Ready dinners

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Ready dinners

Postby GoogaMooga » 11 Jan 2022, 19:14

READY DINNERS
They used to be called TV dinners when they first appeared in supermarkets in the US in the 1950s, coinciding with families getting fridges with freezers. The first really successful TV dinner was developed in 1953 by C.A. Swanson & Sons and was called "TV Brand Frozen Dinner". It came in an aluminum tray, ready to be heated in an oven. Ideal for bachelors who hated to cook, or busy housewives who needed a well deserved break from the daily drudgery of cooking. Oh, how I hate cooking from scratch! Add up all the ingredients and it is actually more expensive, not to say time-consuming, than popping a frozen ready meal in the microwave. One thing has not changed since 1953: they are not very appetizing or delectable. But what to do? I just don't want to cook from scratch, even if I can fry a mean steak. Most ready meals in Denmark are chicken-based; I have yet to find any with lamb, or duck, for that matter. Processed chicken is SO boring. I only pick at it. So once a week, I like to treat myself to a restaurant meal or a fancy takeout, or "takeaway", as they say in the UK. My favorite scene in "The Loved One" is the fat mama sitting in front of the television set with her TV dinner tray. That film is from 1965 and is in glorious black and white, just like the old TV shows that she would be watching. I am not ashamed that I eat ready meals. The trend here is more and more such meals available, as single life becomes more normal, in step with the high divorce rates.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Re: Ready dinners

Postby der Freiherr » 11 Jan 2022, 20:48

GoogaMooga wrote:The trend here is more and more such meals available, as single life becomes more normal, in step with the high divorce rates.

How does the alleged "trend" of increasing availability of these meals have to do with the alleged normalization of single life and/or "high divorce rates?"

Also, if preparing food is too time consuming, how on earth are you spending your time?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 11 Jan 2022, 22:47

Why not take an interest in cooking, research and learn to cook from scratch meals, there are a ton of Youtube cooking vids and cooking becomes a fun pastime not a chore and no more crappy TV dinners!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 11 Jan 2022, 22:52

der Freiherr wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:The trend here is more and more such meals available, as single life becomes more normal, in step with the high divorce rates.

How does the alleged "trend" of increasing availability of these meals have to do with the alleged normalization of single life and/or "high divorce rates?"

Also, if preparing food is too time consuming, how on earth are you spending your time?

More divorces, more singles (at least temporarily), but it even goes beyond the bachelor/single life, there is a growing trend in the West for easy ready dinners. Grandma's cooking skills are becoming more and more a lost art. This is not just my opinion, I have over the years seen it mentioned numerous times, but no, I don't have a link.

How do I spend my time? For the most part on pop culture, and I sleep, I smoke, I take walks. I've got so much unread stuff, so many unseen films, and even with CDs I am lagging behind. Of course cooking is time consuming. Shopping for all those ingredients, which add up, preparing and cooking, it's a chore. But some people take delight in cooking, and good for them.
Last edited by GoogaMooga on 12 Jan 2022, 00:26, edited 2 times in total.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 11 Jan 2022, 22:55

Mike Boom wrote:Why not take an interest in cooking, research and learn to cook from scratch meals, there are a ton of Youtube cooking vids and cooking becomes a fun pastime not a chore and no more crappy TV dinners!

I eat a good meal once a week, otherwise I get by on ready dinners, preferably as balanced as possible. I know they are short on veg, but I supplement. I'll never cook from scratch. One reason I lived in hostels with full board for so long. And why I joined a vegetarian club in my youth, where you could eat ad libitum for like 3 bucks only.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 11 Jan 2022, 23:45

Not sure it’s all about single life and prepared meals. It’s common in every store now and plenty of families buy too. My standard week- two nights at a restaurant, 4 nights cooking and One night A prepared meal from a specialty food shopping store. However under covid eating out nights have turned to mostly prepared meals. Although typically add to them.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 12 Jan 2022, 00:27

Yes, I'd add the deli section in a large supermarket.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 12 Jan 2022, 01:01

I'm pretty much a live-alone, lazy bastard who doesn't really enjoy cookingt (I do like baking though, very rewarding) or eating for that matter.

As I'm responding here, I'm eati what I just cooked for myself tonight. Diced chicken breast (bought deboned, no skin) with mushrooms and tinned mini ears of corn, cooked in a bit of olive oil. I mixed this with rice I cooked on the side and a prepared sweet & sour sauce with honey added in for good measure (and to finish my small jar of honey in time for tonight's weekly recycling pick-up.

The chicken was the most expensive of course, C$5.50. the rice was practically free, the corn about a buck as were the mushrooms. The sauce was a couple. So, C$10 or US$8 total. And this yielded two good-sized portions (luch tomorrow perhaps?)

Took me 20 minutes to the plate. The dishes will take me 10.

"tis delicious.

Partially in order to control what I eat, especially the amount of salt and preservatives in it, I hardly ever eat out or buy ready-meals. This is especially true now with remote working from home, but even when I went to the office daily, I would bring my own lunch at least 90% of the time, even if we had perfectly healthy options right downstairs.

Ultimately, it takes very little effort when you get down to it and it is kind of rewarding.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 12 Jan 2022, 07:33

It's not just cooking, I find life is very complicated. I could be institutionalized, or at least eligible for a group home placement, as many Aspergers are. But I value my individual fredom and I need adequate living space to collect stuff. So I bumble along, and cope as best I can.