Re: Who are you going to vote for?

Postby yomptepi » 02 Mar 2010, 22:53

Good lad!!! :D
You don't like me...do you?

Chuck

Postby Chuck » 02 Mar 2010, 23:01

Common Sense Checklist wrote:
The only reliable, durable, and perpetual guarantor of independence is profit.[/i]

What?! :o All the profit motive guarantees is you'll be given as little as possible as cheaply as possible and charged as much as possible for it. Yay! Let's see if there are some more national crown jewels we can sell off to the same taxpayers whose money paid to set them up in the first place!

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 02 Mar 2010, 23:05

Chuck_Yoghurt wrote:
Common Sense Checklist wrote:
The only reliable, durable, and perpetual guarantor of independence is profit.[/i]

What?! :o All the profit motive guarantees is you'll be given as little as possible as cheaply as possible and charged as much as possible for it. Yay! Let's see if there are some more national crown jewels we can sell off to the same taxpayers whose money paid to set them up in the first place!

I suspect Gordon already has his eyes on the crown jewells. He has already sold off all the gold, and is running out of stuff to sell...
You don't like me...do you?

Johnny Dumfries

Postby Johnny Dumfries » 02 Mar 2010, 23:07

yomptepi wrote:
I suspect Gordon already has his eyes on the crown jewells. He has already sold off all the gold, and is running out of stuff to sell...

You like Osbourne (George, not Ozzy) Yompy?
Think he'll be an improvement on Darling (no racism please)?

Johnny Dumfries

Postby Johnny Dumfries » 02 Mar 2010, 23:08

Common Sense Checklist wrote:The peerage was expressly given to Ashcroft 10 years ago on the specific understanding that he would change his non-dom status within 12 months.
Your mate Hague gave his guarantee.

RcL

Postby RcL » 03 Mar 2010, 02:01

django wrote:I doubt I'll vote. None of these people have done or said anything to make me feel like they deserve my vote.

I clicked the Lib Dems on the poll here, but like Django, I probably won't vote.

I'm annoyed that the TV shows are lined up to become a potential major voting factor - all three leaders are frankly poor - all have poor chancellors too - but all three parties have good and trustworthy politicians involved in the background. It's a weak time in UK politics with lots of quite powerful new characters biding their time till this grinding, dull election is over.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 03 Mar 2010, 03:16

Just remember, friends. It could be worse.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and- ... riginalsL1
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 03 Mar 2010, 08:30

Jesus Christ! I could hardly go on reading.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

sensi

Postby sensi » 03 Mar 2010, 08:37

I've got election apathy...I know who I'm going to vote for but I'm keeping that to myself...I have, however, made a brief one off return to the BCB cup to vote...I don't like electioneering in any form.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 03 Mar 2010, 08:58

Baron Frito Pie wrote:Just remember, friends. It could be worse.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and- ... riginalsL1

:shock: it takes some doing that *Glen Beck* comes across as the most sane of the bunch...!
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 03 Mar 2010, 09:26

River Man wrote:As for the difference between the two main parties I think you've missed a few posts. What I've read is not an ascertain that both are equally bad but rather a belief that the Tories would have gone further. it seems to me that in the hearts of most posters the fear of a Tory government (based upon the damage they did to the country last time around) is considered to be more of a risk than sticking with a flawed Labour. I resent the fact that this is what the election has become about, who do you fear the least. Yeah Labour win that contest but it's hardly what an election should be about. Makes me depressed.

So make a protest vote, or spoil your paper, or protest in the streets...

The most depressing thing about this thread is that so many posters are prepared to legitimise labour, despite their appauling civil liberties record because they are 'not as bad as the Tories are (or at least were 12 years ago).'
We get the government we deserve, and with that attitude frankly we deserve to get fucked up the arse with a red hot poker.

Which I understand is in the Labour manifesto.

But thats OK, because the Tories might use a white hot poker, so best be on the safe side eh? and ignore the Lib Dem 'quite cool but not very good' poker, and the Greens 'poker made out of twigs and shit'. A number of other poker/orrifice interfaces are available, including NON OF THE ABOVE!

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 03 Mar 2010, 09:29

corporate whore wrote:
River Man wrote:As for the difference between the two main parties I think you've missed a few posts. What I've read is not an ascertain that both are equally bad but rather a belief that the Tories would have gone further. it seems to me that in the hearts of most posters the fear of a Tory government (based upon the damage they did to the country last time around) is considered to be more of a risk than sticking with a flawed Labour. I resent the fact that this is what the election has become about, who do you fear the least. Yeah Labour win that contest but it's hardly what an election should be about. Makes me depressed.

So make a protest vote, or spoil your paper, or protest in the streets...

The most depressing thing about this thread is that so many posters are prepared to legitimise labour, despite their appauling civil liberties record because they are 'not as bad as the Tories are (or at least were 12 years ago).'
We get the government we deserve, and with that attitude frankly we deserve to get fucked up the arse with a red hot poker.

Which I understand is in the Labour manifesto.

But thats OK, because the Tories might use a white hot poker, so best be on the safe side eh? and ignore the Lib Dem 'quite cool but not very good' poker, and the Greens 'poker made out of twigs and shit'. A number of other poker/orrifice interfaces are available, including NON OF THE ABOVE!

You could see it like that, or you could see it as the most pragmatic way of operating in our flawed system.

Realistically it is a two horse race. Both horses are rotten old nags, but there is one you dislike less. A protest vote or spolied ballot is just handing victory to the other more despised lot - and lets be clear it is just pissing in the wind - no one is listening or cares... a footnote on the 6 o'clock news at most: "the lowest turnout in 30 years" or somesuch.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 03 Mar 2010, 09:42

If Labour said they were going to randomly shoot a dozen people each week, most of the Labour apologists on here would still vote for them because it keeps those oh-so-eeeevil Tories out.

doctorlouie
AKA Number 16 Bus Shelter

Postby doctorlouie » 03 Mar 2010, 09:47

Martin's right, of course.

What I've advocated for a while is the formation of a party called None Of The Above. If you believe it's important to vote, but are dissatisfied with the options you get to vote for the None Of The Above party, rather than spoiling your paper. They have to read out how many votes that party would get and everyone would know that it's a vote against the system as it stands. Any successful candidates for the None Of The Above party would step down immediately and force Bye-Elections.

Are you with me?

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 03 Mar 2010, 09:48

Miles Cholmondley-Warner wrote:If Labour said they were going to randomly shoot a dozen people each week, most of the Labour apologists on here would still vote for them because it keeps those oh-so-eeeevil Tories out.

You are the Daily Mail and I claim the £5 :lol:
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 03 Mar 2010, 10:17

corporate whore wrote:So make a protest vote, or spoil your paper, or protest in the streets...

One year I made a 'protest' vote. Went to the polling station and put the ballot slip in the box blank. Didn't vote for anyone.

It didn't count. There was no mention of it. Nobody knew. So, I think it was pretty much a waste of time.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 03 Mar 2010, 10:20

Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 03 Mar 2010, 10:23

Miles Cholmondley-Warner wrote:If Labour said they were going to randomly shoot a dozen people each week, most of the Labour apologists on here would still vote for them because it keeps those oh-so-eeeevil Tories out.

and?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 03 Mar 2010, 10:24

Deebank wrote:

You are the Daily Mail and I claim the £5 :lol:

"Labour apologists" :D

It seems to me that this is not the issue. The issue is that most of the people who are disillusioned with Labour *should* be voting LibDem, but they see it as a dead vote. I'm no LibDem by any stretch of the imagination, but that situation is truly sad. If you are a conservative, or feel that David Cameron is making alot of sense, then so be it, of course vote Tory, but any vote for Tory that is mainly based on the fact that Labour sucks is utterly shameful in my opinion.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Return to “Nextdoorland”