4. The Lilac Time - Let This Land Be The One link
5. Culture - The International Herb link
6. Klaus Schulze - Freeze link
7. Blondie - Union City Blue link
8. The Associates - Skipping link
9. Psychick Warriors Ov Gaia - Obsidian link
10. Randy Newman - Dayton Ohio 1903 link
11. Rain Tree Crow - Blackwater link
Last edited by never/ever on 07 Aug 2022, 10:06, edited 2 times in total.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: BCB Cup 2022 Round 2 Match 4

Postby The Modernist » 30 Jul 2022, 07:43

I like the original lists about equally, with a leaning towards B which seemed more exploratory and surprising.
I'm afraid the balance has well and truly shifted with the additional three though which now sees one list race away to victory.
People forget how much hippie nonsense was around in the early 90s and the Psychick track embodies that, at least The Orb had good basslines and a sense of humour. I found the Newman just dull, you're either moved by his thing or you're not and I'm not. I did enjoy the autumnal drift of the RTC track, but it did need a livelier pick after the previous two selections.
A goes for more direct, visceral hits. Good JBs (if not them at their best as the track rather peters out), a really refreshing, jolting Undertones track and one of my favourite Bowie songs.

An easy A

Purgatory Brite

Postby Purgatory Brite » 30 Jul 2022, 09:24

B

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 30 Jul 2022, 16:41

B
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 30 Jul 2022, 17:16

Both really great lists - would take some effort to beat either.

Although A's new three are a touch more 'obvious', they're also much stronger than B's choices which don't have a great deal of charm.

A
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 31 Jul 2022, 11:19

I will always love The JB's because they saved my bacon back in 89. I had about a month to put together a 'bill' for the Freshers' Ball and had managed to book The Bodines (on the strength of C86 'classic' Therese) and some shit SAW act that was only included as a favour to the record company (one that was never returned, natch). I was panicking and contemplating booking as headliners (as seen elsewhere in this competition) Osibisa (who?) or a band whose sole claim to fame was that they played with a 12 ft statue of Buddha behind them - I did not want to go the route of a Blues Brothers type thing or Dredd Zeppelin or any of that cobblers, I wanted something 'real'. Desperate times. Then out of the blue an older lady called Chessie called and mentioned she was touting The JB's - it was hard not to sound too keen. And they only wanted £1500! Lovely guys, bless them - couldn't understand a word they said but total gents (Maceo, Fred, Pee Wee and Hazi plus pick-up backing band from South London). Once they were on board everyone wanted in! I got local jazz DJ Russ Dangleberry* to do the 'disco' (*Russ Dewberry). All in all a great success. The JB's subsidised the following year of underperforming second rate indie bands at the poly's Basement club.

That's my JB's anecdote... Now I've forgotten what I was going to say :x

Ah yes, in addition to the JB's, you can't argue with The Undertones and Zavid (although he appears to have stolen Cilla Black's barnet). That said this song goes some way to demonstrating why he failed to make it pre Space Oddity.

The PWOG tune proves that nothing good ever came out of the Temple ov Psychick Youth. Anything by Randy Newman always needs a montage of Woody and Buzz clips with it to my mind and the Rain Tree Crow tune was nice and as atmospheric as expected from Mr S but not great as such...

A
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 31 Jul 2022, 15:12

Russ Dewberry was an absolute legend (..I'm putting it in the past tense because my clubbing days are long behind me, not because he's dead!), he introduced me to so much over the years.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 31 Jul 2022, 19:40

The Modernist wrote:Russ Dewberry was an absolute legend (..I'm putting it in the past tense because my clubbing days are long behind me, not because he's dead!), he introduced me to so much over the years.

I admit I wasn’t keen on the idea of Dangleberry DJing the ball but, fair play, he rose to the occasion - ie he didn’t bore everyone to tears with lots of shitty contemporary jazzy bollocks. And he did the gig for nothing too because he wanted to see the JB’s so I have no complaints.

I had visions of him playing wall to wall JTQ.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 31 Jul 2022, 22:09

A is getting stronger, B is getting weaker. Not huge on the Bowie choice - he was pretty ordinary in the 60s all told - but the Undertones pick is a good one, and it's got more continuity. B is a bit TOO eclectic, if that's possible, though I admire the nerve in picking Newman 'round these parts.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 01 Aug 2022, 17:32

Quirky cannon choices for A which don't really work.

Nowt wrong with Randy Newman.

b.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 01 Aug 2022, 19:20

The Deerhoof really was a "Please make it stop" choice for me. A does seem to like unusual voices, I have a fairly high threshold (Deerhoof track excepted) Katy B Pearson and Sharon Van Etten both fine but have to wonder how much is just in the vocal styling. You cpuld argue the Bangles v S&G debate carries over here with Different DRum. I'd probably go for Nes but this is a great version, almost made for Ronstadt's voice. I commend B for the Randy Newman which is great but I think RN has proven to be a BCB vote loser. Could maybe say the same for Stephen Duffy but I like the Lilac Time just fine. Blondie and Associates still great but I really didn' like PWOG or KLaus Schulze at all and the Cockney Rebel was laughably bad (sorry), Pretty close but then the cavalry come riding over the hill in the form of The Contours which is great really great, so.....

A
We're way past rhubarb

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 02 Aug 2022, 03:12

A is mostly very enjoyable, but I'll reward B for being uncommercial and they're probably going to lose anyway.

B
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 02 Aug 2022, 11:34

Think i voted for both of these in Rnd 1, and like the initial group of tunes quite a bit for both. A's additions may not offer any real surprises, but i can't deny that they're more up my street in the end. The RTC from B is the only addition that i quite enjoyed, sorry B.

A
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 03 Aug 2022, 00:57

A's choices are more obvious, but they're also the better songs.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 03 Aug 2022, 14:51

I liked list A in the first round, it was an interesting and varied mix. The extras continue in that vein but The Undertones track leaves me underwhelmed and early David Bowie is little more than a curio for me. On the upside the JB's track was great, just a shame it faded out too soon, it could easily have gone on for longer.

B was one of my favourite lists from round 1 and the addition of Rain Tree Crow was very welcome but the Randy Newman didn't appeal much. It was brave to put a 20 minute track in this kind of list competition but I found Obsidian interesting enough with a solid percussive groove. I was hoping it would develop into something more than it did but I still enjoyed that big slab of hippy nonsense.

B remains strong enough to take this.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 03 Aug 2022, 16:15

I voted for A last time round, but they've blown it utterly with their new three - well, the JBs and The Dame. B, however, has Cacky Rabble in the middle, so I look around for my nose peg and vote

a
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 04 Aug 2022, 10:48

A's additions are solid with a fine Bowie-pick and the very reliable JBs (really need to get that album). Haven't listened to the Warriors Of Gaia in aeons! Bit disappointed with RTC- of all the Sylvian/Japan-tracks out there choosing this rather maudlin track's a bit sad.

A
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 04 Aug 2022, 13:29

I liked several on A and not much on B. A has the Pearson, Contours, Ronstadt, Undertones, JBs along with a few misses, most notably Deerhoof and the Bowie. I really didn't like much on B and the new tracks really didn't help their cause. The Newman was boring and I didn't make all the way through the 20 minute Obsidian, also boring.

A

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 06 Aug 2022, 10:33

Tossed.... B
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 07 Aug 2022, 07:49

B

Return to “The Official BCB Cup”