Post something you've learnt today

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Charlie O.

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Charlie O. » 16 Jan 2011, 05:31

Monkberry wrote:George Harrison wrote a follow up to While my guitar gently weeps called This Guitar (Can't Keep From Crying)'.

He wrote a third installment in the early '80s, but so far "If This Guitar Doesn't Turn Off The Waterworks Right Now And Shape Up I'll Damn Well Give It Something To Cry About" remains unreleased.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 16 Jan 2011, 11:04

I was reading about Unity Mitford the other day and I made the discovery that she was born in Swastika, Ontario which was spookily predictive given her later politics. It's quite weird that there is a Canadian town called Swastika in the first place.

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 16 Jan 2011, 11:08

Our toilet was used 27 times between 23:20 and 08:20.

Monkberry

Postby Monkberry » 16 Jan 2011, 11:20

The man who turned down the Beatles's Dick Rowe's son Richard Rowe works in music publishing (and made the deal to create a joint partnership with Michael Jackson to publish The Beatles catalogue as Sony/ATV when he ran the publishing division of Sony Music).

That must have been satisifying. I wonder if he set out to do it for revenge on behalf of his dad's hurt pride.
Proper music for proper people!

Monkberry

Postby Monkberry » 16 Jan 2011, 19:02

in 1969 Pete Best won a defamation lawsuit that he had filed against The Beatles following remarks Ringo Starr had made in a 1965 interview with "Playboy" magazine. In that interview, John Lennon commented to a reporter that Ringo had been with the group for a while before Best was let go, filling in during Pete's allegedly frequent illnesses. Ringo followed up the comment with "He took little pills to make him ill".

Monkberry

Postby Monkberry » 16 Jan 2011, 19:03

in 1965 Mao tse-tung gave the queen four Panda's which she called Cunt, Shit, Wank and Ringo.
Nah...i just made that up 'cause I'm so so so funny.

JQW

Postby JQW » 16 Jan 2011, 21:26

Victor Hayden, who was The Mascara Snake in Beefheart's Magic Band, designed a poster for Absolut Vodka in 1991.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

Monkberry

Postby Monkberry » 16 Jan 2011, 21:31

David McCallum of Man from U.N.C.L.E fame wrote music in the 60's. One peice called The Edge was sampled by Dr.Dre. for one of DRe's biggest hits!

Brin
Rogue element
Location: ''Trying to get to heaven before they close the door''

Postby Brin » 17 Jan 2011, 00:00

At £1.50 the mail on sunday is a fucking awful waste of dough
Beebsy wrote:The guys are wankers, we all know that.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 17 Jan 2011, 09:05

Monkberry wrote:David McCallum of Man from U.N.C.L.E fame wrote music in the 60's. One peice called The Edge was sampled by Dr.Dre. for one of DRe's biggest hits!

Off topic, but I find it amusing that the British actor in the old Man From Uncle pair has found a career booster by appearing in a US series (NCIS) whilst the American actor of the pair has done likewise in a British series (Hustle)

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 17 Jan 2011, 09:11

Archbishop G! wrote:I was reading about Unity Mitford the other day and I made the discovery that she was born in Swastika, Ontario which was spookily predictive given her later politics. It's quite weird that there is a Canadian town called Swastika in the first place.

Hadn't heard of it. Hmmmm.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Arthur Crud

Postby Arthur Crud » 17 Jan 2011, 10:23

My gallbladder's in superb nick!!

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 17 Jan 2011, 10:46

Petersham Pool is he cheapest around here, only $4.10 a visit
king of the divan

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 17 Jan 2011, 11:11

In paying off the last of the payments on my sofa (usually done by direct debit, but I have enough right now to pay it off early), I discovered it is possible to do a phone transaction without talking to a single live human being.
Yes, I've done stuff like this on the phone before ("Press 1 for X, press 2 for Y, etc) but after pressing through various nested menus, there's usually been a real live bod at the end. But not this time.
Way to go, customer service people!
:evil: :evil:

Monkberry

Postby Monkberry » 17 Jan 2011, 14:49

acc. to Barry Miles the pro-pot ad in The times in '67 cost £1,800! £1,800 in '67!!! You could have bought a few houses for that.

Monkberry

Postby Monkberry » 18 Jan 2011, 23:15

Paul McCartney's lawyer has left his wife for the wife of that guy who the police shot in Chelsea a few yrs. ago!

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 19 Jan 2011, 00:33

Loki wrote:
Archbishop G! wrote:I was reading about Unity Mitford the other day and I made the discovery that she was born in Swastika, Ontario which was spookily predictive given her later politics. It's quite weird that there is a Canadian town called Swastika in the first place.

Hadn't heard of it. Hmmmm.

Here you go

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika,_Ontario

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 19 Jan 2011, 00:46

Monkberry wrote:David McCallum of Man from U.N.C.L.E fame wrote music in the 60's. One peice called The Edge was sampled by Dr.Dre. for one of DRe's biggest hits!

Wriiten, produced and arranged by David Axelrod though. In fact I've never been very clear what McCallum's actual contribution was. I think he may have narrated some stuff on the parent album.

Monkberry

Postby Monkberry » 21 Jan 2011, 10:57

David Gilmour owns the painting that Julian Lennon did that...

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 21 Jan 2011, 14:34

That Isaac Asimov died of complications from an HIV infection contracted from blood he'd received during a heart bypass operation some years before. Rather like Arthur Ashe. :(

Return to “Nextdoorland”