Welcome to the Pleasuredome

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
C
Robust

Welcome to the Pleasuredome

Postby C » 19 Dec 2021, 12:23

Richard Rogers RIP: Millennium Dome architect.

He first came to prominence with his radical designs for the Pompidou Centre in Paris and the Lloyd's of London building.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59715838

C wrote:Just blank the fucque-wit

Positive Passion

Re: Welcome to the Pleasuredome

Postby Positive Passion » 21 Dec 2021, 02:26

The dome is ace in its simplicity. The Lloyds building is magnificent.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 21 Dec 2021, 03:17

I visited the Lloyds building in '93. It was indeed wonderful.

The dome was not even being built last time I was in England, what, 25-26 years ago? Still, even in pictures it looks awesome. I can only try to imagine seeing it with my own eyes.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 21 Dec 2021, 08:14

He designed this piece of shit on the outskirts of Barcelona.
Apart from being bloody ugly, it was designed with little thought for certain practical matters.
The flying saucer bit was a Michelin star restaurant and my wife and I were given a present of a free meal there by the wife of the hotel owner. (She was a student of mine). We went for one of those tasting menus with about 15 courses and a different wine with every course. Being the plebs we are, we didn't like to leave any wine in the bottle so we got pretty tanked up, and by the fifth course we started to need to go for a piss every ten minutes. Sadly, there are no toilets in the restaurant and you have to take a lift down to the next floor every time.
Not long after, they had to close it for a few years because it leaked when it rained.

It seems to be a trend in Barcelona. There's this local arsehole called Bofil who gets huge commissions to design stuff that he just gets wrong. Works of art that don't actually work.
Bugger off.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 21 Dec 2021, 08:28

souphound wrote:
The dome was not even being built last time I was in England, what, 25-26 years ago? Still, even in pictures it looks awesome. I can only try to imagine seeing it with my own eyes.

As a Londoner, It really isn't all that - the OP photo vastly misrepresents it's appearance and is a professional shot. It's not illuminated every night like that at all - except for very special occasions like Millenium night and probably in 2012 during the Olympics.

At ground level by the river - (which is a wonderful place for a stroll as London is all about the wide, powerful Thames) - for me, it's just a concert venue that you make your way into. There's a variety of bars, burger joints, Nandos and stalls selling merchandise - places like that inside for pre-concert refreshment.
It's not a place you'd specifically go to see as a tourist attraction unless you happen to be a student of architecture.

It probably looks quite funky if you flew over it and had an aerial view.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 21 Dec 2021, 09:28

Samoan wrote:
At ground level by the river - (which is a wonderful place for a stroll as London is all about the wide, powerful Thames) .

This is absolutely true. The river is London’s glory.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 21 Dec 2021, 14:18

That '93 visit I mentioned was work-related and was for the entire month of June. I had a really nice place in Wapping, with a terrace right on the Thames. It was really very nice indeed. I remember taking lots and lots of walks alongside the river and even riding the river buses to Greewich and to The City.

From Wapping, the South side didn't look like all that much at the time. I'm sure the view has changed a bit since.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 21 Dec 2021, 16:50

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your time there and as you say, going by boat is a marvellous way to take in the city.

Yes, there's a lot more going on south of and across the river now with The Shard, the Millenium bridge and the M16 building, which some folk don't care for but personally I love.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

C
Robust

Postby C » 22 Dec 2021, 16:06

souphound wrote:The dome was not even being built last time I was in England, what, 25-26 years ago? Still, even in pictures it looks awesome. I can only try to imagine seeing it with my own eyes.

It is indeed fantastic and you can walk across the top of it now!

It was completed in 1999.

The wiki page is nice

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-mKetnux-lWY/T ... 1+copy.jpg

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 22 Dec 2021, 17:20

Is the SpaceX launch pad on top of that monstrosity, or are those the last surviving members of the Heaven's Gate Cult making their way up to the alien spaceship which has been somewhat delayed?
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 22 Dec 2021, 21:00

C wrote:
souphound wrote:The dome was not even being built last time I was in England, what, 25-26 years ago? Still, even in pictures it looks awesome. I can only try to imagine seeing it with my own eyes.

The wiki page is nice

I climbed over it a few years ago - I like that kind of thing - we went in March, and it snowed on us.

C
Robust

Postby C » 23 Dec 2021, 17:33

Positive Passion wrote:
C wrote:

The wiki page is nice

I climbed over it a few years ago - I like that kind of thing - we went in March, and it snowed on us.

Well done!

I'm not too keen on heights...!