Positive Passion

Desmond Tutu RIP

Postby Positive Passion » 26 Dec 2021, 10:07

A giant.

never/ever

Re: Desmond Tutu RIP

Postby never/ever » 26 Dec 2021, 10:50

Very sad to see his passing today...
One of the few public religious people who I truly believe represent what belief should all be about, even if it meant opposing those who are in direct line with Catholic dogma and worldly power structures.
Indeed, a giant.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

C
Robust

Postby C » 26 Dec 2021, 15:38

never/ever wrote:Very sad to see his passing today...
One of the few public religious people who I truly believe represent what belief should all be about, even if it meant opposing those who are in direct line with Catholic dogma and worldly power structures.
Indeed, a giant.

Spot on Maarts

C wrote:Just blank the fucque-wit

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 26 Dec 2021, 17:12

Few are those that leave as deep a mark in humanity, for the good. He will be missed and hopefully his legacy endures the times to come.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 26 Dec 2021, 23:08

RIP indeed. Agree with what's been said so far - he walked the walk.

It also brought back an amusing memory for me. In the mid-90s I had a roommate (he's never actually posted here, but he did attend a JU in London when pillowz and I were over in '09), whose mother was (I presume up until his death) Bishop Tutu's personal secretary. At the time Stuart and I worked for the same Market Research company in L.A.

When Bishop Tutu came to L.A. to speak at a local church, Stuart's mom asked if, when he was there, could he please check in on her son? He agreed to do so. Our company at that time had one main phone number, and receptionist sitting at a desk routing calls, then announcing, over intercom, who was calling and for whom. So the day that he spoke, the people who shared an office with him were treated to the sound of the oblivious receptionist announcing over the speaker, "Stuart...you have a call on line one. I didn't catch his name...Desmond something?" Never ended up meeting the man, but Stuart assures me that they shared a good laugh over that one.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2022?