Post something you've learnt today

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Charlie O.

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Charlie O. » 22 Dec 2021, 18:06

Can you reveal your dentist's name? (I'm just curious to see if it's cropped up in my various readings. Probably not, but you never know.)

Six String

Postby Six String » 22 Dec 2021, 18:27

Charlie O. wrote:Can you reveal your dentist's name? (I'm just curious to see if it's cropped up in my various readings. Probably not, but you never know.)

Greg Maroni

Edited to correct spelling of his last name. I’m a little under the weather today with a major headache and my mistake came to me while in the shower.
Last edited by Six String on 22 Dec 2021, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 22 Dec 2021, 18:34

Story about the Who’s Next cover. They were looking for a place to shoot and came upon that concrete monolith and after wandering around one of them took a piss on it. So Ethan gets the idea to have the others do it except one problem. The others couldn't “go” so Ethan filled an empty film can with water and tossed it on the concrete to make it look they had all taken a leak on it.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 22 Dec 2021, 19:04

Cheers - nope, don't know the name!

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Dec 2021, 18:50

Crosswords were once viewed with some snobbery, hostility and fear when they were first introduced. Intellectuals sneered at them, and people complained that their family members and / or spouses were spending hours on them instead of with the family. There were songs written about the crossword obsessed- "Puzzle lady, you love to puzzle, but I'm gonna figure you out" - that kind of thing!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String

Postby Six String » 28 Dec 2021, 20:11

Minnie Cheddars wrote:Crosswords were once viewed with some snobbery, hostility and fear when they were first introduced. Intellectuals sneered at them, and people complained that their family members and / or spouses were spending hours on them instead of with the family. There were songs written about the crossword obsessed- "Puzzle lady, you love to puzzle, but I'm gonna figure you out" - that kind of thing!

It’s one of Rebecca’s favorite pastimes and one she shares with her daughter on a weekly basis.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 28 Dec 2021, 22:22

I'm also a fan, but not a nut. I do the regular ones (2 in French and 1 or 2 in English) pretty much every day. I view it as a past-time, a distraction. Not a need or a goal. I don't like ones where actual work is required, if you know what I mean. If I'm having the least bit of trouble filling one in, I'll simply go on to something else.

The French ones help me keep my spelling keen as I don't use it very much at all, especially in writing (Almost never. Only in text messages really).

I also do a couple of Sudokus and one Binairo every day. Often, they're the only reason I buy the paper(s).
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 29 Dec 2021, 14:11

I was looking into that genealogy thing and I found out who the distant cousin is who wrote and put on line fourteen (!) very long chapters entitled (my maternal grandmother's surname) Family Chronicles from 1779 to 1960. He mentions talking to my grandmother and knows about my dad and his older brother. He also put his own autobiography on line.

It seems from Belfast by way of Brasenose, Oxford and a Fulbright scholarship he arrived at Caltech where he's been a professor of mechanical engineering for 40 years plus.
He's 80 now and retired with a wife, 2 daughters and grand children.

Apparently, this is a Three-phase Flow Facility.

This photo he entitled Reading names at graduation.

There's also a 48.32 Caltech YouTube of a lecture he gave on Bubbles on line and it's strange to see him live and hear him speak, still with a Northern Irish accent but softened slightly by living in Ca.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Six String

Postby Six String » 29 Dec 2021, 19:59

I’ve been driving by Joan Didion’s childhood home for years and didn’t know it.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 01 Jan 2022, 21:56

I've learnt today that making a will together with the wife while making gumbo and drinking absinthe is lots of fun.
We should be writing wills every weekend!
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 04 Jan 2022, 19:13

Psithurism means "the sound of wind in trees or rustling leaves"

Six String

Postby Six String » 05 Jan 2022, 04:47

Hugh wrote:Psithurism means "the sound of wind in trees or rustling leaves"

Ooh I like that.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Flower

Postby Flower » 15 Jan 2022, 11:07

What happened on the potato supply chain that caused a fry shortage in Japan and a ban on Canadian spuds

https://qz.com/2111835/japan-south-afri ... shortages/
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 16 Jan 2022, 14:26

John Hall, founder of, and singer with the band Orleans, served as a Democrat in the House of Representatives and issued cease and desist notices to both George W and Jhhn McCain for using th Orlenas ong Still the one in their presidential campaigns without permission.
We're way past rhubarb

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 17 Jan 2022, 10:08

The Fish wrote:John Hall, founder of, and singer with the band Orleans, served as a Democrat in the House of Representatives and issued cease and desist notices to both George W and Jhhn McCain for using th Orlenas ong Still the one in their presidential campaigns without permission.

Didn't know that - excellent guitarist and a good guy, if a little over-earnest,

I have several Orleans albums and two solo albums from the late seventies. He was a co-founder of M.U.S.E. and author of their anthem, Power.

Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 17 Jan 2022, 14:33

Neige wrote:
The Fish wrote:John Hall, founder of, and singer with the band Orleans, served as a Democrat in the House of Representatives and issued cease and desist notices to both George W and Jhhn McCain for using th Orlenas ong Still the one in their presidential campaigns without permission.

Didn't know that - excellent guitarist and a good guy, if a little over-earnest,

Pretty sure I learned this on the Daily Show in the Jon Stewart days. He had a lot of fun with it.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 19 Jan 2022, 01:30

Road runners are members of the cuckoo family.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String

Postby Six String » 19 Jan 2022, 03:10

Minnie Cheddars wrote:Road runners are members of the cuckoo family.

That’s crazy.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 19 Jan 2022, 18:51

It is now illegal to work as a wedding singer in Afghanistan under the current Taliban regime.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Flower

Postby Flower » 23 Jan 2022, 18:09

Gary Burghoff is the inventor (U.S. Patent 5,117,577, U.S. Patent 5,235,774) of "Chum Magic", a fishing tackle invention that attracts fish toward the user's boat. Other Burghoff inventions include a toilet seat lifting handle (U.S. Patent D314322) and a new type of fishing pole.

:D
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Return to “Nextdoorland”