Bitter Recriminations 2011 - A New Dawn

The Modernist

Re: Bitter Recriminations 2011 - A New Dawn

Postby The Modernist » 08 Feb 2011, 22:49

Matty Red Sox wrote:All Dai needed was a simple Who song along the lines of A Legal Matter or The Good's Gone and he'd be on to round three... poor literate bastard.

Those kind of calculating choices are increasingly getting found out! ;)
Besides he may not even care for The Who.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 09 Feb 2011, 10:52

Clint Planet wrote:Nope, none the wiser, I'm afraid.

You voted for me, remember?
That's why you're not on the shitlist.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

mission

Postby mission » 09 Feb 2011, 13:32

I love Leg of Lamb.

It is my contention that list B in his tie is the work of a prog goon who submitted an all-female list a few years back. An all-female list that was spectacularly poorly chosen - the wrong tunes from a list of women performers hurriedly gleaned from a few back issues of a music magazine; the kind of thing someone who is doing it for a wind-up would concoct.

The all-black list has a higher proportion of good tunes than the all-women one but is starting to swerve dangerously past the limits of its author's actual knowledge.

That said - and I am happy to be proven wrong (well, that's a cliche and merely said for formality's sake - I actually would hate to be wrong) - Leg of Lamb's musical taste is not my own.

Reggae is mission kryptonite. I wish for a Horse Badorties-style listening helmet for unintended reggae exposure.
Goodness gracious me.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC done with Jakarta and Hiroshima - currently hiding in Switzerland!

Postby Matty Red Sox » 09 Feb 2011, 17:38

mission wrote:I love Leg of Lamb.

It is my contention that list B in his tie is the work of a prog goon who submitted an all-female list a few years back. An all-female list that was spectacularly poorly chosen - the wrong tunes from a list of women performers hurriedly gleaned from a few back issues of a music magazine; the kind of thing someone who is doing it for a wind-up would concoct.

The all-black list has a higher proportion of good tunes than the all-women one but is starting to swerve dangerously past the limits of its author's actual knowledge.

That said - and I am happy to be proven wrong (well, that's a cliche and merely said for formality's sake - I actually would hate to be wrong) - Leg of Lamb's musical taste is not my own.

Reggae is mission kryptonite. I wish for a Horse Badorties-style listening helmet for unintended reggae exposure.

You are Jimbo, and I claim my five pounds!
the Eagles suck.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 10 Feb 2011, 09:42

Well just like Never/Ever I feel it only appropriate to share the contents of my fridge.

Unfortunately I've just checked and all I have is some champagne and a pineapple.

35 of you will be invited to share the chmpagne in celebration of your fine musical taste. The remaining 41 will draw lots for the pineapple, which I should point out will be inserted sideways,
We're way past rhubarb

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 10 Feb 2011, 10:11

35 and one bottle of champagne?
Have you got enough thimbles?
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Cantankerous
Robust

Postby Cantankerous » 10 Feb 2011, 10:35

Croan wrote:One thing about the Yanks - they never seriously piddled about in
anything as preposterously pointless as prog.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 10 Feb 2011, 21:52

So you’ve done it. You’ve got what you’ve wanted. I’ve been beaten; I’m out of the way. Out of sight, out of mind. I’m out of the cup. I’m sure you’re happy now, BCB. Happy that you’ve put such a limp, premature end to my plans, to my hopelessly romantic, quixotic dream. You have spurned my list.

But I shouldn’t call it a list, should I? That would demean it; claw it down to the level of the rest of your paltry selections, your micromanaged, lustreless, hackneyed and tiresome mixes. Party bags from a child with stingy parents; chocolate boxes with only the boring solid ones left.

Mine was not a list. Mine was an experience: a glorious, sweeping hymn to all that is great in music. It was my magnum opus. My child – I shall call it so, I shall not be ashamed – was sensual, subtle, stirring, supple, and all kinds of other handily alliterative epithets. It had grace, it had flair, it had beauty and colour. Look through it, savour it, drown yourself in it: you will not regret it. It represented more than just a selection of songs: such banalities I leave to the rest of you. This represented feeling; it represented power and honesty and sensitivity and sweetness. It was a masterpiece, deft and richly detailed. Each track complemented its companions; each track added its own special fascination and joy: the impression is not of stepping through a list but rather of sliding, serpentlike, through an intricately detailed, stunningly beautiful tapestry: the tracks were not there as individual entities but as part of the whole, subsumed into its overwhelming, life-affirming wonder.

This is what you have wrought, BCB: you have destroyed this beauty with your own ignorance and caprice. This is what you have robbed yourselves of, this heartfelt, Daedal prodigy. You have forsaken beauty and magic for tedium; offered heaven, you have preferred the everyday.

And everyday you will get: you actively chose it. You chose list A: the great deceiver, a cheap, gaudy lie. You chose a list which sucked you in with mummery and falsehood. It told you it came from leftfield and you believed it; you fell for its sneaky, slatternly glitter. It had Joyce, it had Neu!, and it had The Easybeats.

Yet we all do: I used Neu! last year, and every year they crop up somewhere. The Easybeats provided ‘Sorry’, its generic riffery proved among the weakest of Nuggets II picks by the synch-listen just a fortnight ago: hardly new, hardly exciting, hardly original: one poster pointed out that he’d used the same track last year and, again, I myself used an Easybeats track two or three seasons ago. And Joyce? Token Brazilian selection. Everyone talks about her. Yet she lacks the fizz and fun of Rita Lee, she spurns Rita’s flamboyant eclecticism for polite, already-dated tropicália. A mirrors my own choices, and finds itself wanting. It goes for something modern, something with sex, and what does it pick? Jhelisa Anderson; Jhelisa Anderson and her bland, acceptable trip-hop-lite. Yet you voted for her! You voted for her over, say, Mr Fingers; Mr Fingers and ’Can You Feel It’, a track which burns: even its name is erotic. There should be no choice: gorgeous, echoing, sensuous groove, or a woman dancing carefully around her own coffee table? Anderson is the DFS catalogue to Mr Fingers’ Victoria’s Secret; list A’s dogs playing poker an ashamed, vacuous counterpart to my list’s Sistine Chapel.

And you voted for it, you fools. You voted for it, because it wanted you to and because it begged you to. It had The Rolling Stones, it had The Kinks, it had The Lovin’ Spoonful, it had Jimmy Cliff, it had Gladys Knight, it had a token jazz and a token hip-hop track and it had Curtis Fucking Mayfield. Curtis Mayfield! Curtis If-Any-Artist-Embodies-Predictability-in-the-BCB-Cup-It’s-Me Mayfield. And it had Pere Fucking Ubu. It didn’t even have Pere Ubu in its first ten: it picked Pere Ubu, the most overused, overfamiliar band in the history of the fucking cup, in its second round five. The point at which most lists start to develop their personality, start to look for those surprising or inspiring tracks, start throwing in the ones which it knows might be a big risk, and list A throws in Pere-Fucking-BCB-Cup-All-Stars-Ubu.

And you fucking voted for it. You voted for it because you have no imagination, because you can’t use your brain. Because you were fooled by its heavyhanded, nothing-to-see-here nods to the world of music outside The Big Book of BCB Cup Clichés. You were idiots. You thought to criticize me because I picked ‘Use Me’: you thought that because two – two! Out of ninety-five! – other lists had chosen it, there must be some conspiracy. You didn’t think Withers was an artist who’d been discussed on BCB in the past year and had inspired new fans, no, you thought that three people had colluded to all use the same fucking song because for some stupid fucking reason they thought it might increase their chances of winning.

You feeble fucking morons. You don’t deserve my list: you don’t deserve ‘Fotheringay’ and ‘Dancing Girl’ with their delectable prettiness, and you don’t deserve the playful, electric ‘Uncontrollable Urge’, the unstoppable raunch of ‘Fairchild’ or the style and brains of ‘Street Life’. You should be fucking ashamed to be in the same fucking room as the gorgeous ‘Ocean’ or ‘Just Once in My Life’, as close as popular music has come to divinity. It disgusts me that I even considered allowing such ungrateful, helpless worms as you to experience this. My failing was in expecting you to appreciate it: you never could. Your minds just can’t cope. You should be kneeling and weeping before my list. Instead, you turn away in fear, confusion and dumb, animal stupidity.

My exit has proved one thing: my tastes are not those of BCB. And this, itself, has proved something else, something I know I can take with me and cling to as I leave the competition: by voting against me you have not destroyed or weakened me. You have done quite the opposite. You have strengthened me, proved for once and for all the thing I always thought I knew: my taste is clearly miles, miles better than yours.

You bunch of wankers.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 10 Feb 2011, 21:58

Sorry, what? I fell asleep during the first paragraph.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 10 Feb 2011, 22:03

Harvey K-Tel wrote:Sorry, what? I fell asleep during the first paragraph.

That was only the preface! :x
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Billy

Postby Billy » 10 Feb 2011, 22:04

oh blimey, there you go, I'm out ... is that the sort of thing you chaps want? :? you rotters and trolley dashers

Duncan

Postby Duncan » 10 Feb 2011, 22:31

I was so afraid of Penk's list that I voted against it even when I thought I was voting for it.
Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb...

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 10 Feb 2011, 23:16

Penk Ahoy! wrote:So you’ve done it. You’ve got what you’ve wanted. I’ve been beaten; I’m out of the way. Out of sight, out of mind. I’m out of the cup. I’m sure you’re happy now, BCB. Happy that you’ve put such a limp, premature end to my plans, to my hopelessly romantic, quixotic dream. You have spurned my list.

But I shouldn’t call it a list, should I? That would demean it; claw it down to the level of the rest of your paltry selections, your micromanaged, lustreless, hackneyed and tiresome mixes. Party bags from a child with stingy parents; chocolate boxes with only the boring solid ones left.

Mine was not a list. Mine was an experience: a glorious, sweeping hymn to all that is great in music. It was my magnum opus. My child – I shall call it so, I shall not be ashamed – was sensual, subtle, stirring, supple, and all kinds of other handily alliterative epithets. It had grace, it had flair, it had beauty and colour. Look through it, savour it, drown yourself in it: you will not regret it. It represented more than just a selection of songs: such banalities I leave to the rest of you. This represented feeling; it represented power and honesty and sensitivity and sweetness. It was a masterpiece, deft and richly detailed. Each track complemented its companions; each track added its own special fascination and joy: the impression is not of stepping through a list but rather of sliding, serpentlike, through an intricately detailed, stunningly beautiful tapestry: the tracks were not there as individual entities but as part of the whole, subsumed into its overwhelming, life-affirming wonder.

This is what you have wrought, BCB: you have destroyed this beauty with your own ignorance and caprice. This is what you have robbed yourselves of, this heartfelt, Daedal prodigy. You have forsaken beauty and magic for tedium; offered heaven, you have preferred the everyday.

And everyday you will get: you actively chose it. You chose list A: the great deceiver, a cheap, gaudy lie. You chose a list which sucked you in with mummery and falsehood. It told you it came from leftfield and you believed it; you fell for its sneaky, slatternly glitter. It had Joyce, it had Neu!, and it had The Easybeats.

Yet we all do: I used Neu! last year, and every year they crop up somewhere. The Easybeats provided ‘Sorry’, its generic riffery proved among the weakest of Nuggets II picks by the synch-listen just a fortnight ago: hardly new, hardly exciting, hardly original: one poster pointed out that he’d used the same track last year and, again, I myself used an Easybeats track two or three seasons ago. And Joyce? Token Brazilian selection. Everyone talks about her. Yet she lacks the fizz and fun of Rita Lee, she spurns Rita’s flamboyant eclecticism for polite, already-dated tropicália. A mirrors my own choices, and finds itself wanting. It goes for something modern, something with sex, and what does it pick? Jhelisa Anderson; Jhelisa Anderson and her bland, acceptable trip-hop-lite. Yet you voted for her! You voted for her over, say, Mr Fingers; Mr Fingers and ’Can You Feel It’, a track which burns: even its name is erotic. There should be no choice: gorgeous, echoing, sensuous groove, or a woman dancing carefully around her own coffee table? Anderson is the DFS catalogue to Mr Fingers’ Victoria’s Secret; list A’s dogs playing poker an ashamed, vacuous counterpart to my list’s Sistine Chapel.

And you voted for it, you fools. You voted for it, because it wanted you to and because it begged you to. It had The Rolling Stones, it had The Kinks, it had The Lovin’ Spoonful, it had Jimmy Cliff, it had Gladys Knight, it had a token jazz and a token hip-hop track and it had Curtis Fucking Mayfield. Curtis Mayfield! Curtis If-Any-Artist-Embodies-Predictability-in-the-BCB-Cup-It’s-Me Mayfield. And it had Pere Fucking Ubu. It didn’t even have Pere Ubu in its first ten: it picked Pere Ubu, the most overused, overfamiliar band in the history of the fucking cup, in its second round five. The point at which most lists start to develop their personality, start to look for those surprising or inspiring tracks, start throwing in the ones which it knows might be a big risk, and list A throws in Pere-Fucking-BCB-Cup-All-Stars-Ubu.

And you fucking voted for it. You voted for it because you have no imagination, because you can’t use your brain. Because you were fooled by its heavyhanded, nothing-to-see-here nods to the world of music outside The Big Book of BCB Cup Clichés. You were idiots. You thought to criticize me because I picked ‘Use Me’: you thought that because two – two! Out of ninety-five! – other lists had chosen it, there must be some conspiracy. You didn’t think Withers was an artist who’d been discussed on BCB in the past year and had inspired new fans, no, you thought that three people had colluded to all use the same fucking song because for some stupid fucking reason they thought it might increase their chances of winning.

You feeble fucking morons. You don’t deserve my list: you don’t deserve ‘Fotheringay’ and ‘Dancing Girl’ with their delectable prettiness, and you don’t deserve the playful, electric ‘Uncontrollable Urge’, the unstoppable raunch of ‘Fairchild’ or the style and brains of ‘Street Life’. You should be fucking ashamed to be in the same fucking room as the gorgeous ‘Ocean’ or ‘Just Once in My Life’, as close as popular music has come to divinity. It disgusts me that I even considered allowing such ungrateful, helpless worms as you to experience this. My failing was in expecting you to appreciate it: you never could. Your minds just can’t cope. You should be kneeling and weeping before my list. Instead, you turn away in fear, confusion and dumb, animal stupidity.

My exit has proved one thing: my tastes are not those of BCB. And this, itself, has proved something else, something I know I can take with me and cling to as I leave the competition: by voting against me you have not destroyed or weakened me. You have done quite the opposite. You have strengthened me, proved for once and for all the thing I always thought I knew: my taste is clearly miles, miles better than yours.

You bunch of wankers.

Can I retrospectively switch my vote to A?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 10 Feb 2011, 23:43

Penk Ahoy! wrote:So you’ve done it. You’ve got what you’ve wanted. I’ve been beaten; I’m out of the way. Out of sight, out of mind. I’m out of the cup. I’m sure you’re happy now, BCB. Happy that you’ve put such a limp, premature end to my plans, to my hopelessly romantic, quixotic dream. You have spurned my list.

You bunch of wankers.

tl,dr

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 11 Feb 2011, 19:20

I am so bored with trying to pick songs from an almost infinite list now that the only way I can keep any interest in carrying on is by setting parameters, all be it loose ones.

So first ten were, as people spotted, women singers, can't get anything past you lot. Next 5 were cover versions, which was probably a mistake, I had a couple of much better lists on the bubble that I won't divulge as I will probably use them next year, if I can be arsed to enter.

I got over confident seeing the absolute shite that most people describe as the best songs ever, they seem to mainly consist of whiney singer songwriters, and so I held back better lists - like songs/artists with the word Hell in them - for later on.

I forgot to take into account that if people will actually posts lists of shite as their favourite songs they will probably vote for them as well, as had sadly proved to be the case. The fact that people will vote for a list containing the BeeGees and The Style Council reflects badly on us. I actually laughed and planned my onward march when I read that list but I forgot that 44 people would vote for a list where they hadn't even heard 50% of the artists before and actively disliked the other 50% because the other list was devoid of songs they could stroke the chins and look pained to.

Next year I won't be over-estimating the taste of BCB, if I can be bothered to take part, but I will be continuing with the themed lists in order to stave off brain death. Themes will include - Shit that people should be shot for listening to ( The Style Council, BeeGees etc ), shit no one has ever heard of but they will vote for so they don't look ignorant and I shall start with 10 of the greatest chin strokers of all time, nary a tune between them. I predict a quarter final position at the very least.

Going for fun songs that real people actually like has proved a busted flush.
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 11 Feb 2011, 19:34

Copehead wrote:I am so bored with trying to pick songs from an almost infinite list now that the only way I can keep any interest in carrying on is by setting parameters, all be it loose ones.

So first ten were, as people spotted, women singers, can't get anything past you lot. Next 5 were cover versions, which was probably a mistake, I had a couple of much better lists on the bubble that I won't divulge as I will probably use them next year, if I can be arsed to enter.

I got over confident seeing the absolute shite that most people describe as the best songs ever, they seem to mainly consist of whiney singer songwriters, and so I held back better lists - like songs/artists with the word Hell in them - for later on.

I forgot to take into account that if people will actually posts lists of shite as their favourite songs they will probably vote for them as well, as had sadly proved to be the case. The fact that people will vote for a list containing the BeeGees and The Style Council reflects badly on us. I actually laughed and planned my onward march when I read that list but I forgot that 44 people would vote for a list where they hadn't even heard 50% of the artists before and actively disliked the other 50% because the other list was devoid of songs they could stroke the chins and look pained to.

Next year I won't be over-estimating the taste of BCB, if I can be bothered to take part, but I will be continuing with the themed lists in order to stave off brain death. Themes will include - Shit that people should be shot for listening to ( The Style Council, BeeGees etc ), shit no one has ever heard of but they will vote for so they don't look ignorant and I shall start with 10 of the greatest chin strokers of all time, nary a tune between them. I predict a quarter final position at the very least.

Shaddap your Face - EMF. :?

You were going fine until your added five. Goat Boy's description proved all too apt.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 11 Feb 2011, 19:42

The Modernist wrote:
Copehead wrote:I am so bored with trying to pick songs from an almost infinite list now that the only way I can keep any interest in carrying on is by setting parameters, all be it loose ones.

Shaddap your Face - EMF. :?

You going were fine until your added five. Goat Boy's description proved all too apt.

It was a bit of a punt as I had far better themes to go, as I said, but I thought I could get away with it.

The EMF track is great, but probably not going to appeal to demographic that like men with plaid shirts, beards and acoustic instruments that we seem to have become.

CCS, Tricky and Madonna are unimpeachable, Marc Almond was a bit of a punt but was an extra little theme within a theme doing a Madonna song, EMF was a step too far, but I could have replaced it with Step On or The Cocteau Twins doing Santa Claus is coming to town and people would still have voted for the other list as it appears more intellectual and worthy, as it is, as well as being dull as ditchwater.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 11 Feb 2011, 19:46

Of course technically speakling I'm not sure Ray of Light is a cover. I think they took an existing song and added their own bits to it, so the credits are the original writers plus Orbit and Madonna,
Just sayin' like.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 11 Feb 2011, 20:14

The Modernist wrote:Of course technically speakling I'm not sure Ray of Light is a cover. I think they took an existing song and added their own bits to it, so the credits are the original writers plus Orbit and Madonna,
Just sayin' like.

I don't remember a saxophone solo in the original of Whole Lotta Love either, I think the tie needs to be cancelled and rerun with proper cover versions that are the same as the original.
;)

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 11 Feb 2011, 20:44

EMF and Madonna?

No wonder you lost.

Return to “2011 BCB Cup”