Beyond the BCB 130 - The Manic Street Preachers

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: Beyond the BCB 130 - The Manic Street Preachers

Postby naughty boy » 08 Apr 2015, 22:30

Does he? Not a bad song, that.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 08 Apr 2015, 22:35

The Prof wrote:Sean Moor one of the youngest ever musicians in the Welsh National Symphony Orchestra, or something like that.

Youngest ever trumpet player in the South Wales Jazz Orchestra apparently, and a classically trained musician.

That should get a few of the jazz frottagers onside. :)
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 08 Apr 2015, 22:36

HOMOPHOBIC BULLY BOY wrote:Does he? Not a bad song, that.

It is just about the most MSP song you could get.

Interesting, melodic, pretentious lyrics

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 08 Apr 2015, 22:43

Moleskin wrote:
Actually chart success for one song can only be compared relative to the other songs in the chart that week. You could look at strings of releases though.

However, even several singles successrd in the 90s is not comparable with the 70s due to different levels of sales in the two periods.

I'd agree, even someone like Oasis had nowhere near the impact of Led Zeppelin, especially in the US.

In the 70s what did a young guy have to follow apart from football and rock music? Well I had by weekly trips to the library as well I suppose.

There are too many distractions competing for people's time these days for rock music to be the all consuming social phenomena it was in the 70s.

Would you say that live music is more vibrant these days? because when you think about big bands in the 70s they were playing relatively small venues and when someone like Floyd sold out Earl's Court it was a big deal.

I went to see first division landfill indie band Hard Fi in Wembley fucking Arena after their second album.

If record sales are way down surely that proves that more people will actually turn up for a live performance than did in the 70s.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 08 Apr 2015, 22:49

jimboo wrote:
Copehead wrote:
The Prof wrote:Their cover versions are usually pretty good and their choices of guest vocalists too.

This was an interesting choice:

German sounds excellent in rock music.

You have only just found this out ? Krautrock revision for you young man

I find Krautrock vocals a bit mannered. I was thinking more in terms of Rammstein.

German vocals suit a certain staccato, strident almost rapping style.

It sounds a bit dangerous and nazi though, despite Rammstein being the complete antithesis of nazi.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 08 Apr 2015, 22:50

Count Machuki wrote:
Guy E wrote:If I was being held prisoner and was forced to choose I would rather hear one of Phil Collins crappy popular albums than sit through a whole CD by Manic Street Preachers. The Hall of Suck awaits them.

Well, we're American, Guy. MSP aren't as good for us because of their lack of American chart success. That's what we get, I guess.

I bought Generation Terrorists as a used CD, listened to it once, thought it sounded like Guns and Roses, and filed it away forever.

That is what is so good about the first album, it sounds like Guns and Roses but with all the twattishness removed.

What red blooded rock fan wouldn't love that?

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 08 Apr 2015, 22:51

Copehead wrote:
Marginally better than the most successful song writer of the 90s.

I'd go along with that.

He is a far better lead guitarist though.

Sean Moore is more than a drummer as well, he was a member of the Welsh Youth Orchestra as a youngster.

He plays the fantastic cornet solo on Kevin Carter.

As always, you deliberately misunderstand and misread my posts.

I said he is a marginally better guitarist than Noel Gallagher. ( who happens to be just about the worst guitarist ever , not counting Paul Weller)

he writes the same tunes as Gallagher, so I suppose he is his equal. Turgid drones and atonal dirges. Hardly the greatest challenge, ( and once again I see you equating success with quality. There really is no connection.)

The drummer is a mediocre drummer. Invisible and forgettable. I am pleased for him that he can play a little cornet. And I am glad that you are so easily impressed.

Just as you are with your politics really.
You don't like me...do you?

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 08 Apr 2015, 22:52

HOMOPHOBIC BULLY BOY wrote:
The German is all wrong anyway. Arseholes

Doubtful as the German is sung by Nina Hoss

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nina_Hoss

Who is a tad German

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 08 Apr 2015, 22:53

HOMOPHOBIC BULLY BOY wrote:'doggie biscuit music'! love it!

Do you know what he means?

It appears to be meaningless.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 08 Apr 2015, 22:55

Copehead wrote:

Who is a tad German

The title
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 08 Apr 2015, 22:59

painted nails wrote:
Copehead wrote:
painted nails wrote:You didn't answer about stadiums. I'm not denying that they have been a major band at some point in their career. That time has gone.

So come on the sell out stadium gigs were......

You have a already started down this important road, I am sure you can find more stadium and similarly sized festival headline spots if you really want to.

I have also showed their album chart positions, which are remarkably consistent.

trying to pretend they are not a major rock band makes you look like an idiot.

please continue.

Looking like an idiot is when you quote me then ignore where I say "I'm not denying they have been a major band" and say that I am pretending they are not a major band.

You even quote yourself where you say they are not a major band so why pretend you have done otherwise?

They are still a major UK rock band. Their last album went to Number 2 in the charts ( Number 1 in some ) and will probably go Gold like most of their other albums.

They are of a comparable size to Radiohead, probably not as big as Coldplay, and those three would be, sadly, dwarfed by an Oasis reformation which is probably pencilled in for next year.

If they had split up 10 years ago and reformed they would probably be selling out the O2 for weeks on end.

But they are releasing albums nearly every year and seem to be constantly on tour constantly which can lead to a certain amount of fan fatigue.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 08 Apr 2015, 23:00

Copehead wrote:

Who is a tad German

The title

If it is good enough for Nina Hoss it should be good enough for you.

Perhaps she was amused by their pigeon German.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 08 Apr 2015, 23:03

This is life and death for you, isn't it?

Don't you think your relentless quoting and attempting to bat away all the attacks is starting to look a bit desperate?

We get that you like them. A couple of others here also think they're OK. But FOR FUCK'S SAKE GIVE IT A FUCKING REST

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 08 Apr 2015, 23:05

yomptepi wrote:
Copehead wrote:
Marginally better than the most successful song writer of the 90s.

I'd go along with that.

He is a far better lead guitarist though.

Sean Moore is more than a drummer as well, he was a member of the Welsh Youth Orchestra as a youngster.

He plays the fantastic cornet solo on Kevin Carter.

As always, you deliberately misunderstand and misread my posts.

I said he is a marginally better guitarist than Noel Gallagher. ( who happens to be just about the worst guitarist ever , not counting Paul Weller)

he writes the same tunes as Gallagher, so I suppose he is his equal. Turgid drones and atonal dirges. Hardly the greatest challenge, ( and once again I see you equating success with quality. There really is no connection.)

The drummer is a mediocre drummer. Invisible and forgettable. I am pleased for him that he can play a little cornet. And I am glad that you are so easily impressed.

Just as you are with your politics really.

I find the idea that they play atonal dirges bizarre, you have obviously never really listened to their music.

Someone appears to have played you something like

once and you decided that was all they did.

Try a little

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 08 Apr 2015, 23:10

For the record they are nowhere near as big as Radiohead and it's nonsense to assume otherwise. Outside of the UK their appeal is equal to zero and has been for at least 15 years now.
I run out of talent

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 08 Apr 2015, 23:12

HOMOPHOBIC BULLY BOY wrote:This is life and death for you, isn't it?

Don't you think your relentless quoting and attempting to bat away all the attacks is starting to look a bit desperate?

We get that you like them. A couple of others here also think they're OK. But ]FOR FUCK'S SAKE GIVE IT A FUCKING REST[

For someone always moaning about people not starting threads and not participating is musical discussion here you can become something of a twat when people don't discuss things you are interested in can't you?

You do yourself no favours with pathetic toy from pram ejection moments like this.

I sometimes wonder if this is the result of drunk loneliness and isolation because it doesn't seem to the action of a well adjusted individual, it isn't life or death for me it is discussing a great British rock band and getting some amusement from the vitriol that that provokes in certain quarters.

If you aren't interested you can leave the thread anytime you want and not come back there is no need to threadcrap it as well so we all know you aren't happy,

I started the thread and I feel it is only polite to answer all the points that people bring up, isn't that what we do?

I still have absolutely no idea what doggie biscuit music is supposed to mean either.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 08 Apr 2015, 23:14

Copehead wrote:

We get that you like them. A couple of others here also think they're OK. But ]FOR FUCK'S SAKE GIVE IT A FUCKING REST[

For someone always moaning about people not starting threads and not participating is musical discussion here you can become something of a twat when people don't discuss things you are interested in can't you?

You do yourself no favours with pathetic toy from pram ejection moments like this.

You sound like your brother - completely and deliberately misinterpreting responses when it doesn't suit your agenda.

Nobody here cares about the band. Let it drop before you start to look like a fucking loonie.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 08 Apr 2015, 23:21

WG Kaspar wrote:For the record they are nowhere near as big as Radiohead and it's nonsense to assume otherwise. Outside of the UK their appeal is equal to zero and has been for at least 15 years now.

Do some research into their comparative UK record sales.

Radiohead have released one album in the last 8 years and it got to Number 7 in the UK charts.

In that time The Manics have released 4 albums with a lowest charting position of 4 and two number 2 albums.

I think you are letting your own prejudices blind you to reality.

I can't believe that Radiohead are pulling in the punters much these days either on album, single or to gigs.

Outside the UK do Radiohead have any profile anymore, King of Limbs didn't set the world alight anywhere? The Manics are reasonably successful across Europe and a big live draw.

If Radiohead came back with a big album with songs on it they may regain a higher standing but at the moment I'd suggest they are pretty moribund in a way the manics aren't, but I fear Thom Yorke has travelled to far up the uncharted regions of his own rectum to come back now.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 08 Apr 2015, 23:27

HOMOPHOBIC BULLY BOY wrote:You sound like your brother

Well I don't think that will come as a shock to anyone.

- completely and deliberately misinterpreting responses when it doesn't suit your agenda.

If you can't have a little fun with people what is there left in life?

How have I upset you now?

The Nina Hoss stuff seems to have set you off but it looks pretty innocuous.

Was it trying to introduce Yompy to the dubious but in no way atonal dirge like pleasures of Miss Europa Disco Dancer?

Nobody here cares about the band. Let it drop before you start to look like a fucking loonie.

Once again you mistake your own narrow and rather hackneyed musical likes for what the whole board cares about.

When did you come to this unhealthy identification of yourself with BCB John?

Me and Prof like The Manics, that is good enough as we are two of the foremost taste setters this board has ever had.

Have you even heard of Bogshed?

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 08 Apr 2015, 23:31

Copehead wrote:

I sometimes wonder if this is the result of drunk loneliness and isolation because it doesn't seem to the action of a well adjusted individual, it isn't life or death for me it is discussing a great British rock band and getting some amusement from the vitriol that that provokes in certain quarters.

If you aren't interested you can leave the thread anytime you want and not come back there is no need to threadcrap it as well so we all know you aren't happy,

I started the thread and I feel it is only polite to answer all the points that people bring up, isn't that what we do?

I still have absolutely no idea what doggie biscuit music is supposed to mean either.

It isn't a mutual discussion, it's you parroting the same old guff time and time again. You don't answer the points anyone brings up, you only pick peoples responses to pieces, obfuscating and misunderstanding as you go along. You just can't let it go, it's wearisome to the extreme, the opposite of politeness.

Here, let me help you out

It isn't a mutual discussion

it's you parroting the same old guff time and time again

You don't answer the points anyone brings up

you only pick peoples responses to pieces

obfuscating

misunderstanding

You just can't let it go

it's wearisome to the extreme

the opposite of politeness.

Knock yourself out.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Return to “Beyond the 130: BCB cult acts”