Post something you've learnt today

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
Jimbly
Posts: 21558
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Jimbly » 11 Mar 2021, 11:51

Diamond Dog wrote:
Jimbly wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:
Is it? That's weird - what's the reason, Jim?


there's a wee pandemic on up here.


Yep. There's one on down here too.


Aye, no idea why the difference.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 14717
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: Zummerzet
Contact:

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Rayge » 11 Mar 2021, 19:38

Diamond Dog wrote:
Samoan wrote:I have to do a Census return for this year by 21 March 2021.
What a shambles. I only found out from my neighbourhood message board this morning.


Letters are being sent out this week to every address in the UK.


It's on or after the 21st, about the situation on the 21st, not before the 21st. Letting people do it online, rather than on paper, means that loads of households have already done it. That's the real shambles, statistically speaking.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 32283
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Minnie the Minx » 11 Mar 2021, 19:43

I had oats made with oat milk this afternoon and it definitely makes for a very oaty experience. There is such a thing as being over-oated is what I learnt.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 69276
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Mar 2021, 20:12

Rayge wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:
Samoan wrote:I have to do a Census return for this year by 21 March 2021.
What a shambles. I only found out from my neighbourhood message board this morning.


Letters are being sent out this week to every address in the UK.


It's on or after the 21st, about the situation on the 21st, not before the 21st. Letting people do it online, rather than on paper, means that loads of households have already done it. That's the real shambles, statistically speaking.


The option online is to report exactly what is forecast for the 21st . Not sure how accurate that will be though.
I have put the ignorant, inflammatory bore on ignore.

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 11381
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: The Glad Tidings Mission Hall

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Samoan » 12 Mar 2021, 13:55

Positive Passion wrote:
Samoan wrote:I have to do a Census return for this year by 21 March 2021.
What a shambles. I only found out from my neighbourhood message board this morning.


You don't have to do it "by" 21 March - you have to do it "on" 21 March. It is a snapshot of the population on a particular day - or night, actually, I think.

I love doing the census.

There seems to be a range of information and advice out there -

Questionnaires or letters will reach households in early March 2021 ready for completion before, on, or as soon as possible after census day (21 March 2021). Households can request a paper questionnaire via the census online help or telephone helpline if they cannot fill out the form online.

The census asks about ethnicity, gender and sexual orientation, religion and national identity. Each individual should decide how they would like to answer each question in a way that best represents them.

The information gathered via the census is used to help government and local councils plan the services and resources people need, eg transport, housing, healthcare and education. In London, Census data affects council funding for these important services by as much as £1,430 per person.
Online help at https://census.gov.uk/help/

Census contact options https://census.gov.uk/contact-us/



Decisions decisions.
Personally, I don't want to forget about it and then cop for the massive fine.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Six String
Posts: 21745
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Six String » 12 Mar 2021, 19:53

Minnie the Minx wrote:I had oats made with oat milk this afternoon and it definitely makes for a very oaty experience. There is such a thing as being over-oated is what I learnt.


Why am I not surprised? :P
Gone to hell
Back by eight.

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 12758
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Geezee » 13 Mar 2021, 09:09

I had no idea Murray “One Night in Bangkok” Head is brothers with Anthony Stewart “Buffy” Head.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 69276
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Diamond Dog » 14 Mar 2021, 12:37

There is an Icelandic word Gluggaveður (anglicised to gluggavedur) which means "window weather" or "weather that is nice to look at through the window but not nice to be out in.".
I love that word.
I have put the ignorant, inflammatory bore on ignore.

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 42787
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Charlie O. » 14 Mar 2021, 18:14

Diamond Dog wrote:There is an Icelandic word Gluggaveður (anglicised to gluggavedur) which means "window weather" or "weather that is nice to look at through the window but not nice to be out in.".
I love that word.

Heck, just the phrase "window weather" is wonderfully handy.
Image

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 3090
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Rorschach » 14 Mar 2021, 18:15

Yeah, that seems really useful.

I shall use it and pretend I invented it.
Bugger off.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 69276
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Diamond Dog » 14 Mar 2021, 18:24

Rorschach wrote:Yeah, that seems really useful.

I shall use it and pretend I invented it.


:lol:
I have put the ignorant, inflammatory bore on ignore.

User avatar
Flower
Posts: 9531
Joined: 05 Mar 2009, 22:22
Location: Unlisted

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Flower » 22 Mar 2021, 15:54

The World Naked Bike Ride is returning to Toronto this summer

https://www.blogto.com/radar/2021/03/wo ... onto-back/

Ditch your clothes and grab your two-wheeler, the World Naked Bike Ride is returning to the streets of Toronto this spring.

Both brave and shy riders are welcome, with some flaunting it all while others hang on to their tighty whities. The dress code is simply "As bare as you dare."

It's all in the name of a cleaner, safer, body-positiver world.

The liberating ride and global protest that takes place in cities all around the world gathers riders against pollution caused by cars, safer cycling streets and body freedom for all.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

User avatar
Jumper K
Posts: 2707
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 16:25

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Jumper K » 22 Mar 2021, 18:51

Flower wrote:The World Naked Bike Ride is returning to Toronto this summer

https://www.blogto.com/radar/2021/03/wo ... onto-back/

Ditch your clothes and grab your two-wheeler, the World Naked Bike Ride is returning to the streets of Toronto this spring.

Both brave and shy riders are welcome, with some flaunting it all while others hang on to their tighty whities. The dress code is simply "As bare as you dare."

It's all in the name of a cleaner, safer, body-positiver world.

The liberating ride and global protest that takes place in cities all around the world gathers riders against pollution caused by cars, safer cycling streets and body freedom for all.

Harv?

User avatar
harvey k-tel
Long Player
Posts: 40806
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:20
Location: 1220 on your AM dial

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby harvey k-tel » 22 Mar 2021, 18:53

Yeah man! D'you want to do a zoom call while I'm on my bike?
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

User avatar
souphound
World Class Ignoramus
Posts: 25946
Joined: 27 Oct 2003, 19:49
Location: Tralfamadore, with Montana Wildhack

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby souphound » 22 Mar 2021, 18:55

harvey k-tel wrote:Yeah man! D'you want to do a zoom call while I'm on my bike?



Cheeky monkey
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

User avatar
Jock
Posts: 9376
Joined: 31 Dec 2005, 10:59
Location: Guid aul' Killie

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Jock » 22 Mar 2021, 19:26

just found out my left hearing aid squeals during Neil Young's On The Beach :lol:
Always Cheated Never Defeated

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 32283
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Minnie the Minx » 23 Mar 2021, 00:24

When bees sleep they hold each other’s legs.

I’m so glad I found that out, it’s what I had always hoped!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 42787
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Charlie O. » 23 Mar 2021, 01:38

Hugh Cornwell learned to play bass from his school chum Richard Thompson.
Image

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 3090
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Rorschach » 23 Mar 2021, 07:11

Charlie O. wrote:Hugh Cornwell learned to play bass from his school chum Richard Thompson.


Wow. It feels like they're different generations.

Meanwhile...

I only just discovered that 'Stetson' is a brand of hats and not a style. The cowboy hat I've always believed was a Stetson is really a 'Boss of the Plains'.
Bugger off.

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 32283
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Minnie the Minx » 23 Mar 2021, 23:00

An easy way to tell a very small potato crisp from a claw your cat has shedded is to put them in your mouth at the same time whilst absentmindedly grazing on the sofa.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.