cup 11 -thoughts..

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Re: cup 11 -thoughts..

Postby Loki » 28 Feb 2011, 03:10

I see your point but I have to agree with GB - isn't the whole point of adding 5 to.....um, like, well isn't part of the idea to make it all flow together, or some crap like that?

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Qube

Postby Qube » 28 Feb 2011, 11:01

The tie-breakers are fine if you ask me, it might be annoying if you voted for one list in the first match and feel like you want to vote for that same person in the tie-breaker. But it's a bit like football, sometimes one team can ge battered during 90 minutes an extra time but then do the business in a penalty shoot-out.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 28 Feb 2011, 12:41

I seem to have voted twice in tie-breakers against lists I wholeheartedly supported. So I think tie-breakers suck.
Possible solution- letting the draw continue and when there are more tie-breakers to be decided in that round, at the end of it pitch a tied list against one of the other tied lists.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 28 Feb 2011, 12:43

They're a perfectly reasonable way to settle the tie if you ask me.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Feb 2011, 13:25

I cannot believe that people are SO anal they believe they recognise the tie breakers lists as belonging to either A or B from the original tie? I mean, seriously, get a fucking life you dullards.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 28 Feb 2011, 13:31

Diamond Dog wrote:I cannot believe that people are SO anal they believe they recognise the tie breakers lists as belonging to either A or B from the original tie? I mean, seriously, get a fucking life you dullards.

Mwa...it helps if the manager discloses which list it was that gets outed and you decide to check on it....or if you see the crap-five additions to the winning list in the next round.... :roll:
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 28 Feb 2011, 14:33

To avoid any more conflict over the tie-breakers, I say we start the Cup all over again.

I'll be PM-ing my original ten to the masked man shortly.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Feb 2011, 14:41

never/ever wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:I cannot believe that people are SO anal they believe they recognise the tie breakers lists as belonging to either A or B from the original tie? I mean, seriously, get a fucking life you dullards.

Mwa...it helps if the manager discloses which list it was that gets outed and you decide to check on it....or if you see the crap-five additions to the winning list in the next round.... :roll:

:?:

This is in English, yes?
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 28 Feb 2011, 14:42

LeBaron wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:What about if both new fives are shit so you wanna vote for the list you did before but you don't know which is which? This is exactly what happened earlier on in the cup so I voted for, what I thought, was the five which corresponded to the original but who knows which list I voted for.

Don't vote. The original list no longer deserves the vote if it can't hang in the tie-breaker.

That's a tad harsh. A list I support can still post a new five I'm not so keen on or that's inferior to its opponents but I still want to vote as I don't go in for abstaining. In Balboa's tie his opponents new five were a bit better so I voted for them but overall Balboa's list was more to my taste so that's where I wanted my vote to go, however, now I realise my vote was effectively wasted and he's now out. Some people vote in the tie breaks based purely on the new five, fair enough, but others clearly check back to see which list the five belong to then vote accordingly.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 28 Feb 2011, 15:47

But it was was easy to recognise which Balbao's list was. I had a real quandary in that I really liked both, but I think it's in the spirit of the competition to judge the new five.
Do we really want whole lists being repeated?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 28 Feb 2011, 15:53

The Modernist wrote:But it was was easy to recognise which Balbao's list was. I had a real quandary in that I really liked both, but I think it's in the spirit of the competition to judge the new five.

I don't think it was actually. They both coulda been Balboa's hence my confusion. I just want the extra five to correspond to the original A and B lists, that's all.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 28 Feb 2011, 16:35

Goat Boy wrote:
The Modernist wrote:But it was was easy to recognise which Balbao's list was. I had a real quandary in that I really liked both, but I think it's in the spirit of the competition to judge the new five.

I don't think it was actually. They both coulda been Balboa's hence my confusion. I just want the extra five to correspond to the original A and B lists, that's all.

I assumed it was his because of Steely Dan. I don't know why it was originally decided to ascribe the A and B's at random, I suppose the idea is to judge the new fives on their own merits. But I wouldn't have any objection if it was decided to keep the lists to the letter they had in their original tie.

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 28 Feb 2011, 19:23

Well since I just got dumped out in a tie - I think they are just fine. The challenge is that those 5 songs then go through to your next round which means there is nothing new in your list. Whether you think this affects peoples' judgement is a moot point I guess, but I think it does make a list look a little tired in comparison to one with 5 new tracks in it. I think it only right that people vote on what is in front of them, not the original lists. And for the record, I thought the other 5 in my tie were splendid choices (apart from the Supergrass cut) and more than deserving of the win. (As an afterthought, it might be fun to do the tie as just one track vs one track with a youtube clip for each - and then that track doesn't carry forward to the rest of the list).

As I said on the other thread - over 100 votes across the whole thing and 1 vote to seperate the two lists - great stuff!

Re. the cup in general - I do think we should revisit the format. It has been 5 years now? It wouldn't do any harm to think about how it might be freshened up. I do think we get the same drop after the first few rounds, plus it can be incredibly difficult to spend the time on each list as you get to 15 tracks for each. I don't have the answer though - maybe group stages a la Champions League?! The group of death would be fun!!

And great job to the Masked Man for running this thing.
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 28 Feb 2011, 23:08

I haven't been in a tie breaker yet, but I think I'd rather stand or fall on the strength of five songs, than put all my eggs in one basket through just the one.
I think you'd get people playing very safe if they could only have one choice.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 28 Feb 2011, 23:43

What about paring the original lists down to three songs for the tie-breaker? Put what you think are your three best songs of the original list up against what the other poster thinks are his three best.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 01 Mar 2011, 00:36

Count Machuki wrote:What about paring the original lists down to three songs for the tie-breaker? Put what you think are your three best songs of the original list up against what the other poster thinks are his three best.

That's the best suggestion so far as it would give people a chance to highlight what they think is great about their list. Mind you I don't know why we're so desperate to change things, I think the tie breaks have worked fine to be honest.

However the above suggestion would stop the repetition of the fives which have lead to some comments that it makes lists look stale before their time. Whatever changes we decide upon should wait till next year though, I don't think you can change the rules halfway through.
Last edited by The Modernist on 01 Mar 2011, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 01 Mar 2011, 00:38

The only issue I have with tie breaks is that the new 5 should correspond to the original list, that's all.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 01 Mar 2011, 00:40

I'm running out of songs, kick me out already.
king of the divan

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 01 Mar 2011, 00:42

mentalist (slight return) wrote:I'm running out of songs, kick me out already.

You can have some of my mine, I probably won't need them much longer.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 01 Mar 2011, 00:50

The Modernist wrote:
mentalist (slight return) wrote:I'm running out of songs, kick me out already.

You can have some of my mine, I probably won't need them much longer.

Stop being coy. Your list is doing Ok.

Return to “2011 BCB Cup”