European Countries, Ranked from Worst to First

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

European Countries, Ranked from Worst to First

Postby GoogaMooga » 02 Nov 2019, 01:30

44 countries tried, tested, and ranked, with some real surprises in there: https://www.farandwide.com/s/european-c ... ne-vulture
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: European Countries, Ranked from Worst to First

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 Nov 2019, 16:40

"Tested"? As vacuous clickbait goes, this takes the fucking biscuit.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Hepcat

Postby Hepcat » 11 Nov 2019, 16:46

GoogaMooga wrote:44 countries tried, tested, and ranked, with some real surprises in there:

Fuck. You should have pecked out their ranking for us instead of reposting the clickbait.

:roll:

Hopefully your motivation wasn't a high "rating" given to Denmark.

:geek:

"That government governs best that governs least."

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 11 Nov 2019, 17:38

Hepcat wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:44 countries tried, tested, and ranked, with some real surprises in there:

Fuck. You should have pecked out their ranking for us instead of reposting the clickbait.

Are you addressing Minnie or me here? The so-called clickbait is just a turn of phrase...

I didn't post it to promote Denmark, no reason to. I really did it because I think it's the first time it's been done for all 44. I like some of the write-ups, and strongly disagree on some of the rankings, like UK at 40th, that is just ludicrous.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Hepcat

Postby Hepcat » 11 Nov 2019, 18:10

GoogaMooga wrote:
Hepcat wrote:

Are you addressing Minnie or me here?

You.

GoogaMooga wrote: The so-called clickbait is just a turn of phrase....

Nothing "so-called" about it. Clickbait refers to articles through which a reader must click repeatedly to read the whole thing. It's done by websites to artificially increase "views" for advertising revenue purposes. As such clickbait is both annoying to beat hell and a travesty.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 11 Nov 2019, 18:20

Even so, it still isn't clickbait, as I was the one who wrote that line and I didn't do it for readers to click more. What was I supposed to do, just post a link? Either way, the readers would have to click on the link. I certainly don't want to put together a 44 rankings list, don't have time for that.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 11 Nov 2019, 18:22

If you mean the way you have to click on each entry in order to get the whole list, then yes, I agree, that is very annoying.

Hepcat

Postby Hepcat » 11 Nov 2019, 18:24

Okay, okay, a few excerpts:

19. Lithuania

Kudos to Lithuania for telling the Soviets to shove it back in 1990 and starting the breakup of that union. It’s also believed that Lithuanian culture survived the Iron Curtain thanks to secret home schools and smuggled history texts, which makes its people sound really awesome.

We also like the country's surprisingly good basketball team and are super-jealous of its world’s-fastest-internet status.

18. Latvia

Admit it: George Costanza’s failed attempt to convert to Latvian Orthodox is your only experience with this former Soviet republic.

But while this Baltic state might not show up on anyone’s radar it’s home to some really interesting stuff. Its forests and generally unspoiled lands are unmatched in Europe, with stunning beaches to boot. And it hosts a weeklong Song and Dance Festival once every five years that’s truly epic.

And for Minnie even though she's turned her back on the place and embraced the philosophy of those who subjugated the country for 45 years:

17. Estonia

Estonia is the third and last of the Baltic states, which are much more worthy of Western tourism dollars than any Francophile or Anglophile will ever admit. No longer under the grip of the Soviet Union, Estonia has become a surprisingly compelling place to visit, with lots of medieval history, an exciting city in the form of Tallinn and one of the world’s most beautiful national parks, Lehamaa.

Also, it was the first country in the world to allow online voting in elections and has some of the world’s most mysterious meteorite craters. That has to count for something.

8-)
Last edited by Hepcat on 18 Nov 2019, 16:18, edited 6 times in total.

Hepcat

Postby Hepcat » 11 Nov 2019, 18:31

GoogaMooga wrote:I didn't post it to promote Denmark, no reason to.

Hah! You'll not convince me that a degree of cultural nationalism wasn't part of your motivation.

GoogaMooga wrote:What was I supposed to do, just post a link?

That's precisely what you did!

GoogaMooga wrote:Either way, the readers would have to click on the link.

Not if you had decently posted their rankings.

GoogaMooga wrote:I certainly don't want to put together a 44 rankings list, don't have time for that.

Posting the rankings would have taken you ten minutes.

So why did I not do it? Your thread, your responsibility.

;)

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 Aug 2020, 17:15

Hepcat wrote:
And for Minnie even though she's turned her back on the place and embraced the philosophy of those who subjugated the country for 45 years:

)

:shock:

:?

:lol:

What a weirdo he was!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Return to “All Around The World”