Post something you've learnt today

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Charlie O.

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Charlie O. » 23 Apr 2021, 23:03

Congratulations, mudshark (not something I would ordinarily say to someone with a collapsed lung)!

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 24 Apr 2021, 08:05

mudshark wrote:... just a collapsed lung ...

Interesting use of 'just'.

Very happy to hear it isn't anything worse, Eric.
Bugger off.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Apr 2021, 17:39

Sagana Lodge, not Treetops:
While it is true that the future Queen Elizabeth II was at Treetops the night King George VI died, she was not told until the day after, when she was at Sagana Lodge, 20 miles away. Treetops is not the official site of ascension to the throne.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Apr 2021, 01:44

mudshark wrote:I learned today that I don't have lung cancer as my wife was convinced was the case but just a collapsed long (Pneumothorax) was apparently can happen spontaneously, and that I never knew either. And I learned that Houston hospitals are amazingly efficicient: got there at 11:40, got the the CT Scan by 11:50 , at 12:05 I got back in the car and at 14:30 I had the results back.

Fucking hell love! What a day!

Glad you’re doing ok. Are you still in hospital?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String

Postby Six String » 25 Apr 2021, 03:11

mudshark wrote:I learned today that I don't have lung cancer as my wife was convinced was the case but just a collapsed long (Pneumothorax) was apparently can happen spontaneously, and that I never knew either. And I learned that Houston hospitals are amazingly efficicient: got there at 11:40, got the the CT Scan by 11:50 , at 12:05 I got back in the car and at 14:30 I had the results back.

Scary situation but glad it all turned out ok. Yeah, SOB and chest pain go to the front of the line. That’s shortness of breath for you laymen. :)
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 25 Apr 2021, 11:48

Thank you.
It was not an emergency or something. I’m an avid smoker and have been coughing for a couple of weeks. And I’ve been short of breath. My wife was convinced I had lung cancer, so much so that she pretty much convinced me. After 44 years of smoking about 30 packs a year it’s not a silly thought. I postponed going for the scan for about a month. And the result show a partially collapsed lung instead, which sort of explains the shortness of breath. I’m trying to quit the Marlboro now, for the umpteenth time. Which is probably why I’ve been awake since 3:30AM
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 27 Apr 2021, 22:00

mudshark wrote:Thank you.
It was not an emergency or something. I’m an avid smoker and have been coughing for a couple of weeks. And I’ve been short of breath. My wife was convinced I had lung cancer, so much so that she pretty much convinced me. After 44 years of smoking about 30 packs a year it’s not a silly thought. I postponed going for the scan for about a month. And the result show a partially collapsed lung instead, which sort of explains the shortness of breath. I’m trying to quit the Marlboro now, for the umpteenth time. Which is probably why I’ve been awake since 3:30AM

sending all best wishery to you.

i need to quit the marlboros too.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 27 Apr 2021, 22:00

hey, minnie. it won best documentary. sniff.

Flower

Postby Flower » 02 May 2021, 20:30

There's a baseball pitcher named Ian Anderson.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... ia01.shtml
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 02 May 2021, 23:02

kath wrote:hey, minnie. it won best documentary. sniff.

I saw!!!! So deserved.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 May 2021, 10:10

The Jefferson Airplane album "After Bathing At Baxter's" actually translates in the bands code of the time as "After Tripping On Acid" :)
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 03 May 2021, 13:33

Flower wrote:There's a baseball pitcher named Ian Anderson.

I used to work wth an Ian Anderson, but oddly never made the musical connection, and still work with a Tina Turner.

More unusually I used to work with a Lorne Greene.
We're way past rhubarb

Six String

Postby Six String » 03 May 2021, 16:36

We had a Doctor Pepper at one of the hospitals I worked at. It was humorous to here him paged on the intercom.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 03 May 2021, 16:42

Six String wrote:We had a Doctor Pepper at one of the hospitals I worked at. It was humorous to here him paged on the intercom.

Drinking Dr. Pepper while also consuming green tic tacs produces the distinct taste of dill.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 03 May 2021, 19:17

Dr. Baron wrote:
Six String wrote:We had a Doctor Pepper at one of the hospitals I worked at. It was humorous to here him paged on the intercom.

Drinking Dr. Pepper while also consuming green tic tacs produces the distinct taste of dill.

Seriously? I just might have to try that. Not a big consumer of tic tacs, but I might in this instance. Not that I'm crazy about dill either, just being curious.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Six String

Postby Six String » 03 May 2021, 19:48

When I was a kid we used to drink hot Dr. Pepper in a mug with a slice of lemon floating on top in the winter. Not sure if that is still a thing or not. My mom tells the story of being at the airport in New Jersey in 1958 on our way to Germany and she asked for a Dr. Pepper and they didn’t know what that was. It was created in her home town of Waco. So after getting that answer she asked for a glass of ice tea. They gave her one of those metal pitchers with hot water and a tea bag and a glass of ice. :lol:
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 03 May 2021, 19:59

souphound wrote:
Dr. Baron wrote:

Seriously? I just might have to try that. Not a big consumer of tic tacs, but I might in this instance. Not that I'm crazy about dill either, just being curious.

Yeah, when I worked in a record store we always had shitloads of tic tacs hanging around and ate everyday at the subway next door, so we always had a cup of soda hanging around. It was inevitable that the two would meet.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 04 May 2021, 17:13

Dr Kati Kariko almost gave up her mRNA research after having it ignored for years.

Dr Markus wrote:

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 05 May 2021, 07:27

The first ever intercontinental weapon was a balloon. The Japanese sent balloons with bombs attached floating over the Pacific via the Jet Stream, to land and explode in the US.
Bugger off.

HotRats

Postby HotRats » 05 May 2021, 11:21

Diamond Dog wrote:The Jefferson Airplane album "After Bathing At Baxter's" actually translates in the bands code of the time as "After Tripping On Acid" :)

Nice! It certainly makes a lot more sense now...

Return to “Nextdoorland”