What it says on the tin.
never/ever

PC21- Round 6 Match 2 *GNDT 7- LMG 8*

Postby never/ever » 21 Apr 2021, 13:42

A

Beggars Opera - Silver Peacock

B

Kevin Ayers - Decadence

Last edited by never/ever on 30 Apr 2021, 11:37, edited 2 times in total.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: PC21- Round 6 Match 2

Postby toomanyhatz » 21 Apr 2021, 17:34

Need to explore Beggar's Opera further as they've appeared here a lot and I'm generally fairly impressed with what I hear. This one's a bit lower on the goofball fun, but it's still well played and fairly engaging.

B is far from my favorite Ayers, and I prefer the albums before and after it to that one in general, but as the Canterbury Haters will be along any minute to act like it's the worst thing ever made, I'm afraid it needs my vote. Sorry A, I'm on a Mission From God.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Purgatory Brite

Postby Purgatory Brite » 21 Apr 2021, 21:42

A

Good Night Austin, Texas

Postby Good Night Austin, Texas » 22 Apr 2021, 17:37

I bought a few Kevin Ayers CD'x years ago thinking i would like him but never play them, this track is okay but goes on to long to hold my attention. Waters Of Change is probably the best Beggars Opera album and this is a great track from it, full of music.

A

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 23 Apr 2021, 02:10

B has that great guitar, but I live for atmospheric prog with lots of mellotron.

A
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 23 Apr 2021, 13:55

The Beggars Opera (no apostrophe) track is a nice pick from a decent album that I only have on an mp3 collection. Nice organ and clear toned guitar.

I have a lot of time for this particular Kevin Ayers album, one of his most slick and polished sounding, and Decadence is the centre piece of side 2 and I love its droning and dreamy mood and those spacey synths drifting in and out.

B

C
Robust

Postby C » 23 Apr 2021, 16:38

trans-chigley express wrote: (no apostrophe)

:lol:

From their second album - a really nice tracked drenched in some delightful mellotron.

Incidentally, Ricky Gardiner whom plays led guitar played guitar on Bowie's Low album.

The first three BO albums are worthy of any prog goon's collection.

I've got a few Ayres albums, including the one, and I think it is one of my faves of his.

I have never quite taken to him but his stuff is robust enough.

This is a nice track with some interesting twists and turns. Trouble it's rather long and takes too long to get going.

Fairly easy for me:

-+A+-

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 23 Apr 2021, 18:44

butbutbut i love both tracks! (bastards.)

oh dear.

i'll hafta come back to this. i need to forage for foodstuffs all of a sudden, suddenly.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 23 Apr 2021, 20:34

okay.

i love both. that beggars track is wunnerful. i remember when i first heard it at a listen, however long ago it was.

and yet...

i have listened to many, many ayres tracks in the course of these cups. while i liked a handful of em, i was never in love with any of em.

i love this one. so i will reward it here.

sorry both can't win, etc. i do mean it, though.

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 23 Apr 2021, 23:44

Ayers is someone I've thought I should enjoy, reading about him ticks many of my boxes. Yet, on listening I'm not grabbed. This hommage to Nico, with VU influences is OK, just doesn't inspire me. Beggars Opera (shouldn't there be an apostrophe?) are making a more appealing, if somewhat generic sound - and coupled with another song put up earlier in this competition does make me want to check them out further.

A

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 24 Apr 2021, 12:52

When A starts playing I suddenly smell patchouli and potpourri when B starts playing I suddenly smell pot....
Bring on the sweet weed!

B
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 24 Apr 2021, 13:39

Having met Kevin, and pretty much detested him (I'm sure he absolutely hated me), its a vote for the the dolphin and dragon obsessed fools with a Doors and Floyd fixation.
A.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 25 Apr 2021, 20:29

A
“Erratic associate member”

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 25 Apr 2021, 20:29

Jumper K wrote:Having met Kevin, and pretty much detested him (I'm sure he absolutely hated me), its a vote for the the dolphin and dragon obsessed fools with a Doors and Floyd fixation.
A.

Tell us more please Frank.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 25 Apr 2021, 23:11

Good match, but...

B
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 26 Apr 2021, 16:38

Neil Jung wrote:
Jumper K wrote:Having met Kevin, and pretty much detested him (I'm sure he absolutely hated me), its a vote for the the dolphin and dragon obsessed fools with a Doors and Floyd fixation.
A.

Kevin Ayers was booked to play a venue near me, in Frome. Erstwhile, and now sadly departed BCBer Zoomboogity was a good friend of Mr Ayers and booked a UK trip to catch up and asked if he could stay with me and go to the event. Of course I said yes but didn’t think he’d sort me a ticket. It all went base over apex from then on. I drove, we had a kebab before and then entered a half empty, well pretty much all empty venue with seating up to the stage. 2 hours of whimsy and at times strained reception and some audience chuntering, it all ended and I was put out of my misery. Or so I thought. Mr Ayers came over, chatted to Richard and then invited us to go back to a local hostelry for a drink and games of pool. He was accompanied by some young acolytes attending to his whims and pandering to, what was evident now, his inflated ego. An hour went by, it became my turn to play the Kevster at pool. I’d noticed that he’d won every game so far and Rich whispered to me that it was expected that I should too. Stone cold sober and 4 hours post kebab didn’t enthuse me to get with the programme. I won, his face was thunder, he refused to shake my hand and I endured another hour or so of being ostracised by all and sundry, sceptical Rich, to his credit.
I realised that he wasn’t in the best of health and that he was a revered musician in his circles but there is no excuse for being a twat. Fuck him.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 26 Apr 2021, 17:06

Jumper K wrote:
Neil Jung wrote:
A.

Kevin Ayers was booked to play a venue near me, in Frome. Erstwhile, and now sadly departed BCBer Zoomboogity was a good friend of Mr Ayers and booked a UK trip to catch up and asked if he could stay with me and go to the event. Of course I said yes but didn’t think he’d sort me a ticket. It all went base over apex from then on. I drove, we had a kebab before and then entered a half empty, well pretty much all empty venue with seating up to the stage. 2 hours of whimsy and at times strained reception and some audience chuntering, it all ended and I was put out of my misery. Or so I thought. Mr Ayers came over, chatted to Richard and then invited us to go back to a local hostelry for a drink and games of pool. He was accompanied by some young acolytes attending to his whims and pandering to, what was evident now, his inflated ego. An hour went by, it became my turn to play the Kevster at pool. I’d noticed that he’d won every game so far and Rich whispered to me that it was expected that I should too. Stone cold sober and 4 hours post kebab didn’t enthuse me to get with the programme. I won, his face was thunder, he refused to shake my hand and I endured another hour or so of being ostracised by all and sundry, sceptical Rich, to his credit.
I realised that he wasn’t in the best of health and that he was a revered musician in his circles but there is no excuse for being a twat. Fuck him.

Wow, what an experience. The late Zoomboogity was a big fan of most things Canterbury. Yomp will no doubt have told you that we saw him (Ayers, not Zoomboogity) supporting 21st Century Schizoid Band at the RFH or somewhere nearby. His guitar was so out of tune it was actually painful! It was bloody awful.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 27 Apr 2021, 03:59

Jumper K wrote:
Neil Jung wrote:
A.

wow interesting story.

I saw Kevin Ayers in 04 with Daevid Allen(univ of Errors) in Seattle. He did about 4 songs with the band. Zoomboogity was there but sadly didn't know him.

A- this is another nice tune from BO. Need to listen to more.

B- classic Kevin Ayers I get the complains but love everything about him.

B

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 27 Apr 2021, 08:13

I think Zoom arranged a tour or something later on and might have released something on his label. Might be wrong though.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 27 Apr 2021, 22:28

B

The Ayers track just inched ahead for me here.
"Nothing would count as a fulfilment in a world in which literally nothing is important but self-fulfilment."

- Charles Taylor

Return to “Other Competitions and Cups”