cup 11 -thoughts..

The Modernist

Re: cup 11 -thoughts..

Postby The Modernist » 04 Mar 2011, 18:18

Nolamike wrote:
the masked man wrote:There's also another question here. What happens when the tie-break match is also drawn? I don't think this has ever happened before, although one of this year's replays was settled by a single vote. Maybe, if this did happen, we could use five new songs that won't go forward to the next round?

In that case, it might be neat to do only have a three song list, or even one song v. one song.

But it gets boring having to keep sending songs. How about a boxing match?

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 04 Mar 2011, 19:24

The Modernist wrote:
Nolamike wrote:
the masked man wrote:There's also another question here. What happens when the tie-break match is also drawn? I don't think this has ever happened before, although one of this year's replays was settled by a single vote. Maybe, if this did happen, we could use five new songs that won't go forward to the next round?

In that case, it might be neat to do only have a three song list, or even one song v. one song.

I choose "The Boxer" Simon & Garfunkel.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 05 Mar 2011, 02:04

Diamond Dog wrote:
it's a fucking awful idea. It kind of negates the idea of posting coherent lists, in the first place, and - anyway- how can a person choose which three? Presumably they would be able to post hundreds of songs they consider great - why would they be able to just pick three and say, that's the best three.

Disagree. Why wouldn't they be able to choose 3 faves off a list of ten? If you can pick ten original songs, then.....I guess I don't get what you're saying.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 05 Mar 2011, 02:10

The Modernist wrote:
Nolamike wrote:

It's GO time!

I like what Mike said too (Cue DD).

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 09 Mar 2011, 19:46

So no one's thinking that if lists are tied perhaps a new pairing of the ex-aequo-lists at the end of the current round is a good idea?
I find myself picking one list over another and wondering if the losing list would fare better if it was grouped together with another one. Seems like a reasonable idea then to do that instead of a play-off which merely is a gamble.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 09 Mar 2011, 19:55

never/ever wrote:So no one's thinking that if lists are tied perhaps a new pairing of the ex-aequo-lists at the end of the current round is a good idea?
I find myself picking one list over another and wondering if the losing list would fare better if it was grouped together with another one. Seems like a reasonable idea then to do that instead of a play-off which merely is a gamble.

:?:
I haven't a clue what you're suggesting here -can anyone help? :)

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 09 Mar 2011, 20:10

Simple.

All the ties that end in a draw get replayed at the end of the round but the pairings will be different. This will work if the number of draws is an even number per round.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 09 Mar 2011, 20:17

never/ever wrote:Simple.

All the ties that end in a draw get replayed at the end of the round but the pairings will be different. This will work if the number of draws is an even number per round.

ah..I see.
As you say it would only work if there were even numbers. I wouldn't object to that, but more because I'm quite open for any kind of change. However we should remember that such discussion is a little premature as any changes won't be enacted until next year, so perhaps that's the time for the debate (not that I'm attemptiing to shut anybody up..I'm happy to chew the cud on this stuff).

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 09 Mar 2011, 23:40

Let's have the tie-breakers be album selections. Pick 5 albums to be used just in the tie-break.

That keeps existing lists from getting stale, allows people to save up their song selections, and adds a new level of strategy to the game.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 15 Mar 2011, 18:24

This is my first cup, and I find that now that we have reached the semi's, that the lists are too long to judge properly, but still I try to vote.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 19 Mar 2011, 11:09

Next year we should have a secret ballot. :lol:

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 19 Mar 2011, 12:40

Can I ask, up to what time of day can finals votes be cast ?
And is Saturday or Sunday the last day ?
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 19 Mar 2011, 13:02

You've got till about 7pm to vote.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 19 Mar 2011, 16:15

Yes, voting goes on until 7pm GMT tonight.

Return to “2011 BCB Cup”