Beyond the 130 - Felt, Denim, Go Kart Mozart

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Re: Beyond the 130 - Felt, Denim, Go Kart Mozart

Postby bhoywonder » 24 Jul 2015, 11:56

You know Lawrence is appearing live at the Barbican's Songs of Lee Hazlewood night? http://www.barbican.org.uk/music/event- ... p?ID=18330

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 24 Jul 2015, 11:58

soundchaser wrote: Felt have no tunes,

You never heard them before, as you said. I've heard all of it, and you are simply wrong. Not that I give a shit about 'tunes' anyway :D

soundchaser wrote:and a piss poor vocalist.
Lloyd Cole, is better in every respect.
These sub-johnny Marr arpeggios, are woefully lightweight.

Opinions. You're welcome. I don't know what an arpeggio is, so can't judge one's weight. But Deebank was a classical guitarist, so maybe he did, and could.

soundchaser wrote:You like this sort of stuff? You're welcome to it.

Very generous dear boy, although I'm not sure what else is included in the 'this sort of stuff' :) .
I'm genuinely sorry if I grumped you out on a Friday morning, but you did bring LC into a Beyond the 130 thread about another band with whom I can see him having nothing in common. I obviously have a different perspective. Allow me to explain. I loved Felt at the time, because of the shattered crystal of the sound of their early 12", allied to a breezy VU-lite song-writing and performing sensibility from Lawrence, and kept faith with them through the decade, although they never really consistently hit those heights again. Contrariwise, I immediately saw the Commotions as essentially formulaic – more craft than art – and lacking in the ineffable ingredient that attracts me to a sound, so I dismissed them and didn't listen to them. Perhaps you liked that formula, or were young enough for it not to appear that way to you (I was in my mid-30s), and I may of course have misjudged them on insufficient evidence, as you apparently did with Felt. So, serious suggestion, perhaps you would like to write a thread about them in the Beyond the 130 series, and explain what it is you like about them.
Alternatively, how about writing in the Justify Yr Love thread about how you came by your taste – which is obviously, both from here and from your posts in the various cups and eleswhere, very different from mine – and what it entails? There's already been a few eye-opening responses, and since it's pissing down in Devon I might get around to weighing in with mine.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 24 Jul 2015, 13:16

Rayge wrote:Alternatively, how about writing in the Justify Yr Love thread about how you came by your taste – which is obviously, both from here and from your posts in the various cups and eleswhere, very different from mine – and what it entails? There's already been a few eye-opening responses, and since it's pissing down in Devon I might get around to weighing in with mine.

Yes, our tastes our very different. You're the fella who doesn't rate the later Beatles, aren't you?

That's a deal breaker for me, right there.

I won't be contributing to the Justify Yr Love thread, cheers.

I'm just over half way through writing a novel. which is partly about my life as a music fan, and that takes up most of my writing energies: BCB is just a light diversion from that, these days.

But I didn't know Felt, thought I'd check them out. Didn't like them.

Denim, don't do anything for me, either, and I was quite interested in buying their album at one point.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 24 Jul 2015, 13:42

soundchaser wrote:Yes, our tastes our very different. You're the fella who doesn't rate the later Beatles, aren't you?

No, I'm a fella who objects to fanboys rewriting my experience of the 60s as a teenager (not getting at you, but this is why I often seem to be overly critical), and who likes odd tracks from throughout the Beatles history, although more after Pepper (which came out around the time my dad died and was vaunted to the skies and overplayed by everyone I know who wasn't into music as I had been, so I can't really be listening to it at all) than before, and virtually nothing that Paul wrote.

Good luck with the novel.

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 24 Jul 2015, 16:28

Rayge wrote:No, I'm a fella who objects to fanboys rewriting my experience of the 60s as a teenager (not getting at you, but this is why I often seem to be overly critical), and who likes odd tracks from throughout the Beatles history, although more after Pepper (which came out around the time my dad died and was vaunted to the skies and overplayed by everyone I know who wasn't into music as I had been, so I can't really be listening to it at all) than before, and virtually nothing that Paul wrote.

Fair enough. Speaking for myself, I was nine when Sgt. Pepper came out. My elder brother bought it, and it was the most exciting thing I'd ever heard. I still feel that way now: it is perfect.

Rayge wrote:Good luck with the novel.

Cheers ;), I appreciate it.
Last edited by soundchaser on 24 Jul 2015, 23:47, edited 2 times in total.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 24 Jul 2015, 16:49

Deebank wrote:I expect most of what you think about Felt is wrong

How very dare you!

I'm still desperate to see the film Lawrence of Belgravia. Almost got to see Go Kart Mozart a couple of years ago in Preston but the gig got pulled because of poor ticket sales.

Let's see the trailer for the film again.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 24 Jul 2015, 17:38

The Prof wrote:
Deebank wrote:I expect most of what you think about Felt is wrong

How very dare you!

Obviously that comment was aimed at the benighted masses, not the enlightened few Prof.

I still haven't seen the film to my great shame.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 24 Jul 2015, 17:54

I don't know how anyone can see it - unless you live in a major UK city where they have fancy music-related film festivals.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 24 Jul 2015, 18:06

There's websites where it says you can watch live streaming but look dodgy. Others are banned by Virgin so I guess they are torrent sites.

der nister

Postby der nister » 24 Jul 2015, 18:07

The Felt albums always felt necessary for the 80s, particularly in the US were they were available hit and miss as imports, but were always something grounded and a bit of fresh air. They had a nice organic musicality during a time when rock became slicker and more popified due to all the new digital effects and synths.

Denim and Co. while interesting, felt arch and unnecessary.
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 15 Jan 2018, 19:55

bump

Return to “Beyond the 130: BCB cult acts”