Prog Cup 2021- Your winner is........!

What it says on the tin.
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Re: Prog Cup 2021- Your winner is........!

Postby kath » 12 Jun 2021, 23:42

never/ever wrote:
kath wrote:
so... when's the next? i'm thinkin october. (coughcoughsplatterhack.)

:::::smack:::::

Well, could be earlier than that.
What would you like next?
70s?
80s?
BCB Cup?

ooo oo ooooo.

being me, i would go in exactly that order.

thinkin about it, i would be just as happy with 70s or 80s.

i suck much more in the general BCB cup. i never got past the second round. i missed almost all of the 90s, and much beyond. (i live in an attic, with a walkman and parachute pants. what.)

but honestly? everybody just pick some damn thing, cuz i LOVE cups. and every last one of ya wants to keep me happy. it's in yer best interest. (she says, trying to get the zippo to light in front of the flamethrower....)

::smack:: maarts. i know the timing is hard for you, but we're about to do stuntman. my happiest synch listen is when we did the tribute to edgar. for fucquin hours, mwhahaa

Cantankerous
Robust

Postby Cantankerous » 13 Jun 2021, 16:02

never/ever wrote:
kath wrote:

70s?
80s?
BCB Cup?

ooooooof Maarts

ooooooof!

Both 70s/80s sound very attractive.

But 70s/80s what - it is very wide....

[not that I'm complaining...!]

Last edited by Cantankerous on 14 Jun 2021, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.
Croan wrote:One thing about the Yanks - they never seriously piddled about in
anything as preposterously pointless as prog.

Cantankerous
Robust

Postby Cantankerous » 13 Jun 2021, 16:04

kath wrote:but honestly? everybody just pick some damn thing, cuz i LOVE cups. and every last one of ya wants to keep me happy. it's in yer best interest.

Indoooob

Croan wrote:One thing about the Yanks - they never seriously piddled about in
anything as preposterously pointless as prog.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 13 Jun 2021, 16:42

Having another full-on Cup so soon with 6+ matches to vote on every week or so might be a big ask (for me anyway).

What about a longer running league system with just a couple of games a week, with a different genre / era for each round of games?

E.g.

Prog
60s
70s
80s
Pop
Soul
21st Century
Etc.

Each player plays each person once, football points system with goal difference. Only those entering can vote. Doesn’t (necessarily) have to be an even number of entrants. If too many (not there is such a thing) involved, make it 2+ leagues with the winners in a Final.

I was thinking about this on the drive home yesterday - but maybe stretching it out too long would result in people losing interest, potentially those languishing at the bottom of the tables(s). No names / points announced until the end of each round of games so it can’t be worked out who the last 2 entries in each round are from, otherwise tactical voting could be an issue!

Makes it longer lasting with less “pressure” to listen and vote in (some of) our busy lives!

But I suspect these things may have been tried / tested / rejected in the past. Just a thought!

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 13 Jun 2021, 21:45

I've got no problem with an ongoing competition rather than a Cup-format. I like a mix of styles too, although I think a few people may be more comfortable with a set decade or style.

I do think though that giving people a full week for listening to a few ties should be enough. I expanded a couple of rounds even to get some more votes in. This Prog Cup took over two months to complete, fortunately it didn't require much in the time of work.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 14 Jun 2021, 00:29

kath wrote:
never/ever wrote:
kath wrote:

70s?
80s?
BCB Cup?

ooo oo ooooo.

being me, i would go in exactly that order.

thinkin about it, i would be just as happy with 70s or 80s.

i suck much more in the general BCB cup. i never got past the second round. i missed almost all of the 90s, and much beyond. (i live in an attic, with a walkman and parachute pants. what.)

but honestly? everybody just pick some damn thing, cuz i LOVE cups. and every last one of ya wants to keep me happy. it's in yer best interest. (she says, trying to get the zippo to light in front of the flamethrower....)

::smack:: maarts. i know the timing is hard for you, but we're about to do stuntman. my happiest synch listen is when we did the tribute to edgar. for fucquin hours, mwhahaa

Have we ever done an 80's cup? That would be fun.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Return to “Other Competitions and Cups”