No
88%

Total votes: 8

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: "Fake News"

Postby toomanyhatz » 27 Feb 2017, 20:51

There seems to be a real misunderstanding here of what "Fake News" actually is. You don't get to call it fake just because you disagree with the conclusions it draws. Davey is noting - correctly - the difference between standard and opinion journalism. I don't recall him saying that standard journalism is completely free of bias, or that there's no practicality to opinions. As I'm fond of saying, you are allowed your own opinions. You are not allowed your own facts. When facts are altered or invented, that and ONLY that constitutes fake news. Something that leaves out something you think should be included, or draws a different conclusion than you do does not make the cut. You can call it bad journalism, you can call it biased toward whatever pov you think it's biased toward, but unless you can prove mistruths in it, it is wrong to call it "Fake News."
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 27 Feb 2017, 21:05

I would vote "yes" in the poll, by the way, but FueryIre's rather pertinent question was not answered. I would certainly not vote yes on banning sites that Jimbo considers fake. I do believe in banning sites that spread mistruths, yes, but I'm not convinced that is what's being asked here. Perhaps that's why there's a fair bit of discussion here, yet so few votes.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 28 Feb 2017, 01:41

When I call NYT fake news I am allowing myself into a childish game of "Are too! Are not!" It was a few months ago in the "Pizzagate" blowup when a list of websites created by an academic was published in The Washington Post which called out sites that were putting out what the WAPO and the academic considered "fake news," especially news supposedly put out by Putin and Russia to make HRC look bad. The problem was that a number of the sites were not "Russian" nor putting out lies but just different angles on stories. In reaction, the offended sites took to calling the WAPO "fake news" for calling these alternative news sites "fake." "We're not fake news you are!" The most notorious actual fake news site, however is the one published by the mysterious Sorcha Faal. His/her site writes factually sounding articles and factually appearing articles which contain articles very very different in content than even Alex Jones or Breitbart. Here are a list of stories on the website today.

Russia Demands To Know Who’s Running America As Wednesday War Deadline Looms

Pacific Ocean Warned Will “Turn To Blood” After Japan Nuclear Disaster Breaches “Gates Of Hell”

As Trump Prepares To Join British Commonwealth, Pope Warns Of World War III

What You Don’t Know About America, And Why Millions Will Die

Largest Spy Scandal In American History Warned Could Collapse Entire Government

Millions Warned At Risk After Pipeline Leak Tests In EU Cause Radiation Nightmare

Russia Issues Grave Nuke Threat After New York Times Leaks Fake Ukraine Peace Deal

Mysterious “Weaponized” Virus Sweeps World As Bill Gates Warns 30 Million Will Die

In Shock Move, Russia Labels US “One Party State” After Democratic Party Suicided

President Trump-PewDiePie Alliance Shakes Globalist World To Its Very Core

Hollywood Icon Robert De Nero Rushes To Trump After CIA Kills Top Autism Expert

FBI Sweep Puts US Media In Terror As Trump Prepares To Jail Top Reporters

Trump “Shadow Move” Of General Michael Flynn To Feared Spy Agency Rattles Russia

Now that looks like fake news. Should, however, a site like this be banned from Facebook and from the web?
Question authority.

Postby ... » 28 Feb 2017, 08:54

Jimbo wrote:

Pacific Ocean Warned Will “Turn To Blood” After Japan Nuclear Disaster Breaches “Gates Of Hell”

Millions Warned At Risk After Pipeline Leak Tests In EU Cause Radiation Nightmare

Russia Issues Grave Nuke Threat After New York Times Leaks Fake Ukraine Peace Deal

Mysterious “Weaponized” Virus Sweeps World As Bill Gates Warns 30 Million Will Die

In Shock Move, Russia Labels US “One Party State” After Democratic Party Suicided

Trump “Shadow Move” Of General Michael Flynn To Feared Spy Agency Rattles Russia

Now that looks like fake news. Should, however, a site like this be banned from Facebook and from the web?

Only a complete fuckwit would take any of the above seriously, but then I saw whose name was on the post and everything became clear.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 28 Feb 2017, 11:45

fueryIre wrote:
Jimbo wrote:

Only a complete fuckwit would take any of the above seriously, but then I saw whose name was on the post and everything became clear.

Do you think that somewhere, there is a program that generates random ludicrous headlines like this?

"Ohh yeah... that's a good one. Stick it on the website and the morons will lap it up as gospel truth. Time for a few more 9/11 ones, I think...."

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 28 Feb 2017, 13:16

Phil T wrote:
fueryIre wrote:
Jimbo wrote:

Do you think that somewhere, there is a program that generates random ludicrous headlines like this?

"Ohh yeah... that's a good one. Stick it on the website and the morons will lap it up as gospel truth. Time for a few more 9/11 ones, I think...."

These are not just headlines. Someone wrote entire articles about these topics. I posted them not to tout my usual conspiracy bullshit but as examples of honest to goodness fake news, stuff even I don't believe (anymore). It's the elaborateness of their presentation which is remarkable. There are "fuckwits" who believe this stuff but it is not very different from the US tabloids.

Question authority.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 01 Mar 2017, 02:13

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Postby ... » 01 Mar 2017, 08:17

Jimbo wrote:
Phil T wrote:
fueryIre wrote:

These are not just headlines. Someone wrote entire articles about these topics. I posted them not to tout my usual conspiracy bullshit but as examples of honest to goodness fake news, stuff even I don't believe (anymore). It's the elaborateness of their presentation which is remarkable. There are "fuckwits" who believe this stuff but it is not very different from the US tabloids.

So you presumably clicked on these frankly ridiculous US-tabloid style headlines to ascertain there
was a "story" to back them up?

You are a bigger fuckwit than the rest of us thought.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 01 Mar 2017, 17:57

With news sources splintering and falsehoods spreading widely online, can anything be done? Richard Gray takes an in-depth look at how we got here – and hears from the researchers and innovators seeking to save the truth.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170301-lies-propaganda-and-fake-news-a-grand-challenge-of-our-age
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 01 Mar 2017, 21:20

All news is 'fake' to some degree (as if 'real' were a thing).
It makes it even faker if you let someone else set the agenda for it.
#hippytruth
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 02 Mar 2017, 01:32

Question authority.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 02 Mar 2017, 04:47

I could only make it through 8 minutes of the first video. Those people are morons.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 02 Mar 2017, 05:15

I think they're clever satirists but I can see if you are not tuned into Dore's style - or in denial about the message Dore is sending - then it could be hard to watch. It would be like me having to watch Fox conservative comedian Greg Gutfield whom right off the bat I'd find so wrong on the issues not only wouldn't I find him funny or clever I'd surely switch him off.

Edit: Essentially, during the election Sarandon was a Bernie or buster. She had said on liberal host Hayes' show that it would be good for Trump to win because then the people would see governance so awful they'd surely elect a progressive in the next election. Hayes scoffed at her then as did Hillary supporters. So now, after a month of Trump Hayes has her back on to see if she has any regrets not backing Hillary. Dore breaks down the video to show how $30,000 a week paid Hayes flips and flubs his way to skewer her again - and fails. For evidence, Davie, are you happy with the horrible way the Democratic party handled the Perez election? Do you think at this rate they will win big in following elections? They won't get the progressives on board unless they move substantially to the left, which, judging by the Perez election, they won't. Every day my email box gets filled with pleas for money from Nancy Pelosi and the "same old same old" loser crew and, no, they won't get my money.
Last edited by Jimbo on 02 Mar 2017, 05:54, edited 1 time in total.
Question authority.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 02 Mar 2017, 05:45

I wish I found it more clever. He just calls Hayes names and talks about how much money he makes (does Bill Moyers make less?) - not much more.

The rest of it all comes back to the same old confirmation bias slop.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 02 Mar 2017, 06:29

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:I wish I found it more clever. He just calls Hayes names and talks about how much money he makes (does Bill Moyers make less?) - not much more.

The rest of it all comes back to the same old confirmation bias slop.

Talk about bias. Hayes' salary is relevant, especially in this "fake news" thread because he is paid by Comcast which owns NBC and donated to Clinton (according to Opensecrets) $690,510 and $628,514 to the DNC. (To be fair, $64,974 to Sanders.) And according to this site: "He has an estimated net worth of $5 million whereas his salary is assumed to $6 million per annum." http://liverampup.com/entertainment/chr ... worth.html
http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary ... D000000461
Are pundits and newscasters salaries relevant to the "fake mainstream news" items? I think so.
Question authority.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 02 Mar 2017, 07:00

How do you see that working? Do you honestly believe that all MSNBC hosts take editorial marching orders from their Comcast overlords?

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 02 Mar 2017, 07:09

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:How do you see that working? Do you honestly believe that all MSNBC hosts take editorial marching orders from their Comcast overlords?

Ask NBC's most anti-war, pro-union and anti-corporate pundits Phil Donahue, Ed Shultz and Cenk Uger - - - all of whom were fired.
Question authority.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 02 Mar 2017, 12:30

There's calls here in Ireland for facebook to be fined or punished for letting fake news be shown on their site. I have no idea how facebook would regulate that.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 02 Mar 2017, 16:18

The Great Defector wrote:There's calls here in Ireland for facebook to be fined or punished for letting fake news be shown on their site. I have no idea how facebook would regulate that.

I expect Zuckerberg will buy Ireland and give it to Putin to play with.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 02 Mar 2017, 16:29

Rayge wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:There's calls here in Ireland for facebook to be fined or punished for letting fake news be shown on their site. I have no idea how facebook would regulate that.

I expect Zuckerberg will buy Ireland and give it to Putin to play with.

Hmmm the Rooskins might be a bit harder to shift than the brits.............................

Return to “Conspiracyland”