in bemusement before signing, and when he saw Kevin's name, he commented that the last time he saw Kevin was when they did that Spanish TV special. When I told him that I was bringing Kevin to California for a two-city tour, his interest is piqued, and a few months later, he shows up with Jack Bruce, and the three of them hang for a bit.
11/12 - August 2002 - "The Progman Cometh" festival in Seattle - Elton Dean, Hugh Hopper. Actually a "Canterbury Scene" festival, with all the players doing their current thing, which didn't exclude doing old favorites - one surprise was when Daevid Allen's University Of Errors brought Kevin Ayers out to sing four songs, one of which was Feelin' Reelin' Squealin', which Kevin hadn't played since 1967. I asked about John Marshall, and he left immediately after his set, as he had session work waiting for him back home. (Shades of the Michael McDonald sketch on SCTV, but fair play to him. He did eventually sign it.) Allan Holdsworth was there as well, but no luck finding him.
13 - September 2002 - Fairport US tour, Pasadena: Ric Sanders. (They had also played in 1999, but whoops.)
14 - March 2006 - Hatfield And The North reunite and play at Bajaprog in Mexicali: Phil Miller.
15/16 - October 2006 - Canterbury Festival: Brian Hopper, Geoff Richardson.
17 - 2015? - Allan Holdsworth plays Alvas Showroom in San Pedro. Sees Andy Summers' sig and thinks it's his, but takes my word for it.
2016 - Off it goes.
2018 - And here we are.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 01 Jun 2018, 02:57

nice bummer about Highteamoonweed(I'm not him by the way but did use the nickname for my username- goes way back and was highteamoon at first)

I know we talked about progman Cometh before, only time I saw Ayers
love this shot

Brand X is touring the states has been for the past two years. I don't see any west coast dates but I'm sure they will add more.
I met his tour guy at a 30 person show a few years ago in Brooklyn, he was real nice bet PJ would be easy to get at those shows.
Sorry didn't take a card.

I've got Steve Hillage's signature somewhere :P . You might have missed you window on them.

Soft Machine Legacy is playing a bunch of ates in NYC but no Mike or Karl

still an awesome accomplishment

I could have had all these signed by every band member but I choose to eat but there were guys who did it. Only got a handful

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 01 Jun 2018, 04:49

That shot of Daevid and Kevin looks like they're singing the line, "Are you happy? Are you happy?"

Hightea wrote:I know we talked about progman Cometh before, only time I saw Ayers.

When Kevin came out, he said good evening, then in his typical sardonic style of stage banter, he said, "I'm, uh... I'm a bit perturbed. (pause) But who isn't, right?" My friend sitting next to me videotaped most of the weekend, and my laugh is clearly audible when he says that. Then they play four songs with him: The Unfairground, Hymn, Feelin' Reelin' Squealin', Star. Then Kevin steps off, Richard Sinclair steps up, and they sing O Caroline, with the second chorus changed to, "We love you still, Robert Wyatt. We love you still, Kevin Ayers. We love you still, Daevid Allen."

At this point in time, we all know that is not only the first-ever gathering of so many surviving Canterbury Scene musicians, but most likely the last, so it was pretty emotional. Especially as the hotel was about three blocks away from The Moore Theatre, it was fun to simply walk down the street, walk past Elton Dean or whomever, then smile and wave at each other. "Oh look, there's Daevid Allen walking down the street. Let's say hello for a minute, then join Kevin Ayers at the cafe down the street." You knew this was a one-time-only thing as it was going on, no one was taking it for granted, Stopping by Richard Sinclair's hotel room and jamming with him on the Saturday morning is a moment I wish my friend with the video camera had captured.

Hightea wrote:I've got Steve Hillage's signature somewhere :P . You might have missed you window on them.

Depends on if he still has System 7 going. They performed at a rave out in the desert about 15 years ago, but I'm not that insane. He's also doing his guitar stuff again - support act for Rundgren, maybe?

Funny you mention Percy Jones. I dropped a line to his website this afternoon, and his webmaster got back to me and suggested I check Facebook. I say thanks, and sent him a link him to that post in the thread. He forwards it to Percy, who e-mails me to let me know that Brand X should be back here next year. The saga continues...

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 03 Jun 2018, 02:35

[Below is a guest post from Heather Sinclair, without whose help this project would not have achieved the level of awesomeness it has reached. She included her e-mail at the bottom, and although she and Richard live in a remote part of Italy with limited Internet access, she does her best to catch up when she returns to London for a few days each month to attend to family business, where Internet access is easier. So even if you have nothing to add to the booklet, other than to tell her how cool it is, feel free to send birthday wishes to Richard, who turns 70 on June 6. They have both been dear friends to me and my family for 25 years, and when she found out I was just sending this to Judy Dyble to sign and send back to me, she offered to take it to the next level.

By the way, the story doesn't end here. Yesterday I e-mailed percyjones.net, and the webmaster told me that the best way to reach Percy is through Facebook. I thanked him, then linked to the post in this thread with the booklet in its current state. Within minutes, not only did he forward it to Percy, but Percy himself e-mailed me to say that Brand X was in LA last November and had plans to return 2019, and he'd be more than happy to add to it. In the meantime, I connected him with my friend Nels Cline, since they both live in NYC. The thought of those two making music together... wow. All they'll need is a drummer for the trio to end all trios. I nominate Vinnie Colaiuta.]

Heather Sinclair wrote:1st June 2018.
From Puglia, South Italy.

Hello, it's Heather Sinclair, partner to Richard Sinclair, now for some years…

1990 was a memorable time for us. We had a distinguished visitor to our home in Canterbury: The Silver Fox of Radio, based at Kansas City, Rick Chafen, who has been and continues to support the music that he loves dearly. At that time, Delta Airlines had a great deal for European visitors, the Stand-By Pass, that was inexpensive and valid for one month. This had inspired Rick to activate the most enthusiastic from the fan base of his radio show On Her Majesties Service (I think it was called), to get involved and arrange a solo concert in their town, promote it and provide the transport and hospitality, which was a wonder to be part of.

Musicians Daevid Allen, Gilli Smyth, Kevin Ayers, Tim Blake and others, able to perform solo, were the first to tour U.S.A. in this way, and then the opportunity came up for Richard Sinclair, who had recently begun to play solo, singing with guitar and bass…

We managed to afford my travel expenses as well… on two of four tours, the later ones we had begun collecting our own mailing list of folks … (and we succeeded in making a tour for the Trio of RS Caravan of Dreams, with Rick Biddulph and Andy Ward).

During this time we met Richard Derrick, who was our man in LA… Richard was great fun, met us at the airport, provided a nice club gig and sound system, all we needed, and we were also taken home to meet his family and many of his friends.

The last time we saw Richard was in 2006, with Hatfield and The North performing at Baja Prog. Richard was there with Brad Knox, and drove us back to LA from Mexicali, and with friends of his with a house on the coast, we had a few days to holiday! And also another concert…

So Richard Derrick is a diamond geezer who has remained in touch since those days. I now travel each month, to London to work with my disabled brother and was very happy to try and gather some more signatures for Richard's copy of the Triple Echo album sleeve… Richard had already sent the cover to Judy Dyble, and so I thought, where to start!

People we are in touch with already…. So e-mailed Dave Stewart, knowing that he was a friend to Mont Campbell and possibly Bill Bruford… I cc'd email to Dave Stewart to RD, who then passed the forwarding address on to Judy… and Dave was happy to sign and got it to Mont Campbell, but could not help with Bill Bruford.

Having just read the latest Robert Wyatt autobiography Different Every Time (to which RS had been asked to contribute), I knew that Phil Manzanera was important to Robert Wyatt as a friend with a wheelchair-accessible recording studio and sympathetic recording engineer, so finding Phil Manzanera at his studio on the web, I wrote and explained… and asked if he would be happy to forward this on to Robert Wyatt. So Dave Stewart posts on to Phil Manzanera…

At the same time I found Bill Bruford on the web, and he responded. When I explained that the album sleeve was currently with Phil Manzanera, he said, “Oh - well, I actually have a meeting at his place coming up,” and so the album sleeve remained for some time at the studio of Phil Manzanera. I wrote, “Is it possible than you are in touch with Bryan Ferry?” to which he answered that Bryan is a bit elusive these days…

I then telephoned Robert Wyatt, and we had a nice chat: “You never ask a man of my advancing years, 'How are you?' Or you will get a whole story of minor ailments”… and he told me that Phil Manzanera is very busy in the summer months, probably away on tour, no worries, when it arrives, he would sign.

I did a web search for Mike Ratledge and found the record company that had released his latest Solo album, and so I wrote and introduced myself and explained my mission. Nice communication back from the company, he was intrigued by the Family Tree. In fact, I was sent an MP3 file of the album, which we enjoyed… but sorry to report, there was no response from the e-mail that I sent to Mike Ratledge.

I then contacted Carol Grimes via her website, and she told me that she had recently relocated to Folkestone, on the Kent Coast… and sent me her address.

Eventually the album cover arrived with Robert Wyatt, and I could ask him to please forward it on to Carol Grimes - “So I have to pack it up - walk to the Post Office and post it on…." Yes, I know, it is cheeky… but thank you ever so much, this is really appreciated …

I wrote next to Jimmy Hastings, always a pleasant communication (he has played music with Richard's father, Dick Sinclair), and we saw him last in 2010, here with Richard Sinclair's Birthday Band for Fasano Jazz, also with Canterburian Dave Rees-Williams on piano. Jim was happy to sign and would be expecting to receive this by post from Carol Grimes…

Some time passed, and I became concerned about it getting lost…. I had a couple of days off in my working schedule and contacted Pam and Kevin Mudge Wood, musician friends of long standing from Canterbury and Carol Grimes, and arranged to meet up. Looking forward to the sea air, I took the train from London, changing at Canterbury to get to the friends, now living at the village of Shepardswell, situated close to Folkestone. It was lovely to catch up with the friends again and see the familiar countryside. In the morning, Pam drove me to the house of Carol Grimes.

We had a wonderful time, with hospitable and lively Carol in her beautiful sitting room surrounded by her pictures and flowers, and on the subject of working with Delivery she said Steve (Miller) is one soul that she still misses not having around in the world, and I added, "Richard would agree with you."

She knew about Pete Frame's Canterbury Tree on a tour in Japan, when she was shown her name on it. Consequently, she has called her new book The Singer's Tale (as there is not one in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales). Carol is still singing naturally and performing, has The Wilde Flowers Choir and other choirs up and running, one designed specifically for benefiting some disabilities, notably Parkinson's disease. What a great day and what an inspiration!

Returning to London with the album cover, I posted it to Mike Wedgwood in Denmark, whom Richard Derrick had contacted already, and he was happy to hear from us. He remembered the bass neck that had broken off his instrument, and that Richard [Sinclair] had utilised it, with a new body made by his father, to make the bass he still plays today! The well-traveled album cover then returned to London, from where I posted it to Jimmy Hastings and asked if he would kindly forward it to brother Pye…

…then came Christmas. I was working with my brother, and he bought me The Singer's Tale by Carol Grimes! That had become available on Amazon, in the UK. Now that is one amazing story of Carol's young life. Somebody should make it a film. Can recommend this as a great read. By a lucky coincidence, John Etheridge was visiting Pye, and he signed it as well!

I had an e-mail address for John Marshall, and that was good to catch up the news, he had been out of action for a while with back problems but is now playing again in Soft Machine with John Etheridge, Theo Travis and Roy Babbington… and so Roy Babbington autographed the sleeve before sending back to me in London.

I have contacted the Pete Frame website to try and buy a full sized copy of The C'bury Tree for Richard Sinclair, as he has a birthday coming up… there are Soft Machine versions available but sadly the Original Artwork of the whole Scene) has been lost. So if anybody out there has one, please contact:

Heather Sinclair <[email protected]>

All the Best, HS.
Last edited by zoomboogity on 16 Sep 2018, 12:34, edited 1 time in total.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 04 Jun 2018, 14:33

Wow this is a great story of the album that went around the world. :lol:

[quote="zoomboogity"] In the meantime, I connected him with my friend Nels Cline, since they both live in NYC. The thought of those two making music together... wow. All they'll need is a drummer for the trio to end all trios. I nominate Vinnie Colaiuta.]

:o that would be amazing those two could make some interesting music, Yes Vinnie would be a nice addition too. :lol: Love Nels with Wilco and all his side projects. Went to Wilco's Solid Sound Festival last year Nels had a few different sets all good. Seems like a nice guy too also a fan of his Wife Yuka Honda.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 04 Mar 2019, 01:36

In what I assume will be the closing chapter in this little saga, two more of these people will performing in LA later this month: Charles Hayward (This Is Not This Heat) and Percy Jones (Brand X). As my cousin has a birthday coming up, and his son has turned out to be quite the musical prodigy - I mean, seriously, how many 16-year-olds can improvise a song on the piano on a Keith Jarrett level (not the style, so much as the level of ability),no exaggeration - this will look nice on their wall.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 04 Mar 2019, 02:04

I met Percy a few weeks ago- lovely fella.

I could get you in touch with a LA-guy who has tons of autographed stuff and may be able to help you further....
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 04 Mar 2019, 03:19

zoomboogity wrote:In what I assume will be the closing chapter in this little saga, two more of these people will performing in LA later this month: Charles Hayward (This Is Not This Heat) and Percy Jones (Brand X). As my cousin has a birthday coming up, and his son has turned out to be quite the musical prodigy - I mean, seriously, how many 16-year-olds can improvise a song on the piano on a Keith Jarrett level (not the style, so much as the level of ability),no exaggeration - this will look nice on their wall.

Damn thanks so much just pick up a ticket for This Is Not This Heat in NYC, small club I like.

Like never/ever i met Percy, John and Brand X sound guy last year. They all nice guys and a few interesting stories.

Saw three more on the list last year the 2018 Soft Machine (Theo Travis rounds out the band)
Roy Babbington
John Etheridge
John Marshall

I know you have Marshall but do you have Roy and John?

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 04 Mar 2019, 03:43

Yes. The three of them all signed the back cover, until someone noticed the family tree, so they did it again (as it were).

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 04 Mar 2019, 05:03

zoomboogity wrote:Yes. The three of them all signed the back cover, until someone noticed the family tree, so they did it again (as it were).

sweet

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 04 Mar 2019, 05:54

DIdn't Bill MacCormick sign it? I thought I remember him doing so, and it being a shame Charles Hayward was unable to. (But now he will, which is great.)

Richard, are you going to do a scan of it before you gift it? I would be interested in one if possible? I could also do the scan if you need it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 04 Mar 2019, 06:43

Last edited by zoomboogity on 04 Mar 2019, 06:46, edited 1 time in total.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 04 Mar 2019, 06:43

Quaco wrote:DIdn't Bill MacCormick sign it? I thought I remember him doing so, and it being a shame Charles Hayward was unable to. (But now he will, which is great.)

When Heather said that Manzanera was hanging on to it until Bill would be at his studio, I thought she meant MacCormick, but it was Bruford. (Most recent scan on page 3.)

Quaco wrote:Richard, are you going to do a scan of it before you gift it? I would be interested in one if possible? I could also do the scan if you need it.

Of course! Will the regular size be enough, or do you want to supersize it?

(Which reminds me of a Louie Anderson joke about ordering a Slurpee at the 7-11. "Well, we have the 16-ounce cup... and the 55-gallon drum." "What's the price difference?" "A nickel.")

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 20 Mar 2019, 01:42

zoomboogity wrote:In what I assume will be the closing chapter in this little saga, two more of these people will performing in LA later this month: Charles Hayward (This Is Not This Heat) and Percy Jones (Brand X). As my cousin has a birthday coming up, and his son has turned out to be quite the musical prodigy - I mean, seriously, how many 16-year-olds can improvise a song on the piano on a Keith Jarrett level (not the style, so much as the level of ability),no exaggeration - this will look nice on their wall.

Check
Charles Hayward off my live list. Great show last night, although I thought it was an early show 7 start time but first band played 1:30. This Is Not This Heat didn't come on until 930. Don't see many bands where the leader is the drummer(Magma), love the set although at times it was a little off sounding and some annoying sound to start.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 21 Mar 2019, 22:22

Hey Z - I'm going tonight with Brad & Dean, and have sent a note to Charles via FB. Fingers crossed.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 22 Mar 2019, 07:50

Excellent! I'm sure that once he (or his road manager) actually sees it, he'll be eager to sign it. That's what happened when I contacted percyjones.net: the guy sent a polite but neutral reply suggesting I check on Facebook, then I wrote back to show him the scan, and he immediately e-mailed Percy, who then e-mailed me within 20 minutes. I got him and Nels in touch with each other, I wonder if they ever hooked up...?

Rock on Canterbury!
Rock on Camberwell!

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 06 Apr 2019, 17:08

left (top to bottom, more or less):
Judy Dyble
Dave Stewart
Mont Campbell
Geoff Richardson
Phil Manzanera
Carol Grimes
Pip Pyle
Jimmy Hastings
Elton Dean
Pye Hastings
John Etheridge
Jim Leverton (not on family tree, but what the heck)
Mark Walker (as above)

center top (left to right)
Richard Sinclair
Mike Wedgwood

center
Robert Wyatt

center bottom
(first row)
Percy Jones
(second row)
Roy Babbington
John Marshall
Hugh Hopper

(third row)
Ric Sanders
Mike Oldfield
Andy Summers

(fourth row)
Brian Hopper
Kevin Ayers

upper right
(first row)
Daevid Allen
(second row)
Bill Bruford
Mike Howlett
Allan Holdsworth

(third row)
Pierre Moerlen
Phil Miller

(fourth row)
Charles Hayward

bottom right (top to bottom)
Didier Malherbe
Gilli Smyth
Last edited by zoomboogity on 06 Apr 2019, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 06 Apr 2019, 19:48

The mystery signature at the bottom of the left page, looks like Walker, Wilder, something like that. Mark Walker, current member of Caravan? Hmmm. When did that one appear?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 06 Apr 2019, 20:58

A couple of current members of Caravan were visiting with Pye when he signed it. (Thanks for identifying him, by the way. Previous post edited.)

billy
A pound

Postby billy » 06 Apr 2019, 23:29

Absolutely love everything about this
mantochanga wrote:Dave Bartram from Showaddywaddy - on telly every week, but most people didn't even know his name. No burdening us with his issues or personal life, just a straightforward entertainer. Navvy!

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”