Brutal.Sadistic. Savage.

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Positive Passion

Brutal.Sadistic. Savage.

Postby Positive Passion » 15 Dec 2021, 08:01

That is the tagline for a TV series on BBC iplayer. Is this really the kind of thing people want to watch?

Darkness_Fish

Re: Brutal.Sadistic. Savage.

Postby Darkness_Fish » 15 Dec 2021, 08:18

Sounds more like a perfume ad voice-over.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 15 Dec 2021, 09:07

Darkness_Fish wrote:Sounds more like a perfume ad voice-over.

:D If only

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 15 Dec 2021, 16:44

Not a Christmas special I hope.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 15 Dec 2021, 17:10

CBBs?

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 15 Dec 2021, 17:17

Positive Passion wrote:That is the tagline for a TV series on BBC iplayer. Is this really the kind of thing people want to watch?

Mrs Brown’s Boys?
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

robertff

Postby robertff » 16 Dec 2021, 12:40

Hm, if it’s anything like some of their recent new series it’ll be pretty tame stuff, the BBC just doesn’t seem able to compete with the likes of All 4 for decent series, most of which seem to come from abroad.

I’m not necessarily looking for something that is described by the three words above but it would be great to find something produced by the BBC which has just a little more drama/bite to it. Any decent series they have shown in recent times does seem to have come from abroad and is on BBC 4. I guess it just depends what you want to watch, have to say I rarely watch BBC, usually All 4, Netflix, Prime or Now TV.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 16 Dec 2021, 12:53

robertff wrote:Hm, if it’s anything like some of their recent new series it’ll be pretty tame stuff, the BBC just doesn’t seem able to compete with the likes of All 4 for decent series, most of which seem to come from abroad.

I’m not necessarily looking for something that is described by the three words above but it would be great to find something produced by the BBC which has just a little more drama/bite to it. Any decent series they have shown in recent times does seem to have come from abroad and is on BBC 4. I guess it just depends what you want to watch, have to say I rarely watch BBC, usually All 4, Netflix, Prime or Now TV.

Yes. Really I am more bothered about the way it is being marketed than about what the actual content is, though I do think there can be an issue with some TV crime shows focussing rather too much on violence towards women.

Samoan

Re: Brutal. Sadistic. Savage.

Postby Samoan » 16 Dec 2021, 14:22

robertff wrote:Hm, if it’s anything like some of their recent new series it’ll be pretty tame stuff, the BBC just doesn’t seem able to compete with the likes of All 4 for decent series, most of which seem to come from abroad.

I’m not necessarily looking for something that is described by the three words above but it would be great to find something produced by the BBC which has just a little more drama/bite to it.

Shame.
You clearly missed Shetland and Vigil.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

robertff

Postby robertff » 16 Dec 2021, 19:24

Samoan wrote:

I’m not necessarily looking for something that is described by the three words above but it would be great to find something produced by the BBC which has just a little more drama/bite to it.

Shame.
You clearly missed Shetland and Vigil.

Saw Vigil and thought it was poor, the storyline ridiculous and completely unbelievable. As for Shetland it’s just dull and I gave up on it after the first two or three but horses for courses, if you liked them that’s fine.

If you have never come across Spiral I would heartily recommend that to you. It used to be screened on BBC 4 but then they lost it to another station, now that’s a series worth watching and shows what can be done with a series. Goliath, Tin Star, Start Up, Money Heist, Ozark are all superb, not on BBC and knock spots off most BBC series with the possible exception of Line of Duty. Of course this is only my opinion.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 17 Dec 2021, 09:16

Anyway..
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 17 Dec 2021, 19:12

In Houston we have KUHT, public television. They do a lot of BBC. On Thursday it's Father Brown, Death in Paradise and Shakespeare & Hathaway. On Saturday Midsommer Murders and Inspector Morse/Lewis. Has been like this for years and I'm still lapping it up. Of course, I doze off a couple of times but that's all part of the experience.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over