cup 11 -thoughts..

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Re: cup 11 -thoughts..

Postby Nikki Gradual » 25 Feb 2011, 20:57

I got stuck in a meeting and missed voting for the lists that closed tonight. Sorry. :oops:
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 26 Feb 2011, 17:03

Goat Boy wrote:
the masked man wrote:Yeah, I know. Initially he or she tried to vote before getting approved, and I discounted those votes as this was not yet a full member of the board. Since approval, I have accepted the votes from Special Sauce in good faith, but I'm well aware that this could be an alias - but I don't really want to believe someone would be desperate enough to create an alias just to skew the voting in the BCB Cup.

Whatever, the truth, it would be nice if this Special Sauce character could introduce themselves to the board properly.

I think it's dodgy.

Me too. Just checked the posting record and nothing other than "A" or "B" has been submitted. The only thing that stops me from thinking he/she is definitely an alias is that surely no-one is so sad as to create one merely to aid their Cup chances. Having said that, given some of the whining this year...

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 27 Feb 2011, 03:46

Fortunately I don't think this 'special sauce' poster hasn't affected the outcome of any of the matches but it does look fishy. If Jethro gave a shit about the BCB Cup and SS's vote did tip the balance, I would ask him to trace the IP address.

Maybe we can get Jimbo on the case?
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 27 Feb 2011, 11:34

Tiebreakers. Do A and B correspond with the A and B of the drawn tie? So do you try and work out who is who? Shouldn't really I suppose. Just judge the five on their own merits. But then you could end up voting against a list you originally favoured. Tricky.

There's something wrong with the way we do tiebreakers. I dont know what it is though :? .

BlueMeanie

Postby BlueMeanie » 27 Feb 2011, 11:36

whodathunkit wrote:Tiebreakers. Do A and B correspond with the A and B of the drawn tie? So do you try and work out who is who? Shouldn't really I suppose. Just judge the five on their own merits. But then you could end up voting against a list you originally favoured. Tricky.

There's something wrong with the way we do tiebreakers. I dont know what it is though :? .

I was wondering this myself. It could be that you're not over fond of a new 5, but the original list is still good enough to make you vote for it. But how would you know?
Betty Denim wrote:The first time I saw a strange man's cock was in a queue for a Belgian breakfast buffet.

GoogaMooga wrote:I do have standards.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Feb 2011, 11:45

When does round 4 begin? Tonight?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 27 Feb 2011, 11:47

Of course, in the next round they'll be reunited with their original list. By which time you'll be bored with them and end up voting for the other bugger.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 27 Feb 2011, 16:47

whodathunkit wrote:Of course, in the next round they'll be reunited with their original list. By which time you'll be bored with them and end up voting for the other bugger.

That's true.

The déjà-vu effect indeed works against the tie-break winner.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 27 Feb 2011, 17:18

whodathunkit wrote:Tiebreakers. Do A and B correspond with the A and B of the drawn tie? So do you try and work out who is who? Shouldn't really I suppose. Just judge the five on their own merits. But then you could end up voting against a list you originally favoured. Tricky.

For the record, A & B do not necessarily correspond to the original A & B. I assign the position of 'A' to the first of the two PMs I notice without reference to the original tie.

Some good points about the deficiencies with the current tie-break situation, though. The question is, can anyone suggest anything better?

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 27 Feb 2011, 18:15

the masked man wrote:Some good points about the deficiencies with the current tie-break situation, though. The question is, can anyone suggest anything better?

Naked mud wrestling.

Logistics may be tricky
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Feb 2011, 18:51

the masked man wrote:

For the record, A & B do not necessarily correspond to the original A & B. I assign the position of 'A' to the first of the two PMs I notice without reference to the original tie.

Some good points about the deficiencies with the current tie-break situation, though. The question is, can anyone suggest anything better?

I assumed they did correspond and I can't be the only one thinking that. Surely the whole list should be shown?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 27 Feb 2011, 20:19

Having lost in a tiebreak, I think there's something wrong with it, too. In my match, A and B were reversed from our original order, and I had about three non-work hours to come up with my next five. It's all part of the game, I suppose, but it sucks bad to lose in a tie-breaker.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Feb 2011, 22:29

I think it's bollocks. Surely we are judging the whole list complete with new 5 not just the new 5?

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 28 Feb 2011, 01:40

Goat Boy wrote:I think it's bollocks. Surely we are judging the whole list complete with new 5 not just the new 5?

Are we still talking about tie-breaks?

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 28 Feb 2011, 01:43

I don't know why tie-breaks have suddenly become contentious. We've had them every year since the tournament began.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 28 Feb 2011, 01:53

But shouldn't it be clear which new five go with each list?

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 28 Feb 2011, 02:28

Goat Boy wrote:But shouldn't it be clear which new five go with each list?

No. Why?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 28 Feb 2011, 02:34

What about if both new fives are shit so you wanna vote for the list you did before but you don't know which is which? This is exactly what happened earlier on in the cup so I voted for, what I thought, was the five which corresponded to the original but who knows which list I voted for.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC done with Jakarta and Hiroshima - currently hiding in Switzerland!

Postby Matty Red Sox » 28 Feb 2011, 02:34

LeBaron wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:But shouldn't it be clear which new five go with each list?

No. Why?

I think that knowing which tracks go with which list would be helpful, although it could lead to tie breakers being tied.
the Eagles suck.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 28 Feb 2011, 02:40

Goat Boy wrote:What about if both new fives are shit so you wanna vote for the list you did before but you don't know which is which? This is exactly what happened earlier on in the cup so I voted for, what I thought, was the five which corresponded to the original but who knows which list I voted for.

Don't vote. The original list no longer deserves the vote if it can't hang in the tie-breaker.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Return to “2011 BCB Cup”